Page 192 of 230 FirstFirst ... 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 ... LastLast
Results 4,776 to 4,800 of 5745
    Love that sky In background of TC's pics.

Def glad you escaped, Rob. Sounds like it was a scary day up there.
    Uno mas

Sounds like a sketchy weekend on MTW, glad everyone came out OK!

Thx once again for the pics TC, fkna man that was a great tour yesterday. Here is the vid:

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Thanks for sharing Rob. I definitely got some food for thought from your experience and very glad you were not taken down to the trees.....
    Yeah, glad Rob paid attention to his spidey sense as much as he did. A less cautious approach could have been quite unpleasant.

When I read Jeff's information, I wondered who was giving him so much detail about the Oakes slide.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    ..Robrox look forward to the trip report, that sounds wild.
    Now that is April second, remember that yesterday was April Fool's Day.
    Last edited by robrox; 04-02-2015 at 12:05 PM.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Quote Originally Posted by gpetrics View Post
    W

All available evidence--from MWAC reports to Internet TRs to my own field observations--screamed to me that slides were certain on east facing steep terrain Saturday and Sunday. Our tests showed small deposits on the steeper micro pockets on the easties failing obviously and effortlessly. IMO both Saturday and Sunday on steep east facing terrain (from GG to FC) were games of estimating "where will the slide take me if I get caught?" and not "will it slide?"

I don't like that game, and we chose not to play it. The turns looked oh-so-sweet though...

I think some people might have believed the MWAC was crying wolf, and there was a weekend inflation component to the "considerable" ratings those days. Personally I rated the bowls at "extreme" though; human triggered avalanches were certain IMO.

Actually I did not. Glad you're ok.
    I'm not busting your balls at all, we had a similar plan but bailed for the daks. Obviously your assessment was correct and some others including Lane's were not.

All I was trying to say was that 95% the problem is ignorant people that really probably shouldn't be up there however the take away I believe in this set of incidents is slightly different. The reality of that place and the incredible spatial nature of the pack up there means sometimes reasonable people get in bad situations. Mr. Lane was clearly wrong but he's a reasonable, educated person who knows generally speaking what goes on up there. It's a reminder of the true nature of the rock pile.

Glad to hear everyone was ok that's all that really matters.

In a completely unrelated matter if anyone has been up near Dix pm me if you would.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Quote Originally Posted by robrox View Post
    Ready to drop in for run two on Sunday.

4" of creamy pow on styrofoam. Skied nice.
    Nice Rob...that looks familiar.

Glad you're ok Neu. I set one off years ago, similar in the fact that it triggered below my skis. I shit my pants as it dropped away. Certainly an unnerving moment. Any one of us that plays in these mtns will be exposed to a potential danger and sometimes it can be a matter of luck...and I say that loosely, meaning in practice you cannot access every yard of snow you are about to ascend or descend. I thought Jeff summed it up well here - Over the last several years, I’ve changed one of my beliefs about avalanches. I used to believe that every time a person was involved in an avalanche, a mistake had been made. Nowadays I don’t think this is always the case, but here, I will admit to having made mistakes in this incident.

Two of my best friends were up there that day also. I was on the fence going with them, but opted for a lift ride with my son instead. They were in my house and I preached (by no means am I an avi expert, probably the opposite as all I've done is read the mountaineers avi handbooks and some live field experience...and my house getting hit by one ) to them about the current potential hazards...to the point that my wife called me a buzz kill Thankfully the made some good decisions and they were also lucky.

Like usual, sweet pics TC!

Last edited by strawjack; 04-02-2015 at 01:31 PM.

The forecast is calling for up to a foot of new snow in the Chic Chocs! We're gonna need pics from our brothers to the north!

Peel away corn at Sunapee this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post

I had the pleasure of seeing SS at a small bar about 12 years ago and doing quite a few shots with them after the show. Great guys. Incredible musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    I had the pleasure of seeing SS at a small bar about 12 years ago and doing quite a few shots with them after the show. Great guys. Incredible musicians.

SS always put on great shows. So much fun seeing them at small venues as they were always accessible before during and after the show for shots. I was lucky enought to see them on my wedding night in lahina Hawaii.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    The forecast is calling for up to a foot of new snow in the Chic Chocs! We're gonna need pics from our brothers to the north!
    We're hopingzz around here, walk is shorter than the drive.

Friday Night A chance of rain and snow before 1am, then snow. Low around 24. West wind 6 to 10 mph becoming northeast after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
    Saturday Snow, mainly before noon. High near 26. Windy, with a northwest wind around 28 mph, with gusts as high as 47 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Edit: Mansfield add

Friday Night Snow, mainly after 1am. Low around 24. West wind 5 to 13 mph becoming northeast after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
    Saturday Snow, mainly before 1pm. High near 24. Wind chill values as low as -2. Windy, with a northwest wind around 26 mph, with gusts as high as 46 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
    Last edited by Vt-Freeheel; 04-02-2015 at 06:19 PM. Reason: snowzz
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

This just in: Skiing is still fun!

