Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best Liner for touring?

Looking to get myself a new liner to replace the horrific BD stock liner in my Quadrants.
    some make more sense then others - I need a high volume liner for my scrawny foot.
    Of course the Pro Tour seems like the obvious choice, but curious. Any other brands you recommend?

Classic Alpine, Dreamliner, Universal, Power Wrap, Power Wrap Plus, Luxury or Pro Tour. Easy enough to say Pro Tour.

I've had some buddies say the laces suck and to stick with the wrap.

Luxury HV tours well good heal hold and stiffer than pro tour

The power wrap is the only thing that works for my low vol/high instep foot BUT it sounds like you bought the rong shell for your foot?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

What XXX-er says. If you've got a scrawny foot the BD Quadrant and pre-2013/14 Factors were pretty much the exact opposite. Start with a more appropriate shell before you spend $$$ on a better liner. FWIW, the Pro-Tour only comes in medium volume, to get a high volume you'd have to go with a Luxury or Dream.

If you bought the rong boot an intuition liner will not fix it, you must start with the right shell for your foot otherwise you are just trying to put lipstick on a pig, IMO look at the maestrale RS cuz it comes WITH intuition liner and real dynafit fittings

Well-timed thread. I need new liners for my Vulcans this winter and can get Palau cheap directly from the brand (about half the price of Intuition). So wrap or tongue style liner?

I used the Vulcans last year with some tongue-style Dalbello Intuitions (essentially Pro Tours) that already had 150-200 days on them, so they're totally done now. Compared to the Vulcan's stock liner they improved the fit a lot on my skinny foot, very skinny heel and ridiculously skinny lower leg but I'd still like it a little tighter instead of relying on the buckles. So should I just get the thickest version I can? Wrap style should improve the fit on my leg I guess, but would I notice a restriction of movement in my stride?

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    Well-timed thread. I need new liners for my Vulcans this winter and can get Palau cheap directly from the brand (about half the price of Intuition). So wrap or tongue style liner?

I used the Vulcans last year with some tongue-style Dalbello Intuitions (essentially Pro Tours) that already had 150-200 days on them, so they're totally done now. Compared to the Vulcan's stock liner they improved the fit a lot on my skinny foot, very skinny heel and ridiculously skinny lower leg but I'd still like it a little tighter instead of relying on the buckles. So should I just get the thickest version I can? Wrap style should improve the fit on my leg I guess, but would I notice a restriction of movement in my stride?
    yeah the Pw's restrict a bit of movement but you do have a lot of ROM in the vulcan, for me I'm a pw kind of guy, its the only liner i can use

For me, its either the Pro Tour or the Scarpa liner from the Freedom boot (order separately). The Pro Tour is lighter, but the Freedom liner is stiffer, having a plastic plate on the tongue. I'd never want to tour very far without the rearward flex zone of those two liners. It makes a pretty noticable difference.

I had fit issues with the Scarpa TX Pro for my tele setup. It was one of the few NTN shells available and I wanted the tech inserts, so it was my only option. The shell was way too wide, but I got a HV Luxury Liner (= Intuition's highest volume liner) and it solved the problem, along with my footbeds.

What everyone says here is true- shell fit is most important. But it's also true that you can use a liner to take up some extra space (although it will eventually pack out). I agree though that the quadrant does not sound like the boot for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    For me, its either the Pro Tour or the Scarpa liner from the Freedom boot (order separately). The Pro Tour is lighter, but the Freedom liner is stiffer, having a plastic plate on the tongue. I'd never want to tour very far without the rearward flex zone of those two liners. It makes a pretty noticable difference.
    +1. Rode the scarpa liner in the Freedom boot and it felt as good as my powerwraps in my langes. lack of laces never affected me.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yeah the Pw's restrict a bit of movement but you do have a lot of ROM in the vulcan, for me I'm a pw kind of guy, its the only liner i can use
    Seconded - I used pw and pw plus in both Quadrants and vulcans... Some folks think that is dum in vulcans, but the ROM is still there (though def more limited) rearward
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

