Canfield Balance

Pretty badass video, Trevor Parson is hauling through the Whistler Bike Park and making blue velvet look stupid fun (which it is). The Balance looks a bit complicated of a design for my simple JONG eyes, but giving how hard HVskier crushes on his Canfield One, I'm inclined to believe the hype. Anybody ridden these things?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

I have and my buddy has one. What do you want to know?

I want to know if it feels just like a Chilcotin with slightly bigger wheels. If so, sign me the fuck up. Oh, and a carbon for the wifey.

I haven't ridden one! Check the geo charts? I will say that it absolutely rips. Great bike, just like you can imagine a bike that was designed for/ by downhillers who wanted a single crown all day kinda bike.

The short CS design is intriguing. I'd be curious to hear more about the bike. There are a lot of "lightweight" and "strength to weight ratio" comments but no posted weight. Not that I would expect it to be super-light or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    The short CS design is intriguing. I'd be curious to hear more about the bike. There are a lot of "lightweight" and "strength to weight ratio" comments but no posted weight. Not that I would expect it to be super-light or anything.
    "bike check" over on vital has them built up around 30lbs. looks pretty ez to have a medium under 30. their bikes are looking awesome. I think they may have the shortest cs of any of the double link bikes. santa cruz and giant have shortened theirs but I'd like to see them even shorter. as soon as you get in the sag of a lot of dbl link bikes your cs ends up growing an inch or so. they already eat up square edge bumps well so I think they need an extra effort to keep the cs lengths closer, in the sag, to the specialized, Norco, kona, rocky and others numbers that don't have as much chain growth. canfield has made that effort with their dh bike as well. one of the reasons I bought my banshee rune was knowing a 27.5 wheel fit in the 26" dropouts allowing me to keep my cs below 17". definitely would consider the Canfield but I do like the added adjustments on my rune albeit I think its a touch heavier. cool vid though. rallying it like a full on dh bike

Quote Originally Posted by juanbendedknee View Post
    I have and my buddy has one. What do you want to know?
    I also had a TRc and warrantied it for 5010. How was the switch to the Balance? I'd guess that we ride the same Seattle area trails

I'm currently riding a Process 153, it has similar geo in a lot of way to the Balance- I once took a Balance out for a lap at Duthie and dropped off some stuff I would have otherwise. It inspires confidence I guess. You sit between the wheels and feel like there is a lot to work with length-wise without losing balance off the front or back. The low BB and long reach are dreamy, 66º HTA is a good combo too.

I find myself riding more forward, above the bars. The short chain stays keep it lively in the back, for sure- it steers nimbly for a longish bike. Obviously, this bike isn't made for 100 mile days, but my buddy has his built with Light Bicycles wheels and pretty stock everything else and its around 30lbs.

That said, my TRc is 24. Do I notice the difference going up? Actually not really, more so on the down. A slightly heavier bike feels more stable and ready to overtake obstacles without being bucked around I've found.

Would I ride it for 8 straight hours? Yep. Why? Because it rides like how I want a bike to ride, uncompromised.

Like Black Diamond says: Its all about the down (at least for me).

Things I'd love to see resolved:
    1/ Forming the rear triangle bits (specifically the chain stays). You'll hit them with your heels if you are as duck footed as I am. That is a bummer.

2/ I know this bike frame could shed some weight.