NSR: Wireless Router

Yes, searched and read the other threads.

TLR -> Do I need a dual band wireless router?

I'm running a TP-LINK TL-WR841N connected to a Comcast Cable modem. This is a 2.4 Ghz 802.11b/g/n compatible router.

Here is the issue. We have 2 cellphones, two computer and a Roku (was wired connection) that at any point can be connected to the router. I am struggling to get a consistent strong connection to the router in an apartment complex from one end of the apartment to the other (probably 45 feet max). My wife needs to stream video in the office, while I work, surf the web, watch TV in the living room/dining room, etc. Router has been relocated today from the living room to the office.

At first I thought this was a Comcast issue (and occasionally the modem does need to be reset), but if we have both computers and Roku going in the same room near the router, everything seems to work fine and she can stream her video's fine. I just moved the router into the office and now I get poor connection on the Roku and on my computer in the living room. Also, just ran a speed test. Sitting across the apartment ~2.4 mb/s. Sitting next to the router ~10 mb/s

So, would a dual band router fix this? And, if so please recommend a router.
    Last edited by char; 10-05-2014 at 01:43 PM.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Have you checked using a wifi analyzer? Sounds like you may be on the same channel as a neighbor.

I just downloaded and ran one, My router is the only one on the channel it is using. Thanks for the idea.

Keep an eye one it. Sometimes my neighbor's signal comes and go. Also, your router signal spreads over to adjacent channels so it's best to have the ones next to yours clear.

There are 12 other wifi routers operating in my vicinity., so there isn't alot of room to move in any direction. Thus my thinking that moving to a dual band system (which most of our devices can operate on) would help. Its not the strongest signal either, so I'm wondering if flashing to dd-wrt would allow me to tweak that. I am already at "high" on the built in firmware.

I hear you. I live in a single family home neighborhood and the first 12 channels are still pretty jammed.

Can you get a booster?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Can you get a booster?
    For reference, this is a 30x40 foot apartment I am living in.

I think in reality everyone could be running at low power just fine, but...
    It's like when the guy in the front row has to stand up. Now the guy behind him can't see so he stands up. Eventually, everyone is standing.
    So your network is marginal. You turn the power up to max. You neighbor now has to do the same thing, etc....
    I can see fairly strong signals in my house from homes that are 150-200 yds away.
    Moving to the other band is probably your best choice.

Start with the basics- what channel are you on? ( 1, 6, and 11 are the best ones to reduce overlap, 12 is not available in USA)- do your survey again and pick the channel that has the fewest and weakest overlapping signals from your neighbors. Also what happens with a device plugged into the wired side- streaming issues go away? (If not then it could be your cable modem and cable side...) Do your devices support both 2.4 and 5 Ghz? 2.4 is going to provide typically longer range distance, but it is a busier frequency with interference with other devices like cordless phones, microwaves, and other wireless devices.
    http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=499

i can probably "locate" you some tools to just keep knocking the other routers off line every time they are restarted....its kinda fun in an apartment complex.

Bought a Buffalo Wireless N600 Dual Band router.

I ran a speedtest and get ~28 mb/s download speeds on the 5ghz network and ~1.5 mb/s on the 2.4 ghz.

Totally worth the $35.