Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Following your passion

http://yellowhammernews.com/faithand...we-dirty-jobs/

Mike Rowe of “Dirty Jobs” has made a habit of going viral on the Internet by responding to fan questions, like the time a fan told him to prove he was the real-deal and wasn’t living a posh celebrity lifestyle and Rowe responded by giving a photo-tour of his apartment.

On Tuesday it was Stephen Adams of Auburn, Alabama who wrote in questioning a now famous speech in which Rowe said “follow your passion” was the worst advice he’d ever received.

“Hi, Mike. Let me begin by saying that I love what you and your foundation are attempting to do,” Adams wrote. “However, I’m confused by your directive to NOT “follow your passion.” I think it can be safely argued that if no one followed their passion, companies like Apple, Microsoft, Dow, and many more wouldn’t exist. If no one follows their passion, who innovates? Who founds companies that provide jobs for the outstanding workers that your foundation aims to help?”

Rowe’s complete response can be found below:

Hi Stephen

A few years ago, I did a special called “The Dirty Truth.” In it, I challenged the conventional wisdom of popular platitudes by offering “dirtier,” more individualistic alternatives. For my inspiration, I looked to those hackneyed bromides that hang on the walls of corporate America. The ones that extoll passersby to live up to their potential by “dreaming bigger,” “working smarter,” and being a better “team player.” In that context, I first saw “Follow Your Passion” displayed in the conference room of a telemarketing firm that employed me thirty years ago. The words appeared next to an image of a rainbow, arcing gently over a waterfall and disappearing into a field of butterflies. Thinking of it now still makes me throw up in my mouth.

Like all bad advice, “Follow Your Passion” is routinely dispensed as though it’s wisdom were both incontrovertible and equally applicable to all. It’s not. Just because you’re passionate about something doesn’t mean you won’t suck at it. And just because you’re determined to improve doesn’t mean that you will. Does that mean you shouldn’t pursue a thing you’re passionate about?” Of course not. The question is, for how long, and to what end?

When it comes to earning a living and being a productive member of society – I don’t think people should limit their options to those vocations they feel passionate towards. I met a lot of people on Dirty Jobs who really loved their work. But very few of them dreamed of having the career they ultimately chose. I remember a very successful septic tank cleaner who told me his secret of success. “I looked around to see where everyone else was headed, and then I went the opposite way,” he said. “Then I got good at my work. Then I found a way to love it. Then I got rich.”

Every time I watch The Oscars, I cringe when some famous movie star – trophy in hand – starts to deconstruct the secret to happiness. It’s always the same thing, and I can never hit “mute” fast enough to escape the inevitable cliches. “Don’t give up on your dreams kids, no matter what.” “Don’t let anyone tell you that you don’t have what it takes.” And of course, “Always follow your passion!”

Today, we have millions looking for work, and millions of good jobs unfilled because people are simply not passionate about pursuing those particular opportunities. Do we really need Lady GaGa telling our kids that happiness and success can be theirs if only they follow their passion?

There are many examples – including those you mention – of passionate people with big dreams who stayed the course, worked hard, overcame adversity, and changed the world though sheer pluck and determination. We love stories that begin with a dream, and culminate when that dream comes true. And to your question, we would surely be worse off without the likes of Bill Gates and Thomas Edison and all the other innovators and Captains of Industry. But from my perspective, I don’t see a shortage of people who are willing to dream big. I see people struggling because their reach has exceeded their grasp.

I’m fascinated by the beginning of American Idol. Every year, thousands of aspiring pop-stars show up with great expectations, only to learn that they don’t have anything close to the skills they thought they did. What’s amazing to me, isn’t their lack of talent – it’s their lack of awareness, and the resulting shock of being rejected. How is it that so many people are so blind to their own limitations? How did these peope get the impression they could sing in the first place? Then again, is their incredulity really so different than the surprise of a college graduate who learns on his first interview that his double major in Medieval Studies and French Literature doesn’t guarantee him the job he expected? In a world where everyone gets a trophy, encouragement trumps honesty, and realistic expectations go out the window.

When I was 16, I wanted to follow in my grandfathers footsteps. I wanted to be a tradesman. I wanted to build things, and fix things, and make things with my own two hands. This was my passion, and I followed it for years. I took all the shop classes at school, and did all I could to absorb the knowledge and skill that came so easily to my granddad. Unfortunately, the handy gene skipped over me, and I became frustrated. But I remained determined to do whatever it took to become a tradesman.

One day, I brought home a sconce from woodshop that looked like a paramecium, and after a heavy sigh, my grandfather told me the truth. He explained that my life would be a lot more satisfying and productive if I got myself a different kind of toolbox. This was almost certainly the best advice I’ve ever received, but at the time, it was crushing. It felt contradictory to everything I knew about persistence, and the importance of “staying the course.” It felt like quitting. But here’s the “dirty truth,” Stephen. “Staying the course” only makes sense if you’re headed in a sensible direction. Because passion and persistence – while most often associated with success – are also essential ingredients of futility.

That’s why I would never advise anyone to “follow their passion” until I understand who they are, what they want, and why they want it. Even then, I’d be cautious. Passion is too important to be without, but too fickle to be guided by. Which is why I’m more inclined to say, “Don’t Follow Your Passion, But Always Bring it With You.”

Carry On
    Mike

Cliffs notes: If your passion won't lead you anywhere, following your passion is stupid.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

That was very well said and probably what every commencement speaker wishes they could formulate when tasked with giving guiding words.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Cliffs notes: If your passion won't lead you anywhere, following your passion is stupid.
    "Just because you’re passionate about something doesn’t mean you won’t suck at it."

