Rossignol super 7 vs Salomon rocker2 108

Debating between these two skis. I haven't found much out there in the way of direct comparison since Rossi went to the new design with the honeycomb tip and tail last season. Anyone been on both and have some insight/comparisons?

Ski mainly the Whistler area in BC, sometimes Rogers Pass. Most days I skin for most of my runs. Probably mount them with beast 14s. 6'4", 180 lbs.

Soul 7 and Rocker 2 108 would be a more equitable comparison, both fine skis and suitable for setting up as a touring rig, though personally I'd go for the Q-105 over either.

New Super 7s max out at 188cm right? I'd think that might be a problem.

I'm the same size as you, and had the original super 7s in a 195. Between the shape, and the shorter than listed actual length they were way too short. The skis would have been great, I am just too damn big for them. I've never gone over the bars as often as I did on those. Playing with the mount point didn't help (I've had success with +- adjustments in the past). They work much better for my less aggressive sub six foot friend.

I know it's not the same ski, and I know changes have been made to the design, but I would be very hesitant to buy a 188cm Rossi at our height. I'd definitely demo before buying, if not look elsewhere completely.
    Last edited by TexasGortex; 10-21-2014 at 08:10 AM.

^^^ He's looking to put a touring rig on this. And he weighs 180, so thin guy. That doesn't argue for 190-something. And the new Super 7's are a very different ski. Meanwhile, agree with gregL; the Soul 7 is the better comparison to the Rocker 2 108, and it makes more sense to tour on than the Super 7. From everything I've heard about the 108, nice ski that's more focused on freestyle than the Soul. Draw your own conclusions...

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    ^^^ He's looking to put a touring rig on this. And he weighs 180, so thin guy. That doesn't argue for 190-something. And the new Super 7's are a very different ski. Meanwhile, agree with gregL; the Soul 7 is the better comparison to the Rocker 2 108, and it makes more sense to tour on than the Super 7. From everything I've heard about the 108, nice ski that's more focused on freestyle than the Soul. Draw your own conclusions...
    Pretty much the last part. Fun, short radius ski. Not all that stiff. Really more for fun and playing around on the mountain. The recommended mount was very center-ish. I went well past that for a more traditional mount and they were still fun. The front rocker is long and starts close to the front of the binding.

I think I remember seeing that Mike Douglas was using the R2 108 in 184 as his touring rig when the ski debuted.

I'm 6'4" and 175lbs.

I'm not saying he should tour on 215cm skis, just that the predecessor wasn't a good fit for me. It wasn't only the length, but all the attributes (rocker profile, mount point, flex etc) that came together to make it too short for me. It's probably the same positive attributes that made it easy for a lot of people to ski.

I'm quite certain there are many skis that would work great in a 188cm. I'd just be sure to demo before buying a short Rossi because skiing short seems to have been a frequent characteristic of their skis.

Thanks for the input guys. Any other thoughts from you or others? Super 7s too heavy to tour on? Rocker2 108s are too soft/little? Agree/disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by PanPan View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. Any other thoughts from you or others? Super 7s too heavy to tour on? Rocker2 108s are too soft/little? Agree/disagree?
    R2 108s aren't too soft if you're during mid-winter touring. In fact, they are an ideal ski for me for that purpose. Unfortunately, they are really heavy. They'd be fine for short trips or slackcountry stuff, but nothing of any distance.

Yes, the two skis you're looking at are too heavy. Period. You can do better.

I have skied the new Super 7. A bit softer but it skis more like a Wailer 112 Hybrid than it does the first generation S7 or Super 7. Skied the 180 and the 188. 188 I could charge at will. 180 I had to turn it down a notch but it never dove on me. Conditions were 6"-12" of day old windblown CO pow. I'm 5' 10" and 190lbs. I haven't skied the Rocker2 108.

Buddy works in a local shop and I asked him to weight a couple of skis for you.

Super 7 188cm was 8.8lbs.
    Super 7 180cm was 8.6lbs.
    Rocker2 182cm was 9.3lbs.

The Super 7 is not heavy. 188 is plenty of length. The soul 7 is a perfect touring ski, also not heavy...and stop comparing the new Super 7 to the first gen. Except for a name and manufacturer they have absolutely nothing in common, not one single attribute worth mentioning.

Haven't skied the R2.

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    The soul 7 is a perfect touring ski, also not heavy...
    If the OP is stuck on a Rossi ski and needs a versatile backcountry ski, the Soul is certainly the ticket. I hear a lot of people say great things about using it is a touring ski.