Quick Cheat For Slayer Owners Having Bottom-Out Issues

Know there's a bunch of Slayer owners on the boards, and not sure what year models people are running, but if anyone is running a 2012 with the Float RP23, and having that issue where the rear shock would blow through the bottom half of its travel super easily and bottom out, I found a $25 fix after doing some research. Issue I guess is that there's a lot of air in that shock and not enough pressure to provide a good ramp-up in the end of the travel. Bought one of those Fox volume spacer/reducer kits for $25 from Jenson, and installed it using the following instructions: http://service.foxracingshox.com/con...SpacerProc.htm (although without taking the shock off the bike, just bleeding all the air out of it before screwing the sleeve off, and using that spacer in the middle of the three pictured), and although I've only gotten one ride on it since, I noticed no bottoming out, and a pretty smooth feel on big hits, riding DH yesterday after having done the install.

Had been looking around at buying a Monarch or some better shock, but wanted to let any mags dealing with this issue know this is a super cheap fix.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

for even less money you can just put some grease in the air can to take up some volume...

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    for even less money you can just put some grease in the air can to take up some volume...
    Where the hell did you get that crazy idea?

FWIW, this is also a really good thing to do just to fix some mid stroke wallow on ANY bike. But if you're regularly bottoming a frame with an air shock, that's just a shitty frame design.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

the RP23 on my 2012 Slayer feels like it wallows more than I would like, I use most of the travel but don't truly bottom it out much. A spacer would help?

Whilst I like my Slayer (fun, fits, comfortable) I tend to think its just too much bike for most of the trails I ride.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    the RP23 on my 2012 Slayer feels like it wallows more than I would like, I use most of the travel but don't truly bottom it out much. A spacer would help?
    Is it one of those setups that you can change air pressure +/-20lbs and it still sags to the same spot?

If so, yeah a spacer or two would change that and give a little more pumping feedback.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

yeah pretty much, I don't notice 20psi much. Not sure I want to spend $700 on a whole new shock but I would spend $25 for spacers at next service.

been doing it for years Kidwoo. Thought of it myself, there is no reason for the grease to hurt anything...... I vastly prefer the bottomless token on my Pike though. I wonder when we see those on rear shocks.

I was kidding.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...specialized-xs

I talked about it a lot on here for years too. In fact, I'm pretty sure I totally invented it.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Where the hell did you get that crazy idea?

FWIW, this is also a really good thing to do just to fix some mid stroke wallow on ANY bike. But if you're regularly bottoming a frame with an air shock, that's just a shitty frame design.
    True... but $25 to fix a frame flaw seems like a fair trade if you're liking the rest of the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post

Whilst I like my Slayer (fun, fits, comfortable) I tend to think its just too much bike for most of the trails I ride.
    +1. A lot of bike for any of the trails in Jackson that aren't full-on DH trails. Thinking about buying Toast's Lyrik and upping the travel and slacking it out further a tiny bit and reserving it as my mini-DH rig, and getting something with more like 140 travel for everyday trail rides. Totally fucked up and didn't commit to buying JC's Blur TRc before someone bid on it on Ebay...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

I'm going a slightly different direction, cheapie light wheels & 1x to lighten it up & get a few more years out of it. Next bike will be lighter / less travel, but I've other priorities & don't want to buy a whole new bike right now.