Cooking a sirloin tip roast

I have a 5 lb sirloin tip roast, grass and fruit fed with barley, oats and redwine added for the last month. The rest of this cow has been outstanding.

Last night I smoked a couple sirloin steaks for a couple hours then gave them 2 minutes per side in a cast iron pan. Fuck ya!!!

Now I'm thinking, smoke the roast for a few hours then in the oven to finish. Anyone have any tip or suggestions for cooking this thing? Temps? Times? Added steps?
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Beef bourguignon : http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/ju...6-2a4936fec81a..

or the way we do it when we have a burn (tree limbs/crapwood/yard debris) and some of the in-laws grass fed beef.

Get 2 bottles of cheap pinot noir, preferably French. Brown some onions in a dutch oven, brown the meat, throw in some more onions/shallots/garlic or leeks and salt the stuff. It's great with a few sprigs of rosemary or thyme.

Dump in one bottle of pinot cover and cook in the edge of the fire.

Cook the thing for 2-3 hours, turning it so the oven gets even heat and topping off the wine.

When done, you can cut the meat with a fork.

(edit: Hi to JR)
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Beef bourguignon : http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/ju...6-2a4936fec81a..

or the way we do it when we have a burn (tree limbs/crapwood/yard debris) and some of the in-laws grass fed beef.

Get 2 bottles of cheap pinot noir, preferably French. Brown some onions in a dutch oven, brown the meat, throw in some more onions/shallots/garlic or leeks and salt the stuff. It's great with a few sprigs of rosemary or thyme.

Dump in one bottle of pinot cover and cook in the edge of the fire.

Cook the thing for 2-3 hours, turning it so the oven gets even heat and topping off the wine.

When done, you can cut the meat with a fork.

(edit: Hi to JR)
    in the dutch oven for three to four hours at 300 degrees. Check at hour three

I'd be concerned a sirloin doesn't have enough collagen in it to not get too dry in a braise. Maybe a slow, dry roast to medium rare then slice thin for a classic roast beef? Maybe a yorkshire pudding or popovers to go with it?

I've had great luck roasting damn near anything lean like that at 200 degrees until it gets to the interior temp I want. Stay under 212 (boiling) and it takes around 5 hours. Doneness will be even throughout, thoroughly cooked but not dried out.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    yorkshire pudding
    for the win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

550 for 10-15 minutes then lower to 200 till the desired internal temp (i like 130) is hit. about 3-4 hours with a 3-4lb roast.

I think I cooked my finest filet I've ever cooked yesterday. So simple. Salt and peppered the steaks, little EVOO in a pan and a hunk o' butter heated up, put those on for about 4 mins each side, then into the oven at 350 for about 7 minutes. Simple and Deeeelicious. Useful I know.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

I went 5 hours in the smoker (unintentionally longer than planned due to Mt bike ride) then a few seconds per side in a hot cast iron pan then 4 hours at 225 in the oven in a covered roaster with a splash (or more) of red wine and 1 hour with the lid off. Fkna!!
    Gravy
    Yorkies
    Baked coliflower w cheese
    Mashed potatos
    Ceasar salad
    Apple pie w ice cream

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    I went 5 hours in the smoker (unintentionally longer than planned due to Mt bike ride) then a few seconds per side in a hot cast iron pan then 4 hours at 225 in the oven in a covered roaster with a splash (or more) of red wine and 1 hour with the lid off. Fkna!!
    Gravy
    Yorkies
    Baked coliflower w cheese
    Mashed potatos
    Ceasar salad
    Apple pie w ice cream
    What temp does it get up to in the smoker? That long in the smoker and then in the oven seems like a lot of cooking.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.