Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    ... I, for one, am all for long time locals rights' to have things all to themselves.
    Except for this: the kids (hey, what happened to your "ghetto rats" characterization?), anyway, the kids seemed to just want the others to wait their turn.

But stay angry, and fight the good fight for the Silicon Valley underdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    But it's for two night a week. It's not like the field has been converted to 100% by reservation. It seems like a decent compromise to me.
    I missed that part. Okay, fair enough.

Give the brown skinned ones some smallpox blankets?

Seriously, I once took an undergrad class with this nice , older mother of two. One day I bitched about the shitty drive through the Navajo Rez and made a comment about the US Government giving them the shittiest land in the lower 48.

Her reply was, "We conquered them. They should be grateful we let them live."

I imagine life is really pleasant for her minority nanny and gardener.

spook Guest
    I had a friend say "I'm OK with conquest."

So what? Almost everyone is ok with it until it happens to them. Then it didn't matter because they aren't in charge. People are selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Am I the only person who likes both soccer and football? I never understood why they had to be mutually exclusive.
    Yeah my bad, I was feeling douchey when I wrote it, I've been on the rag. If you like to play or watch football, good deal. I only watch football with my brother cause he follows it and the pros are monstrous athletes. I sure would prefer they get rid of all the padding though, except maybe to go with soft helmets, it just causes more injuries. Rugby and especially Aussie football is great, though soccer is more fun than any field sport in my narrow world.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    So what? Almost everyone is ok with it until it happens to them. Then it didn't matter because they aren't in charge. People are selfish.
    so what what? that's the problem isn't it.

Classic TGR thread drift from a dispute about soccer fields to lily-white action sport bros fighting for the brown men that mow their lawns.

TGRforums, the voice for minorities everywhere... As told by white guys.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    so what what? that's the problem isn't it.
    Yeah it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jma233 View Post
    Seriously, I once took an undergrad class with this nice , older mother of two. One day I bitched about the shitty drive through the Navajo Rez and made a comment about the US Government giving them the shittiest land in the lower 48.

Her reply was, "We conquered them. They should be grateful we let them live."
    That's horrible... but from a long-term historical perspective she kind of has a point - in really fucked up way, mind you. The counter argument being that we're supposed to have evolved somewhat.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Classic TGR thread drift from a dispute about soccer fields to lily-white action sport bros fighting for the brown men that mow their lawns.

TGRforums, the voice for minorities everywhere... As told by white guys.
    you forgot the lilly-white aggro bros fighting for the rights of cube dwelling puds like themselves to vicariously live their college years on the courts. nothing like aggro-pud athletics.

Gotta hand it to Hugh. He's now found a way to spin people going out and playing sports after work into a negative thing. Bravo.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Gotta hand it to Hugh. He's now found a way to spin people going out and playing sports after work into a negative thing. Bravo.
    why does "those people are mostly assholes" mean "playing sports after work is bad"? I think most skiers are completely shitstains, but skiing's still fun as shit.

I laughed.

Can't believe it took me this long to remember but this whole episode reminds me of a sunny spring day sophomore year of college:

Me and about 13 other buddies grabbed the frisbee and a load of cheeb and headed to the park to play some ultimate. Mind you we were not good at all and mostly played to have something to do. We start tossing the frisbee around and all of a sudden about 24 other dudes show up and start doing the same, then after about 10 minutes they told us to line up. Everyone was so out of it that no one opened their mouths to question what the fuck was going on so we just did as we were told. The large tool yelling directions split us up into teams and play started. My buds and I were abysmal and were getting screamed at that we weren't 'stacking', whatever the fuck that meant. We were even told that you have to scream "Ultimate!" when kicking off to the other team. We though this was fucking queer so our one guy started yelling "MORTAL COMBAT!" every few minutes. This lasted for about 20 minutes till the same pud yelling orders stopped the game and told us none of my friends would be making the team.

Instead of telling them they interrupted our stoner game we just acted over the top disappointed and continued to play our own shitty game right there. Those guys were so confused they just shook their heads and walked off.

Good times.