Odd day of everything in the MRV today. Beautiful moon last night and a cobalt sky with awesome alpenglow at sunrise this morning, cold at 28`. Clouded up and we got a bit of snow and sleet by 10. Clouds cleared and suddenly it's 50` and back to blue. 3 hrs 20+k of soft snow later and the clouds came back.

This is for you Buckethead, looking forward to spring turns with you Mang.

www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

SPRING FLING TRIPLE IS BACK!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

EAST COAST ROLL CALL #8 14/15 A NEW HOPE

Quote Originally Posted by therudeness View Post
    awesome pic Armada

Haha! Nice one rudeness. I'm dyin, So funny.

For anyone up north, noticed this just came out:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1428025956.259707.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	802.9 KB 
ID:	165861

Its good n cheap! (2 for 5$ eh!)

Hope y'all have a fun and safe Easter weekend. Will report back on adventures.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    After much contemplation and several drinks im ready to discuss the slide I set off in Oaks. I've been reluctant to post about this for a number of reasons. In conclusion, I basically made the "rookie" mistake of deciding an area was safe on a macro level and ignoring the evidence I found on a micro level that contradicted my initial decision.
    Right before i made my move i thought, well if it does go im pretty sure it will break at my feet. Thankfully i was right about that much. I made a single short stopping jump turn and upon sinking into the snow, I watched a crack appear instaneously 100' in front of me. In the next moment the slab was hissing away from me at unbelievable speed. Panic gripped me and adrenaline raced through my veins as I watched the slope slide faster and bigger that I expected. The slide ran all the way into the trees below.
    Good thing you were wearing Depends! That sponsorship sure panned out! Yikes. Glade you stayed on up top my friend and the dragon went hungry. Thanks for the insight.
    The Passion is in the Risk

Glad you're unscathed, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Glad you're unscathed, Rob.
    x2

Scary stuff for sure.

$25 if you feed the food pantry at Pico... should be a slarvy carvy day!

Buttaflake; get your Utard enhanced ass up here and I'll let you smell my fumes.

VTF/ML242 if your going to be at the bob tomorrow, give a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotsa Rocks View Post
    SS always put on great shows. So much fun seeing them at small venues as they were always accessible before during and after the show for shots. I was lucky enought to see them on my wedding night in lahina Hawaii.
    Yeah, I haven't seen those guys yet, but were going down to the Simsbury CT performing arts center to catch them, the Dirty Heads and the Expendables in July. They're playing the Pavilion in Boston also, but the CT venue looked more chill since there is a lot of grass so we opted for that one.

All this warm weather and Sugaring season is FINALLY getting rolling up here in the north.

Last edited by From_the_NEK; 04-03-2015 at 11:41 AM.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    All this warm weather and Sugering season is FINALLY getting rolling up here in the north.

Long may it flow!
    We are down to our last jug and I was getting worried....

Oh MRG, how I missed thee. What a day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1428108864.563220.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	727.3 KB 
ID:	165895

^
    Utah's finest meets VT's, nice combo!

35.4` bob , snow arrived to replace the rain at 7:10, gonna be interesting today as the snow sets up.

Yesterday = another fun spring day on the wheel, slightly more crowded due to Good Friday but no more than a minute wait for another lap. Love the Praxis BC in the spring corn, was fast lapping some deep corn and could lay them over and drag my hand in the snow like a hard booter.

The "Good" High peaks looking good, Addison County turning brown

The "Bad" A badass SaucerBoy tribute, watched him ski down with the saucer acting like a windfoil tether

The "Ugly" Umm, ugly hippy chic? wtf

www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

MWO:
    CURRENT SUMMIT FORECAST

Low pressure will strengthen as it tracks into the Gulf of Maine this morning, with heavy snow and high winds likely creating very poor visibility and dangerous conditions across the higher summits into this evening. Temperatures will fall through the day as colder is pulled in behind the deepening storm system, with periods of heavy snow most likely during the morning. As the system begins to pull away this afternoon winds will increase quickly to sustained speeds near hurricane force, with gusts likely approaching 100 mph. Steady snow will come to an end before sunset, with isolated upslope snow showers continuing through the night. Strong winds combined with temperatures bottoming out below zero will prompt a wind chill advisory this evening, lasting through mid-morning Sunday. An active weather pattern will continue tomorrow and into the start of next week, with a cold front likely stalling just south of the area keeping the threat of snow showers across the higher summits into the middle of next week.