Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    To the Op.

There are professional jobs in ski towns - just there are trade offs as well.

I set up my law office appointment schedule so that I have mornings free of meetings. If it's snowing I go skiing. I usually get back around 1 and work till about 7 or 8. It is a bit harder to get the skiing in now that I have kids but not impossible. People ask how many ski days I get and I can't really say - is a ski day that ends at 1 still a day? - don't know and don't care. I make enough to be comfortable and ski enough to be happy.

I have also conducted a good amount of business on the lifts (on a powder day that is where my clients are). Not to mention the potential clients I meet - I always say hi to the folks I meet on the lift and ask if they are from around here what they do etc. It usually comes around to what I do and that sometimes leads to what they need (we have very slow lifts).

We have two associate lawyers who like to ski and I do not begrudge them their ski days (even take them cat skiing on occasion). The way I see it is that they are making less than their peers in the big city - better make it worthwhile in terms of life style.

I would think accounting would be similar except maybe around tax season.

Wow you guys are awesome. I never expected this many responses. Everyone here more or less confirmed what I was thinking. I'm gonna finish school and just apply to jobs in various ski town and SLC. Most likely will choose to work big 4 in SLC for 2-3 years to pad my resume (and bank account) then attempt to switch to small firm or whatever in a ski town.

get into personal income tax
    target trustafarians in JH
    require extensions to be filed
    busy season now becomes the summer
    ski lots in winter
    profit $$$

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    ya knowz if ya buy groceries from the smiths your gas is on average 25- 50 cents cheaper dependent on your grocery budget
    and one mans shallow unfulfilling luxury
    is anothers fullfilment of the deep white room dream

You get your gas coupon and at the 9400 South store I get a free Sushi sample every time I shop, yum, NY Crunch. Don't ask what the fish is.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    get into personal income tax
    target trustafarians in JH
    require extensions to be filed
    busy season now becomes the summer
    ski lots in winter
    profit $$$
    Appropriate, since the extended returns are due today.

Quote Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
    Most likely will choose to work big 4 in SLC for 2-3 years to pad my resume (and bank account) then attempt to switch to small firm or whatever in a ski town.
    Dude. You work big four you won't be skiing. That I promise you.

and you sure better have some game to get through the door at a big 4 these days.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    Dude. You work big four you won't be skiing. That I promise you.

and you sure better have some game to get through the door at a big 4 these days.
    What do you suggest then? Small firm and aim for flex time? The only real reason I want to go big 4 is because it looks good on a resume for the rest of my life and presumably would give me the best shot at opportunities once I leave. Honestly not worried about getting the job, I have the grades and I interview well. Never been turned down for a job in my life. If I can get a gig that let's me ski mornings no doubt I'm there. But it seems wherever I go I'm gonna have to work days at least to start. I would take a serious pay cut to be able to ski most weekday mornings. Hell I'd work all weekend if it meant some time off during the week. Show me the way wise one.

Mr. Skipper, you disappoint me. I leave a yawning gap for you to come back with the obvious "you dick", and you fail. I'm afraid that you should give up hope of becoming a productive member of society, and move to a ski town. And never get laid.

my $.02 I don't think acctng will get you where you want to go. If you get to a private corp. job say in Denver or SLC it's concivable you ski a decent amount through early december and mid feb on. That's about the best you can hope for with a career in accounting.

I dunno. Think if i did it over, the thing would be to head west after undergrad, ski a few years, stick with it if poor-er and skiing a lot made me happy, or THEN go back to grad school then the serious job.
    "Can't you see..."

If you want to be able to ski, go do that while you are young. Don't spend a couple years hating life. Ive found with a degree, you will be ahead of about half the people applying for accounting jobs. If you get all the way through becoming a CPA, you'll have more qualifications than almost any other applicant. For me, the key was finding a job with enough responsibility to get paid well but not too much so I can have a flexible schedule.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Don't forget that non-profits need accountants too. Credit Unions don't pay taxes (so no fucking 4/15 deadlines to worry about) and would be a nice cushy gig for an accountant. Look for the larger ones though.

Working in private industry accounting has next to nothing to do with public accounting tax or audit schedules. You have month end/quarter end/year end schedules where certain weeks are super busy. But different companies have different year-ends. It's called a fiscal year vs. calendar year (ie, year end may be Dec 31, but could also be March 31 or June 30 - the following month will be busy for the first couple weeks while you close the books). You can also go into FP&A (Financial Planning & Analysis) in a big company, again you will have planning times of the year and month/qtr/yr end, but not like public acct tax season where you don't see the light of day from Jan-April. Most weeks 3 & 4 of each month are flexible. Now, a lot of month ends are over holidays and that stinks in terms of family plans, etc. but would be fine to avoid crowds in a ski town.

