Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

turn off your cell phone in avy country

And your camera too, I guess. Cell phones and cameras create a measurable disturbance for avalanche beacons:
    http://www.mammutavalanchesafety.com...erference.html

I've noticed that a patrol radio will often affect beacon signals during practice searches.

Seems like your camera is off most of the time anyway, and you'd have to be pretty stupid to stand in the middle of avy terrain to take a photo, but I'm sure it's done every day.

I carry my beacon in my front left pant pocket and phone in the right chest pocket usually turned on, but I think that's further than 20cm (8.5 inches). In a search, I'd try to remember to turn it off, but I can see that being forgotten. Maybe I'll consider turning it off in the future.

It's been our SOP during beacon check for years. We're not in the GoPro gen, but we do usually have radios.

Hmmm why not just turn your phone into a beacon? Cell phones give off a pretty strong signal maybe even stronger then a purpose built beacon. Just thinking out loud.
    Last edited by Tuckerman; 10-08-2014 at 11:14 AM. Reason: grammar police
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    Cell phones give off a pretty strong single
    Probably not even a single[sic] bar buried under snow though.

When you're buried in an avalanche you really don't want your rescuers running around on the surface asking "can you hear me now?"

maybe even stronger then a purpose built beacon
    What "signal" do they just "give off" that would be stronger? blue tooth? Or do you mean maintaining a cellular call in avy terrain? Call at the car hang up at the bar?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

i'm good about turning my mobile off when touring, but the times i beep inbounds, i have to admit i leave the phone on

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Seems like your camera is off most of the time anyway, ...
    GoPro?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    Hmmm why not just turn your phone into a beacon? Cell phones give off a pretty strong single maybe even stronger then a purpose built beacon. Just thinking out loud.
    Because frequency? And receiving someone else?

Edit so as not to be too cryptic: cell phones don't transmit on 457hz frequency, which beacons receive, and cell phones don't receive 457hz, which you'd need to search for someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    GoPro?
    Report mentions chest harness cameras.

Probably unwise to bad mouth a ~$3 billion corporation in a snow science white paper though

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Report mentions chest harness cameras.
    And those seem to be on all the time.

Probably unwise to bad mouth a ~$3 billion corporation in a snow science white paper though
    In a perfect world, GoPro would probably put something about radio interference prominently in the instructions.

Good reminder MS

Nothing new in the Mammut paper - this article has been around for several years
    http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/Interference.asp

And this was presented at the last ISSW
    http://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...eivers-6497429

In my own unscientific testing, interference seems to occur when a smartphone is less than 6" from the beacon, and when the phone is transmitting Bluetooth signal (wireless headset).

Tuckerman, convergence of the smartphone and beacon occurred five years ago.
    https://www.wildsnow.com/1773/avi-th...on-for-iphone/

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    GoPro?
    Uh yeah, duh. Didn't even cross my mind, I just don't own one.

Mostly old news (but good reminder), but....

Quote Originally Posted by Mammut
    Please note: "Airplane Mode" on a smartphone does NOT reduce the electromagnetic field sufficiently. Phones need to be OFF or at a distance greater than the respective recomended distances.
    This is the first I've seen something specifically talk about whether or not going to airplane mode is sufficient for smart phones. Simply going to airplane mode has been SOP for many (including me). I do keep my phone more than 50cm away from my beacon (top pocket in my backpack), but it appears turning it fully off is the better call.

Everyone I know that uses a Go Pro puts it on their helmet when touring for exactly this reason.

Easy enough to just leave the phone and or camera in the car. Less to carry. Then there's no chance for interference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr brownstone View Post
    Easy enough to just leave the phone and or camera in the car. Less to carry. Then there's no chance for interference.
    Except if you need to call for help. Imagine an injured member of your party or another party needs help and you are five miles across a valley from a trailhead. Gonna be a lot longer evac if you have to ski to the trailhead, get your phone, call for help, and wait.

Except if you need to call for help. Imagine an injured member of your party or another party needs help and you are five miles across a valley from a trailhead. Gonna be a lot longer evac if you have to ski to the trailhead, get your phone, call for help, and wait.
    Exactly. This is why I like to (and advocate) carrying your phone but having it off. In addition to avoiding possible interference, it helps save the battery for an instance when you might actually need it (evac).

Except if you need to call for help.
    The Rog don't need help.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    The Rog don't need help.
    I know, I fell for it, hook line and sinker. He only tours on golf courses, and only 72 hours after a storm.

I am still waiting for the pieps app for sunglass retrieval - sux losing them in bc to a burial -
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    I am still waiting for the pieps app for sunglass retrieval - sux losing them in bc to a burial -
    Croakies solve this^^^^^^

True - but they suck when you want to play spider solitaire in the tent
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Honestly tho, many of us started touring long before cell phones, new fangled cameras and other tracking devices existed. Twas just a pieps 457 opti-finder, a probe, and a shovel. We knew we were out there on our own and if shit hit the fan, it was on us to get home safely. Mindful of every single step and move to achieve that goal.

Worked fine back then, still does. To each their own.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-beacon-search

Keep phones, or IMO anything with a power supply and turned on, including airplane mode, from getting close to a beacon in SEARCH mode.

IMO a phone, camera, or similar isn't going to interfere or drown out a beacon in SEND mode, can't hurt to turn it off though. Likely fine to have the phone and beacon on at the resort, keep them in separate pockets. Are you going to remember to keep the phone or Gopro away from the beacon in haste, if you have to do a search?

Beacons work at 457 kHz, much lower frequency than cell phones or bluetooth, because it propagates better through snow and other objects.

ETA: The Mammut paper also makes the very reasonable point that having your SEND beacon near a big piece of metal, or even foil, like a shovel blade or even Jonathan's pocket full of Gu wrappers, can cause problems.

Rog is getting all Walter Bonatti on us.

Next he'll be missing hand/home made pitons, hemp ropes and hobnail climbing boots.

Even better than a phone, have a PLB or similar
    http://m.rei.com/learn/expert-advice...r-beacons.html

Quote Originally Posted by smitchell333 View Post
    Even better than a phone, have a PLB or similar
    http://m.rei.com/learn/expert-advice...r-beacons.html
    Yeah, and don't forget to activate it before every run!

Remember the kid who was activating his PLB that he got for xmas before every run on Berthoud pass?
    http://berthoudpass.org/2009/12/27/p...am-needs-help/

You know, there were probably people skiing the backcountry before beacons too rog. I used a peips 457 for a few years too, then I upgraded.