Custom ski boot for immobile ankle???

Shattered my ankle 9 months ago and starting to think about how to get my foot in a ski boot. I have super limited dorsiflexion so i can't straighten my foot out to slip it into an overlap boot. Even boots w tongues that still have some overlap under the tongue system are difficult.
    Anyone have any suggestions on certain brands for boots around today?

And as a kicker I ski on dynafits so a boot w tech fittings are desired though I have resigned myself I will prolly have to start rocking fritschis again to accommodate what will prolly be an alpine boot

Thanx

No idea Gimpy, but chiming in to say good luck and offer a little sympathy because I lost a decent amount of dorsiflexion in my accident at Squaw a few years back. Thankful it wasn't more, but it, and other long-term issues, are still enough to be frustrating even almost six years after it happened. Keep the chin up and get after it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Apparently Alpina still makes new boots just like their old 1980s rear entries, but they are very soft and probably ski pretty crappy.

These might be better, but still probably soft as hell.

http://apexskiboots.com/product/mcx-...in-performance

Good luck.

The Scarpa Maestrale series may work for you. The tongue folds completely out of the way to get your foot in and there is no overlap on the lower boot.

Edit: I also believe that Lou Dawson on WildSnow has some type of fused ankle and has made a few posts about his issues with that. Maybe you could search around on there and find some helpful information. I know he is partial to the TLT 5 and TLT 6 these days.

The Maestrale may be what you are looking for ;

you might also want to take a look at the Dalbello Sherpa 5/5 (also tech) .

Apex might address your ankle issue, but it is an alpine boot with no cuff release .
    ( I got a pair for an old alpine skier with ankle issues(,) and they have a lot of potential to help him .
    it is a unique boot , and they can be set-up to be significantly better performing than a Soft boot. )

external tongue construction may go a long way to accommodating your condition ;
    a cuff release mechanism ( ski / Walk ) is also helpful ...

J

I have had a buddy locally recommend the maestrale as well so I will go try on a pair of those ASAP. Need to try to find a size that will work for both feet
    Thanx for the replies++++++

You have more choices than the Maestrale / Maestrale RS - the Dynafit Vulcan, Mercury, One/Neo, TLT6 and La Sportiva Spectre all have tongues that move out of the way or come out completely and all come with tech fittings. I'd suggest trying them all on if possible.

i have a vulcan, no way will that work with fused/limited mobility ankle. Although the tongue moves out of the way, the boot is not that easy to get on.
    There is another way to deal with this. You get a conventional boot, foam liner and have the liner foamed with some padding strategically placed on your foot. Maybe dont even have the tongue shot.
    In addition, once this is done you have this expansion done on the instep of the boot. Using a superfeet expander, you place one side in the heel, and the other side in the instep of the boot, submerge it in hot h20 or use a heat gun on the instep and expand it. Just getting a couple millimeters of expansion does a hell of a lot of good.
    I have done this a ton for people with fused ankles or other lower extremeity issues.
    PM me if you want more info. I think this might be your best bet.
    You near a surefoot, these guys will know how to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Shattered my ankle 9 months ago and starting to think about how to get my foot in a ski boot. I have super limited dorsiflexion so i can't straighten my foot out to slip it into an overlap boot. Even boots w tongues that still have some overlap under the tongue system are difficult.
    Anyone have any suggestions on certain brands for boots around today?

And as a kicker I ski on dynafits so a boot w tech fittings are desired though I have resigned myself I will prolly have to start rocking fritschis again to accommodate what will prolly be an alpine boot

Thanx
    Just out of curiosity, what type of injury did you have? Any hardware? What are your DF measurements?

What is your boot size? I had a tib/fib break just above my ankle a few years back and was able to get in to some axons (with a little help from bootfitter Larry) about 4 months after. The plastic tongue flips way out, I'm pretty sure way more than my vulcans. Might work. I think mine are 28.5. Free for gimps.

since you're looking at rear entry i'd go with this

and i'll take care of disposing of your dynafiddles for you.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.