You guys have it all wrong. There's no need to worry about jobs. If I was a single man, I'd be all over cougar-age to geriatric Yellowstone Club ladies. The cougars would be awesome sugar mammas, and the octogenarians would be great for executing the Anna Nicole Smith retirement plan. Fool proof!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Mr. Skipper, you disappoint me. I leave a yawning gap for you to come back with the obvious "you dick", and you fail. I'm afraid that you should give up hope of becoming a productive member of society, and move to a ski town. And never get laid.
    I'm nothing if not obvious.

Never been turned down for a job in my life. If I can get a gig that let's me ski mornings no doubt I'm there. But it seems wherever I go I'm gonna have to work days at least to start. I would take a serious pay cut to be able to ski most weekday mornings. Hell I'd work all weekend if it meant some time off during the week. Show me the way wise one.
    You have to beat out blurred for the fry cook position, no small task. How are you paying for school? By the end of my 20's all I had were a couple outstanding bench warrants and a fucked up motorcycle. I was worth close to seven figures by 40. Lots of ways to fry some chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    You have to beat out blurred for the fry cook position, no small task. How are you paying for school? By the end of my 20's all I had were a couple outstanding bench warrants and a fucked up motorcycle. I was worth close to seven figures by 40. Lots of ways to fry some chicken.
    Continue........

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Well this is pretty random, but I am a fry cook at a fine dining restaurant, so I'm sure I could give him a run for his money.

^go big or go home, amigo.

What do you suggest then? Small firm and aim for flex time? The only real reason I want to go big 4 is because it looks good on a resume for the rest of my life and presumably would give me the best shot at opportunities once I leave. Honestly not worried about getting the job, I have the grades and I interview well. Never been turned down for a job in my life. If I can get a gig that let's me ski mornings no doubt I'm there. But it seems wherever I go I'm gonna have to work days at least to start. I would take a serious pay cut to be able to ski most weekday mornings. Hell I'd work all weekend if it meant some time off during the week. Show me the way wise one.
    Recent coworker here in SLC just left for an almost identical salary at Goldman by the U. She boards, has a pass etc. Only problem is now she works 7-5 with an even longer commute from PC. No more 9-5 with a 2 hr lunch + walk. And no more casual dress code. Or relaxed corp culture. Ooops

Even if you pick a good spot you need to be realistic with your expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Don't forget that non-profits need accountants too. Credit Unions don't pay taxes (so no fucking 4/15 deadlines to worry about) and would be a nice cushy gig for an accountant. Look for the larger ones though.
    I worked for a company that made accounting software for non-profits, and we frequently had to inspect their data... and you wouldn't believe the bullshit we would see. Companies failing to withhold social security, etc but listing the amount that should've been withheld on the memo field of their payroll checks. Charging payroll against the expense account for the power/utilities. Being net-losers in the tens-or-more of thousands of dollars. Generally having no fucking clue how to manage double-entry accounting. Some of them paid alright, some not. This was in the NYC area.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I'm nothing if not obvious.
    He either didn't read your post or forgot what you wrote. Happens in old age.

Hugh Conway Guest
    so she commutes what 30-40 minutes from somewhere nice-ish to a corporate cube shithole that sucks up her M-F like you can do in Denver, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, I'm sure there are others, and this is a "ski town career"? 9-5 with 2hrs off is still M-F in some lazy ass boring shithole. Ya gotta pay the bills somehow, but jeebus that's just a ski-picket fence for your 2.2 and SUV.

Young Jedi, do not expect flex time as a rookie or second in any public accounting or consulting gig. A CPA firm runs on billable hours and you are but a small dispensable cog in that wheel. They only hire new people because they have maxed out the hours they can squeeze from the existing cogs. And you know they don't pay OT, right?

Not saying you shouldn't go the public route, just know that you will be worked like a rented mule.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    so she commutes what 30-40 minutes from somewhere nice-ish to a corporate cube shithole that sucks up her M-F like you can do in Denver, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, I'm sure there are others, and this is a "ski town career"? 9-5 with 2hrs off is still M-F in some lazy ass boring shithole. Ya gotta pay the bills somehow, but jeebus that's just a ski-picket fence for your 2.2 and SUV.
    May be misinterpreting but yeah. She used to work a light week with the ability to sqeeze in four season recreation during the week. She lives within potato gun range of Canyons but she willingly sold a good portion of her personal time and weekday freedom for a perceived upgrade in career opportunity. Mgmt was puzzled as she did a good job and would have been given a chance at the role she left for. She lives in a ski town but is pretty constrained as far as enjoying it.