I used the Luxury mid-vol liner and now use the Power Tongue liner in my Dynafit Mercuries. I notice the difference between that combo and my TLT5's with stock liners (which is my idea of the perfect touring setup) but the difference isn't huge on day tours. My point being, I think you'd be happy enough with the tourability of any of Intuition's tongue-based liners, even the non-touring models. Likewise I believe the folks who say the PowerWraps tour well enough, but I've not tried them myself.

i prefer the cruise liner from Carnival. best tours in the business.
    bumps are for poor people

I wouldn't assume anything, I drove 13 hrs to the intuition outlet in Vancover (they are great!) where I tried 2 tongued liners & bought the one that seemed to suck the least, after more carpet testing I realized it truly sucked as well so I exchanged it for the PW which was the right thing to do, IME a PW will always work but the tongued liners ... not necessarily

Best Liner for touring?

Can't believe I am going to say this, but the best touring liner I have used has been the stock Mercury liner. Cold, but better fit and dramatically longer performance life than any intuition I have used. For the price, I don't get enough days of use from intuition.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    my skinny foot, very skinny heel and ridiculously skinny lower leg but I'd still like it a little tighter instead of relying on the buckles. So should I just get the thickest version I can? Wrap style should improve the fit on my leg I guess, but would I notice a restriction of movement in my stride?
    Be careful, there is a limit to how much wrap can do for a skinny shank. You can only close the interior diameter of a stiff wrap liner so much. If that is not enough, then you are left with a pencil in a tube. No amount of foam wrap volume will fix that.

And yes, they suck for tour mode.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Can't believe I am going to say this, but the best touring liner I have used has been the stock Mercury liner. Cold, but better fit and dramatically longer performance life than any intuition I have used. For the price, I don't get enough days of use from intuition.
    While I don't find my stock Mercury liners fit very tightly/well, I actually like that they are cold. Less sweating = few blisters for me. I find the warmth of Intuition liners great for resort skiing but a little too hot for touring. (I'm in the PNW where it is often mild and sort of...humid.)

Can't believe I am going to say this, but the best touring liner I have used has been the stock Mercury liner. Cold, but better fit and dramatically longer performance life than any intuition I have used.
    I can believe it. Two hard winters in mine now and they are only just starting to show wear.

They are cold though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Didn't read past the OP and maybe somebody already covered this: If you have scrawny feet in Quadrants, the answer is different boots.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I can believe it. Two hard winters in mine now and they are only just starting to show wear.

They are cold though.
    If either of you are 27.5, PM me some 50$ trade items. Rather trade them to mag then sell to some schlub on eBay.
    I am already stocked up on frogskins and croakies so other gear works.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Yup, my Dynafit liners last longer than Intuitions

I suppose it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. In my Mastreale's the original Intuition tour liner, toured better, but skied worse then a power wrap, which skied better but toured worse. Since it is a touring boot I stuck with the original liner.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I had a conform'ables liner in my mercury season before last and it sure had ROM but after a very long tour I ended up with a bruise on the methead which fortunatley went away and that liner didn't go downhill very well

you know that the liner scarpa specs from intuition is a pretty good liner by all acounts but it is NOT exactly what intuition sells apres market ?

what this thread has told us is that every body has a different opinion on whats the best liner for touring ... so
    whats that joke about assholes and opinions?

They have a great heel hold, and don't pack out much at all. Tying the laces enhances their performance further. It is a pity my lace loops have mostly torn off now.

Cold: Besides being thin, and having stitching where there should be foam, I think the 5 metal rivets strategically placed around the toes doesn't help with the boot's thermal properties either.

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    If either of you are 27.5, PM me some 50$ trade items. Rather trade them to mag then sell to some schlub on eBay.
    I am already stocked up on frogskins and croakies so other gear works.
    Too big, and wrong country, but thanks anyway dood. I'd buy new backup liners if I could get them.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    whats that joke about assholes and opinions?
    You are right. BTW, I first read "assholes and onions". And that ain't no joke. But it would be nice if Intuitions didn't pack out so much and so fast.
    Life is not lift served.

Best Liner for touring?

I'd agree that Intuitions pack out pretty quick, but the warmth, comfort and skiability trump price/longevity to me.