Pic TR: 3 Days in Fruita, GJ, and Palisade

A group of friends (Powtron and Donkey Punch included) and I met up in Fruita this weekend to ride as much as we could for three days, and it turned into a pretty successful trip. Minimal injuries, no major mechanical issues, and about 70 miles of kick-ass riding.

We started Friday afternoon on Palisade Rim, an overlooked trail in the area but an absolute must-ride in my book:

That evening, we met up with three other buddies to shred 18-Road for a couple hours at sunset. We managed to hit all the classics: Zippity, Kessel, Joe's, MoJoe's, and PBR:

Dropping Zippity as the sun dropped below the horizon... such an awesome time to be out there:

Saturday morning, we did the classic Loma Trail ride with Mary's, Horsethief, and Steve's. This was the drop-in to Horsethief:

Coming around the corner in the wash section of Horsethief:

Dropping into Steve's Loop:

That night, we headed back to 18-road to ride at sunset since it was so awesome the night before (and we were a little beat from the morning ride).

Just about perfect golden-hour lighting:

And finally on Sunday, we headed over to GJ to ride The Ribbon and a few lower trails around the Lunch Loops. In my opinion, The Ribbon is just "meh": amazing scenery, but the trail isn't well marked and it's tough to follow. The trails down lower were much better.

Super fun weekend!
    You should have been here yesterday!

nice. looks like a great weekend. haven't ridden in the dirt in far too long. having withdrawals.

Nice photos. I would like to ride there someday.

Good stuff! Trying to figure out which weekend to head back over that way.... it's only an hour and a few to palisade from my door.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Did anyone clean the drop into Horsethief? Looks like they were about to attempt it...
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Did anyone clean the drop into Horsethief? Looks like they were about to attempt it...
    I got pshyched out and stopped as I dropped into the bottom third. Pisses me off as I know I can ride that, but the one section with the narrow crack is eroded away this year and it is messing with my head. I am going back in the Spring and riding that shit with armor on

Great TR! It's been a couple years since I was last there and I'd love to get back. Free Lunch humbled me. Thanks for the stoke.

Matching purple shorts and pack, enduro? Nice photos.

Nice pics! I've heard nothing but good things about Palisade Rim, need to go check that one out

Solid TR, nice work! Can't wait to ride there someday, great pics-

Yeah, Steve! Nice TR, man. Just posted a bike guide to Fruita on the main site and between the TR and that, definitely got me amped to check it out. what trail is this one called again?

"We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

^ that's my favorite shot, very nice.

excellent TR, thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Yeah, Steve! Nice TR, man. Just posted a bike guide to Fruita on the main site and between the TR and that, definitely got me amped to check it out. what trail is this one called again?

That's near the top of Joe's Ridge.

That all looks sick, yeah!
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Matching purple shorts and pack, enduro? Nice photos.
    I am so enduro, you don't even know...

Okay thanks Steve! Sounds like a good candidate for a trip between now and November...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Yep, I highly recommend a nice long weekend between Fruita and Moab.... you won't be disappointed.

If TGR (or you) needs an awesome- and cheap- photographer to document your trip, you know where to find me.
    Last edited by smmokan; 10-09-2014 at 04:05 PM.