spook Guest

prolozone therapy: anybody try it?

might be an option for me that is covered. i've had several series of facet joint injections and the acupuncturist who worked on me after i got tboned has somebody in his clinic doing it. he said it's excellent for knees, too.

Buddy of mine who tele's at Snowbowl had a partial ACL tear a couple years ago. He did that therapy and was back to Tele within 45 days. He swears by it.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

No personal experience, but if you do it please let us know how it turns out. I'm interested.

I threw away the braces I'd been skiing in for 13 years after a couple injections.
    It's all about the formula.

Gimp Central, JONG.

I believe its a treatment touted to address ligament laxity/instability. I know that good old fashioned core strengthening has a lot more favorable evidence in it's corner. Numerous examples of folks with grade 3 and 4 instabilities that are able to function provided they keep themselves strong.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jma233 View Post
    I believe its a treatment touted to address ligament laxity/instability. I know that good old fashioned core strengthening has a lot more favorable evidence in it's corner. Numerous examples of folks with grade 3 and 4 instabilities that are able to function provided they keep themselves strong.
    i'm hoping to do both. I've relied on strengthening but have enough other problems that my body breaks down pretty easily, or randomly is maybe better. I'm hoping the prolozone stuff can help keep my pain level and inflammation down enough to allow me to be more consistent.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Gimp Central, JONG.
    happy?

Anybody have any additional experience? Any reason NOT to do it?

My PRP doc moved. I found a new one locally who is cheaper (nice), but combines prolozone with PRP -- my understanding is it's a syringe of prolozone then a syringe of PRP using the same needle.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Any reason NOT to do it?
    RCTs indicate that it's not more effective than injecting saline or dextrose:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4644302/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8356009/

Went to my orthopod today for an arthritic knee and torn meniscus. We discussed the various injections: steroid (cortisone/lidocaine), gel (hyaluronic acid), prolozone and dextrose. He told me that prolozone and/or dextrose is something utilized by Chiropractors and steroids and gel are ortho. protocol. I received a steroid injection. We will see how it goes.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Good luck!
    watch out for snakes