BindingFreedom Inserts or Plates?

Question: I'm not really clear as to when you use plates vs. inserts on skis. Is the goal to use plates to reduce the amount of drilling you have to do into the ski? Or when the screw pattern is too close?

I'm not so sure of this either so would be interested in seeing what others say.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    plates add weight and stack height
    but are a wide non conflicting hole pattern
    inserts require multiple large holes to be drilled in your ski
    you are basically sealed helicoiling 2 sets of mount holes
    and really hurt your resale ability
    imo
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

What SFB said. Also, plates are more expensive, but much easier to install than inserts. And yes, some binding combinations require shifting one of the mounts fore or aft when using inserts to accommodate two different bindings. Plates require less spacing between the holes so there is less need for this.

Depends what matters most to you, Flexibility of binding type, weight/stack height, or price

Last season I had plates on 2 pairs of new skis because I wanted to be able to ski a real binding in the resort and ski them with my dynafits and the holes were too close together.

For me, the added stack height/weight was too noticeable and this season my new skis will be getting inserts and I will be choosing which are for touring which are for resort. Plus I ski the dynafits inbounds without issue. Best way to mount bindings IMHO is direct to the ski, but having 8 pairs of skis I cannot afford 8 pairs of bindings... thus I use inserts

Dont forget the likelyhood of getting water in the core with multiple sets of inserts in the ski. Obviously you'll only be using one hole pattern at a time, so the other holes will be plugged? I doubt it.
    My take:

Inserts: used for sharing bindings from one ski to another
    Plates: used for sharing one ski with several sets of bindings

Buy a CAST setup and be done with it ;-)
    Live

Quote Originally Posted by skiingsamurai View Post
    Dont forget the likelyhood of getting water in the core with multiple sets of inserts in the ski. Obviously you'll only be using one hole pattern at a time, so the other holes will be plugged? I doubt it.
    Only if you suck at installing inserts. They're sealed at the bottom, so as long as you have enough epoxy to seal the top, water ain't getting through.

I know you're biased, and the CAST system is great, but it has it's positives and negatives just like everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Only if you suck at installing inserts. They're sealed at the bottom, so as long as you have enough epoxy to seal the top, water ain't getting through.

I know you're biased, and the CAST system is great, but it has it's positives and negatives just like everything else.
    Fair enough, ive never actually installed them. The inserts I use on the job (totally different design and purpose) are open on either end

Agreed 100%, the CAST system is far from perfect, just a shameless, joke of a plug
    Live

Quote Originally Posted by skiingsamurai View Post
    Inserts: used for sharing bindings from one ski to another
    Plates: used for sharing one ski with several sets of bindings
    I think this is a good summary of which intended use works best. Plates are much easier to install and, because of the wider hole pattern, are a good option for skis that already have two or three mounts.

Also keep in mind that both options are pretty darn niche. There are plenty of ski techs out there who still have no idea either technology exists.