Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

G3 Ion. Anyone buy one yet?

Need bindings for a set of new Yeti's.

Any engineers out there have a chance to dissect the Ion heel unit? I've had a chance to stare at a demo set mounted on plastic and got the brakes to randomly pop open when locked down in tour mode... while violently jarring it.

Wondering if the brake parts can be stripped without compromising the function of the moving parts hidden below the plastic? Skinning with deployed brakes could be a bit frustrating. Any insight here? (other than not getting a set this year... I'll buy a GoPro so everyone can get the first person as I tommy down a hill after I rip a set apart.)

Other than that, looks OK? Toe piece looks beefy and the heel lifter top piece is shinny metal too. And, there's a guy doing a backflip on the G3 promo video with them, so should be bomber right?

The forum's silence discouraged me .... so, I chickened out.

Went with speed turn heels and radical toes.

I'd still be curious on the stuff above if anyone has any input.

Cheers,

Can't make an independent decision? Who takes apart their heel piece? (Other then the guys at wild snow who probably get one for free, I would take their advice more seriously then most here)

http://www.mec.ca/shop/snowsports-bi...4+51706+51708/

If you need a DIN12 binding the ION is 130$ < a dynafit FT I think G3 will sell lots of these
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

G3 are basicly just copying the dynafit design which is a good thing IMO so If I had to pay list for a tech binding right now I would be looking at the ION but I found verts on close out last year ... $ 266 !
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    I have no reason to suspect that they won't preform or will be of poor quality.... Besides, G3 has an amazing warranty department. I am buying 2 pairs.
    Exactly. G3 tested the Ion for the past 4 years prior to releasing it to the public for this season. They didn't want a repeat of the early Onyx shitshow.

Considering these binders. Been on Guardians and dukes before that and Naxo's before that.

Was hoping to somehow get my hands on the new marker's but doesn't look like it is happening.

Has anyone spent time on snow on these? Spend about 75% of my time sled lapping mini lines and skiing aggressively. I still want something that I will feel 100% confident in hitting drops, pillow lines, straight lines etc...
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

just 4 days. Felt solid but I skied them on pretty soft snow so my input is imo literally of no value. Plus I'm pinner at 160lbs

I am scrawny as well but go pretty hard and am hard on my gear. (skis live with dirty beercans in the back of truck). Will be my first full on tech binder and am just nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    I am scrawny as well but go pretty hard and am hard on my gear. (skis live with dirty beercans in the back of truck). Will be my first full on tech binder and am just nervous.
    I've skied my ft 12 s for a few years and I'm pretty burly . No issues . I'm sure you will be fine! Send it !
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

Spend about 75% of my time sled lapping mini lines and skiing aggressively. I still want something that I will feel 100% confident in hitting drops, pillow lines, straight lines etc...
    Dude, stay with frame bindings unless you are spending >75% of your time ski touring over distances and generally skiing like a ski tourer does (like me, who never drinks and drives and brings his skis in to dry each night so no refreeze gets into the binding parts... you get the picture)
    Life is not lift served.

Or CAST. They'd b the perfect fit for sled touring straight line hucking. I sold my fatter dynafit touring ski last yr mid winter/spring so I toured for a number of days on my deathwishes w CAST setup. Extra weight but toured way better than any frame binding. Then next day inbounds. No issues. Couple days/trips and change overs are dialed. Psyched to have CAST setup in the mix. Dedicated touring I've had zero issues in 15yrs on dynafit apart from the earliest model with the adjustable toe pins that had a few yrs on them. My ft's and st's are going on my new touring skis(praxis yeti st's and gpo ul ft's) and CAST with ffg's on glass gpo's. You might consider beasts but sounds like CAST application

What these guys said. Frame bindings, CAST, or Beast. I've skied some hairball shit on tech bindings and gotten away with it, but no way did i feel 100% confident like i would on alpine gear or burly AT stuff. Caveat- i haven't skied the Ion, and while it looks like a great binding, i don't see anything in the design that would address the things that make other tech bindings less than inspiring for doing dumb shit.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    anything in the design that would address the things that make other tech bindings less than inspiring for doing dumb shit.
    Maybe the heel piece that has 6mm of travel and no gap? That would have saved me from some insta-tele moves when rebounding (over cambering) out of deep but dense powder after a sit-to-pee kind of huck that I am famous for.

But even that wouldn't accommodate serious demands placed on the bindings' dynamic range, what ever that means.
    Life is not lift served.

OP, please buy the gen1 Ions, ski them hard until they break and report details with pics of the aftermath. G3 needs the data for gen2

generally skiing like a ski tourer does (like me, who never drinks and drives and brings his skis in to dry each night so no refreeze gets into the binding parts... you get the picture)
    Good point, except most of my buddies have the same problem and I don't like skiing alone.

2 out of 3 pairs of skis this year are full carbon. I haven't really noticed the weight of the Guardians while skiing (touring they are f-ing heavy @ 6 lbs) but it seems like a waste to put heavy bindings on light skis! That is why I am leaning towards tech binders. I think I will try them out and see what happens.

Dynafit Beast @ $600 at backcountry right now -- way lighter than a guardian, tours better, still very solid and confidence inspiring. Based on a quick look at the shop, I can't see how the Ion is significantly (if any) better than the current dynafit radical FT. Actually, the heel pins had play (wiggle up and down) on the Ion. The Beast feels super secure and proved to be very trustworthy in my spring days on them last year.

Doesn't look like the beast works well with the Cochise boot...? Sorry tech binding newb!

Doesn't look like the beast works well with the Cochise boot...? Sorry tech binding newb!
    ehh umm what? it works just fine.

Don't really want to be drilling holes into my boot if possible
    https://www.wildsnow.com/10725/beast...heel-internal/

Don't really want to be drilling holes into my boot if possible
    https://www.wildsnow.com/10725/beast...heel-internal/
    regardless of boot you need to add the beast heel fitting. with the cochise it goes through the interchangeable soles and into the boot itself (not sure about other brands with similar changeable heels) meaning that in order to change the heel you need to unscrew the beast fitting as well. The heel with beast fitting works just fine in a variety of alpine bindings.

Got a good price on Ions and placed a order. Will be checking back here in about a month or so. Hopefully with good news.

I have some Ions.

But I won't be skiing them until March so hopefully any v1.0 stories are out in the open by then.
    Last edited by CarveMan; 10-30-2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by CarveMan View Post
    But I won't be skiing them until March
    Poor bastard.

FYI: with Dynafit bindings I could usually get away with a tight fitting brake. Sizing a heel piece on a ski today and actuating the brake makes me think you might want some extra space with the ION.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Poor bastard.

FYI: with Dynafit bindings I could usually get away with a tight fitting brake. Sizing a heel piece on a ski today and actuating the brake makes me think you might want some extra space with the ION.
    I got the 95mm brake so I think it will need some encouragement on whatever I put it on. I think it's going on an all-new 102mm ski that I can't talk about until February.