Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Following your passion

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    so doing some quick checking, I am not a networking person, we don't run the configuration in question and don't experience the issues described. We benefit for the decision we made, but we don't fully understand how or why.
    Check.

but what do I know, I'm just a DBA
    You nailed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    The keys to happiness are low overhead and low expectations.
    Absolute truth.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    Check.

You nailed it.
    have fun being a cunt - I'm sure I get your side of the fence more than you get mine

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    All along the west coast there is a shortage of Union Ironworkers, Electricians, Laborers and Equipment Operators. I can give you the phone number of the local Business agents in LA, SF, Portland or Seattle and have you working tomorrow. I'm absolutely serious. Right now the ironworkers are coming from CO and UT to SF, because they are getting paid a premium.

It is hard, body breaking work, but we did the math once and (with student loans accounted for) a union ironworker starting at age 18 as an apprentice and then climbing the ranks to Foreman would make more money in his career and have a bigger retirement than a General Practice Doctor when they retire at 65.
    Having actually been a Journeyman ironworker I've seen people get killed on the job and had several near misses myself one guy got whacked on his last day after 35 years of work
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

have fun being a cunt - I'm sure I get your side of the fence more than you get mine
    lol... you ask a question, you get an answer. Maybe next time someone tells you to go wait in the car, you'll listen.
    Hugh Conway sucks
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Having actually been a Journeyman ironworker I've seen people get killed on the job and had several near misses myself one guy got whacked on his last day after 35 years of work
    Toughest bunch of guys I ever met.

One of the old timers once told me that they used to be even tougher. Back when they riveted steel together, one guy used to throw up cherry red hot rivets to the riveter who would catch them in a bucket, grab them with a glove and then another guy would bash them into the holes. And you had to keep up.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

All along the west coast there is a shortage of Union Ironworkers, Electricians, Laborers and Equipment Operators. I can give you the phone number of the local Business agents in LA, SF, Portland or Seattle and have you working tomorrow. I'm absolutely serious. Right now the ironworkers are coming from CO and UT to SF, because they are getting paid a premium.

It is hard, body breaking work, but we did the math once and (with student loans accounted for) a union ironworker starting at age 18 as an apprentice and then climbing the ranks to Foreman would make more money in his career and have a bigger retirement than a General Practice Doctor when they retire at 65.
    QFT -- a friend of mine became an apprentice ironworker and enjoys it. His passion is building art projects and burning them, but that doesn't pay the bills.

And there are a lot of cranky old fucks. Chill the fuck out for pete's sake, or take it to poolitical asshattery.

My brother in law is still passionate about pediatric oncology treatment and research, despite all the horror he's seen. He's even had a few treatment protocols been implemented.

shrug

Follow your passion or not, the same fate awaits:

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
    Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
    To the last syllable of recorded time;
    And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
    The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
    Signifying nothing.

DC is nothing but white collar wannabes "living the dream" of passing paper and sport fucking the american public.
    Pretty much. Life was good when I took my turn.

watch a construction guy try to get laid in DC sometime; that'll answer your question.
    The DC girls you're referring to are just trying to sleep their way to the top. That's not for these guys, and these guys don't want it. These guys are like my crane operator on a job, who was sleeping with two sisters from the local card room (they didn't know he was two timing them). When they found out, their big brothers came into the picture, brawl ensued at the poker room bar. We only found out about the story when he didn't show up for work the next morning, and he finally called the superintendent asking him to give him a ride to work after a weekend in county.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Hugh Conway Guest
    there's plenty of hard workers who don't draw inspiration from duck dynasty, but thanks for the stereotyping engineer. the dc people are just generally horrible shallow people; all ranges of motivations. again, not that much different than other megapolises other than concentration and totemic orientation (they don't pretend to be outdoorsy like outwest, or go slightly beyond pretending to be cultured like NYC)

edit: and char just brings up the other dirty secret: you'll get fucked unless you are up in the union pecking order. no different than the other blue collar jobs, which aren't much different than white collar jobs though

Didn't a large percentage of these guys just spend multiple months/years without employment though?
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    Didn't a large percentage of these guys just spend multiple months/years without employment though?
    Mostly they spent a few years hvaing to travel farther for jobs that didn't pay as well. Throughout the recession there was work in the Dakotas. Building steel buildings is not nearly as much fun as putting up skyscrapers, but it still pays the bills.

not that much different than other megapolises other than concentration and totemic orientation (they don't pretend to be outdoorsy like outwest, or go slightly beyond pretending to be cultured like NYC)
    cheesy little aphorism:

NYC - what you know
    DC - who you know
    LA - who you blow

always subject to exception, Gerry Studds made DC about who you blow, but most long-time DC residents who were there during the Studds scandal and before know that the Page program has always been a "Sleeping" for a Promotion gig.

Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    The good hands are always working regardless of union status, economy or whatever. The bad/lazy ones don't work. Projects are always going forward regardless of the economy, and the mega projects can often end up spanning an entire economic drop (i.e. SF Bay Bridge).

And Hugh, which one of us started sterotyping first? Last time I checked, DC was a big city with people from plenty of walks of life, and I'm sure PLENTY of DC construction workers get laid, as they're mostly fairly normal people (with redneck tendencies). I would also assume there are more women there than just the power play get to the top by any means beltway types.