/blog

Can't believe it took me this long to remember but this whole episode reminds me of a sunny spring day sophomore year of college:

Me and about 13 other buddies grabbed the frisbee and a load of cheeb and headed to the park to play some ultimate. Mind you we were not good at all and mostly played to have something to do. We start tossing the frisbee around and all of a sudden about 24 other dudes show up and start doing the same, then after about 10 minutes they told us to line up. Everyone was so out of it that no one opened their mouths to question what the fuck was going on so we just did as we were told. The large tool yelling directions split us up into teams and play started. My buds and I were abysmal and were getting screamed at that we weren't 'stacking', whatever the fuck that meant. We were even told that you have to scream "Ultimate!" when kicking off to the other team. We though this was fucking queer so our one guy started yelling "MORTAL COMBAT!" every few minutes. This lasted for about 20 minutes till the same pud yelling orders stopped the game and told us none of my friends would be making the team.

Instead of telling them they interrupted our stoner game we just acted over the top disappointed and continued to play our own shitty game right there. Those guys were so confused they just shook their heads and walked off.

Good times.

/blog
    Terrible story.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Terrible story.

I think you have to be under the influence to appreciate its beauty.

Good times.

/blog
    You didn't even get participation prizes?

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    You didn't even get participation prizes?
    Heh. Generation X man, the last to know what it feels like to not get a prize for showing up.

This is all a fascinating metaphor for what is happening in Israel and the middle east. Think about it.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    why does "those people are mostly assholes" mean "playing sports after work is bad"? I think most skiers are completely shitstains, but skiing's still fun as shit.
    You know "most skiers" ? I would retort you're a shitstain bringing a bias. 21 thousand posts on a skiing forum yet they are all dicks?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyyee View Post
    You know "most skiers" ? I would retort you're a shitstain bringing a bias. 21 thousand posts on a skiing forum yet they are all dicks?
    fine aliases like you Rodney get to be in with the creme de la creme don't they?

case closed.

http://www.sflatinodemocrats.com/eve...r-16-at-900am/

Fight for your critical rights to not allow limited reservations at your local field!! This is the most important thing that the SF Latino Democrats could possibly be rallying around!!

San Francisco has unfortunately become a text book example of gentrification, with the Mission District serving as its epicenter. Rents have become astonishingly astronomical in price and home ownership is now but a dream for anyone who is not rich. Evictions are happening as frequently as Google Buses rolling down our streets. Living wage jobs are out of reach for segments of our community because the tech companies that are receiving tax breaks from the city are not hiring Blacks and Latinos. New restaurants are not affordable to long-term residents even if they choose to serve them. The Mission has seen a 22% decrease in Latino residents since 2000 as all working class residents are pushed out to make room for the more affluent Tech Workers.

On September 25 respect and dignity became just as scarce when a band of DropBox employees tried to flex their privilege in order to intimidate our school-aged neighborhood children off the Mission Playground soccer field. They chose to ignore decades of tradition of pick-up games and reinforce the divide between long-time residents and new money residents. Playing with the children was an easy option for these Tech workers but they preferred to pay and keep things exclusive in a community space. While one of the Tech workers exclaimed that they were “part of the community”; they still did not want to play with the community as a whole or by the community’s long-standing rules. One even exclaims “Who gives a shit? Who cares about the neighborhood?”

The youth answered that question and taught us adults a valuable lesson. They stood up! And Won! They asked to check “their papers.” They asked how long “they’ve” been in the neighborhood? They were not fooled by the ruse to lead them off the field to look at a receipt. They said, “Go ahead and call the Police!” These youth stood up for our community and our respect — It is time the community stood up for them!

Please join us!

1) We demand an immediate end to the privatization of Mission Playground and for all public access be restored
    2) We demand that all privatized use for adults of Mission Playground and other youth-used recreation spaces throughout the city undergo community review planned by the neighborhood
    3) We demand that community customs and park traditions be followed and supported by the San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department.
    4) We demand full-time San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department staff for Mission Playground.

The youth of our city should not have to pay to use our public parks. Their health cannot afford it. Their safety cannot bare it. The relationships and community built from free play is what will help bring our City together. Join us and speak for the youth of San Francisco! Let’s keep our parks accessible to the elderly, disabled, poor and working-class.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Pete View Post
    This is all a fascinating metaphor for what is happening in Israel and the middle east. Think about it.
    you better shut your fucking MOUTH about ISRAEL or you know who will start dreaming of sniping your fucking HEAD

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    http://www.sflatinodemocrats.com/eve...r-16-at-900am/

Fight for your critical rights to not allow limited reservations at your local field!! This is the most important thing that the SF Latino Democrats could possibly be rallying around!!

the list of what you don't get is long