Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wailer alternative / "what skis should i buy?" thread

So I spent all of last winter skiing Fernie, demoing skis trying to figure out what I wanted to get for out here. What did I decide? DPS Wailer 112rp hybrid in a 184. I could ski it exactly the way i like to ski (nice long arcs on harder packed groomers, easy quick turns in the trees, dead easy and fun in powder) Problem is, I can't seem to find the things for less than about $700. So help me out.

I tried all of these last year:

185 cochise - awesome in powder and groomers, too much for me in tighter spots.
    185 scout - easier to ski in tight spots than the cochise but just not as good everywhere else
    185 nordica patron - fun on groomers, chop, tight spots . hated them in powder, the flex was just way too uneven.
    184 Cham 107HM - pretty planky when you're not in soft snow. otherwise, great ski.
    185 JJ - meh, too soft and washy. not for me at all.
    188 S7 - pretty easy in most everything, again, too soft.

So, you can kind of see i'm looking for something in the 105-115 underfoot sort of range. Gonna use it every day i'm out. (i don't bother going out if it's bulletproof) Gonna put Guardians on it and tour when i can. Don't ski backwards. Don't spin or flip.

So yea, what should i be looking at? I'm thinking something with an 18-25m radius. And based on looking at that ski flex thread, something that either has a nice even flex or is a bit stiffer in the tails than the tip.

skis i like the sound of:
    praxis gpo
    soul 7
    gunsmoke
    moment exit world , bibby pro, governor
    k2 annex 108
    sidestash
    rocker2 115
    rocker2 108
    wailer 112rpc
    amplid ego trip
    liberty variant 113
    voile charger

what else should i be looking into? can you sell me on one of these or completely scare me away from any? or maybe, just maybe do you know where i can find some wailer 112rp hybrids for under $500. ha.

Someone's selling Sickles for $200. How can you lose on those?

If you can't find the 112rp hybrids for <$700 you aren't paying attention. Gear Swap is your friend.
    Last edited by Doremite; 10-12-2014 at 08:23 PM.
    Uno mas

Sounds like the GPO to me. Can be had for purdy cheap, too.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

You want either GPOs or older bibbys (before the waist width was bumped up to 120mm and the ski softened). Skip the soul7 and both rocker2s, you'll likely find them too soft. Charger is a good ski but not the same type of shape as the others with no tail rocker.

If you go with praxis, you can PM me for a 15% off coupon. Or, i have a pair of Rossi Squad7s for sale in gear swap that would fit the bill (possibly a bit more demanding than RP112s) that are already drilled and inserted for small guardians...

Thanks for the feedback everyone. keep it comin. hadn't thought of sickles before, seem to kind of fit the bill. scared by the flat camber for a daily driver but it doesn't sound like it's an issue. should've mentioned - ideally i'm gonna get something new/undrilled.

Really starting to love the sound of the GPO. Especially realizing there are a bunch of praxis coupons out there. ha.

I really like my hybrid Lotus 120's the (red ones) > I liked carbon wailer 112's

edit: I wish they were lighter but the rest of the setup is all dynafit so its not too bad and the price was nice!
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-13-2014 at 02:52 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

^^^ really. that doesn't surprise me too much, but i feel like they're a bit wider than i'm looking for for an everyday ski - 75/25 inbounds/outofbounds

any downside to the GPO with a carbon layup vs glass?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremysbrown View Post
    any downside to the GPO with a carbon layup vs glass?
    In general, the carbon layup is a little more poppy and energetic (and lighter), but also not as damp and smooth through choppy snow (and obviously more expensive). It's a preference thing. Personally I prefer carbon for touring and glass for resort, so if it were me, on a 70/30 resort Guardian rig I'd go glass. But there's lots of folks here who like the carbon layup inbounds.

Sickles are only very slightly full reverse and are an awesome daily driver.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I've enjoyed skiing Wailers for hundreds of days, but am now making a GPO transition this season.

If anyone has seen the latest Powder Whores movie (which is fun!)... there is a segment in there which demonstrates a problem I sometimes had with Wailers.
    Life is not lift served.

Gpo 187 or mvp 187. I have a discount code on new praxis for you if you pm me. Probably find a better deal here though. Lots of peeps moving 187 MVPs recently...
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremysbrown View Post
    ^^^ really. that doesn't surprise me too much, but i feel like they're a bit wider than i'm looking for for an everyday ski - 75/25 inbounds/outofbounds
    Do not disregard 120s as a daily due to width alone. Shockingly agile and quick in tight spots and can hammer when given space to roam. Just avoid ice and bumps which I try to do anyway. Should add very different feel from 112s however.
    Last edited by Doremite; 10-14-2014 at 08:30 AM.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Do not disregard 120s as a daily due to width alone. Shockingly agile and quick in tight spots and can hammer when given space to roam. Just avoid ice and bumps which I try to do anyway. Should add very different feel from 112s however.
    Just to counterpoint that a little bit - the L120 is one of the best soft snow skis I've tried, but one of the worst daily drivers... for me anyway. The drastic pintail, amount of rocker, and lack of sidecut make it very imprecise on any sort of firm snow. So like you said... very different feel compared to a W112 or GPO or the like. I'd say the L120 could work as a daily driver if you only go skiing when there's soft snow, spend a lot of time seeking out soft pockets, and are willing to compromise hard snow performance. I totally agree that they are extremely nimble in tight places and solid in the open when in soft snow.

I took praxis backcountry. Take a look but they are 106 under foot.

Get 15% cupon code from members here. It should be a good deal.

Take care!

Normally would recommend an indy, but since you missed the dps rpc hybrids on sale....
    Get the Automatic
    it is exactly what you describe you want.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

so i think after reading a bunch of the super long gpo thread and everyone's comments here i'm gonna go with the 182 gpo with the carbon layup. pretty excited about it actually. so.... coupon codes? is 15% the standard around here, or has anyone got better? wanna get these things locked up either tonight or tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by otto parts View Post
    Normally would recommend an indy, but since you missed the dps rpc hybrids on sale....
    Get the Automatic
    it is exactly what you describe you want.
    If you decide on autos, hit me up. I have a new set of 186s that I think im gonna unload.

JB - check PMs.

I sometimes wonder why people buy the Automatic when they could buy the GPO?
    Life is not lift served.

This^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    I've enjoyed skiing Wailers for hundreds of days, but am now making a GPO transition this season.

If anyone has seen the latest Powder Whores movie (which is fun!)... there is a segment in there which demonstrates a problem I sometimes had with Wailers.
    Might see it but too curious to wait: What problem are you referring to? 112RPs?

112RP.

All tip/no tail wheelies.
    Last edited by neck beard; 10-15-2014 at 03:33 PM.
    Life is not lift served.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. And thanks to adrenalated for the coupon code. $450 total shipped for the carbon version is pretty outstanding in my opinion. anyone interested in the 182 length, keith mentioned having a few carbons around for the same price as the glass. pretty awesome if that's what someone's in the market for.

Adrenelated's coupon code will give you Ebola. You should have used mine.
    Life is not lift served.