Dick.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Hugh caught throwing chernobyl ant at hatchery fish

The good hands are always working regardless of union status, economy or whatever. The bad/lazy ones don't work. Projects are always going forward regardless of the economy, and the mega projects can often end up spanning an entire economic drop (i.e. SF Bay Bridge).
    Makes sense.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Hugh Conway Guest
    And Hugh, which one of us started sterotyping first? Last time I checked, DC was a big city with people from plenty of walks of life, and I'm sure PLENTY of DC construction workers get laid, as they're mostly fairly normal people (with redneck tendencies). I would also assume there are more women there than just the power play get to the top by any means beltway types. .
    I know you are talking out your ass

sense, it's just the sunshine bullshit megacontractor government teat sucker from Sapp. but hey, you share that CE we failed math bullshit worldview.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    "Small Business Information Technology Journal"

Tell me how I sell that to Citibank, JPM, and IB's? Article is a crock for large enterprise compliance.

DC is nothing but white collar wannabes "living the dream" of passing paper and sport fucking the american public.
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    Pretty much. Life was good when I took my turn.
    You're both right. A Large metropolitan area is wholly run by lawmakers and lawyers. Bitch please.

there's plenty of hard workers who don't draw inspiration from duck dynasty, but thanks for the stereotyping engineer.
    You're the one stereotyping, yet now that it's about your career you take umbrage? Kick ass. ibid.:

the dc people are just generally horrible shallow people; all ranges of motivations. again, not that much different than other megapolises other than concentration and totemic orientation (they don't pretend to be outdoorsy like outwest, or go slightly beyond pretending to be cultured like NYC)
    Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    cheesy little aphorism:

NYC - what you know
    DC - who you know
    LA - who you blow

always subject to exception, Gerry Studds made DC about who you blow, but most long-time DC residents who were there during the Studds scandal and before know that the Page program has always been a "Sleeping" for a Promotion gig.
    You're so smart! I never knew that fucking the pages was unheard of until a gay guy did it! You must be so fucking hard right now. Lube or dry?

And Hugh, which one of us started sterotyping first? Last time I checked, DC was a big city with people from plenty of walks of life, and I'm sure PLENTY of DC construction workers get laid, as they're mostly fairly normal people (with redneck tendencies). I would also assume there are more women there than just the power play get to the top by any means beltway types.

Dick.
    Exactly. It's like claiming all New Yorkers work on Wall Street, everyone in the Bay Area and Seattle are DotCom robots, and all Denverites are stoners. In other words, it's stupid... or trolling. Potayto Potahto.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    everyone in the Bay Area and Seattle are DotCom robots
    they are these days. Voluntarily segregation bitch.

Interesting thread to me. I had a passion out of HS but was advised to go in a different direction out of necessity. Never looked back at what could have been because it couldn't have been. No regrets. But I've always advised to follow the passion.

The kid next door went to a lib arts collage to follow his girlfriend. Flunked out 1st year.

Me: So, Dave, what are you going to do?
    Dave: Idonnno
    Me: What do you like to do?
    Dave: Idonnno
    Me: C'mon. What do you consider fun?
    Dave: I like to cook.
    Me: Bingo!! Go for it
    Dave: Yathink?
    Me: You like to cook. Your a smart kid who was raised right so you'll work hard and be a great cook. Maybe you'll have your own TV show and get stupid rich or maybe you'll cook at resort in Tahiti for room and board and live in paradise doing what you love. Win Win.

Dave got into Culinary Inst. of America. Did well. Got a first job as a Sous Chef at a country club. Had the head chefs job in 6 months. Cooked for a few more years and now has a job reping a food distributor making good money and loving his life.

Not everyone has a career passion and that's normal. Even those that do have a passion often need help to discover it.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Dave got into Culinary Inst. of America. Did well. Got a first job as a Sous Chef at a country club. Had the head chefs job in 6 months. Cooked for a few more years and now has a job reping a food distributor making good money and loving his life.

Not everyone has a career passion and that's normal. Even those that do have a passion often need help to discover it.
    So he no longer cooks, which was his "passion." I think you're making my point. Shit changes, mainly due to reality. He's now in sales after getting into the field in a creative fashion. I'm sure the money is better, but he's certainly not cooking at resort in Tahiti for room and board.

Oh, I'm sure he still cooks. What he wants when he wants and for whom he wants. Reaching for his passion brought him to where he wanted to be. Yuse godda problem widdat? I've mentored this way a dozen times. WTF do you KNOW? Tell me what you KNOW so I can grow. Your how to read is weak but it's the internet.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    "Small Business Information Technology Journal"

Tell me how I sell that to Citibank, JPM, and IB's? Article is a crock for large enterprise compliance.
    That's not the case. Math is still math, regardless of the size of your organization. Having worked as an infrastructure engineer for several large investment banks, including one you mentioned, I can appreciate the difficulty of selling the truth to a technology executive, but that doesn't make it wrong.
    Hugh Conway sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I would think that the ladies would be more interested in a guy with income than a snotty white collar wannabe whining about how he can't find a job.
    Hehehehe. You've been out of the dating scene for a long time.

Not that I haven't either, but I can tell you that in every city I've lived in the women/young women are more interested in pedigree/potential then paycheck.

That may be the circles and business I run in, but I can say at my local dive I see that exact situation play out every single week - good blue collar dudes with lots of walking around money and a lake house getting the short end of the stick to the unemployed Buckhead truster with the UVA/Emory/GTown/Vandy/GT/Duke/UNC... degree. They all want your business card too (to the point above) once they hear your pedigree too.

What happened to my dive bar!?!
    I still call it The Jake.