It is nice you care about others so much to "let them in on" the wisdom of ages.

To try and quit is pure failure. To try, fail, and try again with the new perspective of what you learned from failure is the mark of intellect.

TONS of stupid people with no intellect or intelligence need to hear drivel like this guy. SO what? There are plenty of garbage men in this world......

What we need more of is people who follow passion and TAKE RISKS. Being a smart pussy is retarded.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Today, we have millions looking for work, and millions of good jobs unfilled because people are simply not passionate about pursuing those particular opportunities
    I'd like to know where these millions of un-filled jobs are that he is talking about.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Oh, and you fucking retards....passion is suffering and something you suffer for...not something you "love" or "enjoy".

So stop being a boring desk jockey and get out there and take risk and push yourself. There is plenty of time when you get old to actually work...
    Terje was right.

I'm good, I get paid for my passion.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Oh, and you fucking retards....passion is suffering and something you suffer for...not something you "love" or "enjoy".

So stop being a boring desk jockey and get out there and take risk and push yourself. There is plenty of time when you get old to actually work...
    How are you paying for those two hookers, again? Oh right...dream big, right?

I'm hella-passionate about mediocrity. No seriously, I'd like to become famous just so I could be a judge on one of those talent shows and crush people's dreams.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    I'm hella-passionate about mediocrity. No seriously, I'd like to become famous just so I could be a judge on one of those talent shows and crush people's dreams.
    That is simon cowel's gig/shtick already.
    Terje was right.

Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    I'd like to know where these millions of un-filled jobs are that he is talking about.
    Yeah, that stuck out for me, too.

This has become a bit of a mantra for me (because of the work I do): there is no labor shortage in America, not for any job at all, there is only a wage shortage. If there are "millions of good jobs unfilled" it is solely because there are millions of jobs not paying a market wage. And that's by definition.

The Jim Jefferies thing on "Dreams" is right down the same alley, I can't find a clip on youtube that has the whole bit but it's good.

This one?

There were over 200 applicants and 80 that met the basic requirements for the job i am starting monday. 17 of those will be hired over the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    This one?
    That's the start of it (with added sappy piano) but it goes a couple minutes more. There's another one that goes longer but still misses the end, which is the best part. Oh well.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    This has become a bit of a mantra for me (because of the work I do): there is no labor shortage in America, not for any job at all, there is only a wage shortage. If there are "millions of good jobs unfilled" it is solely because there are millions of jobs not paying a market wage. And that's by definition.
    < shrug > there are most definitely shortages of highly skilled technical workers; because such positions require lots of experience and education the supply is pretty inelastic ( I realize the 5-fingered legal brigade doesn't understand this, don't worry the crackerjack MBAs don't either).

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    That's the start of it (with added sappy piano) but it goes a couple minutes more. There's another one that goes longer but still misses the end, which is the best part. Oh well.
    Here's the transcript at least.

"You know these major countries, all the good ones; ahmm do you know we have a higher rate of suicide than the people of Africa? Lets just think about that for a second. People in Africa 1 in 4 are dying from aids, they are sitting in the grass that's hot from their own shit, they walk 5 miles to get water with a fucking jug on their head yet they are happier than you. You are sitting at home with a fucking pantries full of food, watching fucking X Factor on 1 of the 700 channels going:" I'm not happy aaaaaa".

And do you want to know why you're not happy. Because we were brought up on dreams. Even when I said that you're all silent because all of you are going:"You better not fuck with my dreams". You think dreams are wonderful, you think dreams are the great thing of life, you got to have dreams. You know what happens with dreams that don't happen; you fucking pffft (showing the act of one shooting himself). You know what dreams are like in Africa? "Don't die today, don't die today, don't die today", that's a real fucking dream.

And I'm as guilty as you man. When I was a young comic all I wanted to do is to go on stage for 5 minutes and make people laugh. Then I thought:" Fuck that man, they better pay me" and then they started paying me and I went:" I am better than these cunts, I'm going to be a headliner" became a headliner and then I went to the annual festival and did fucking that and then I went:" All right I better move to America to record my DVD " so I recorded my DVD in America:" Yeah that's fucking right", and now I want to be a movie star and you know what, I'm not a movie star and I want to kill myself. That's retarded I've gone further than a man of my looks or intellect should ever fucking go. At this fucking moment I'm in a sold out theatre in fucking west London, this would be a dream of mine as a child and do you know what I'm going to do tonight? Cry myself to sleep.

Because I was thought to dream.

But you never complete your dreams. You do complete them but then what you do, you put another one on and another one and then when you are about to die you're lying on the bed "my dream is to see my grand kids again" and they don't come and you fucking die. You're never going to complete all of them. No one has ever gone:"I've got no more dreams left, I'm fucking done."

So I'm not going to dream any more. Fuck that.

Strive for mediocrity is what he is saying. I bet Mike Rowe has a 13.1 sticker on his Prius.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I agree with Mike Rowe. Spend all your time following your "passion" in something you are actually quite mediocre at and you miss out on the opportunity to find your true talent. Dreams need to be tempered with realism, otherwise you end up with shitloads of people with advanced degrees who worked their asses off yet end up whining about only being able to find work in stuff they don't like.

The husband of my wife's best friend gave up a quite lucrative career in PR to follow his dream of being a remodeling contractor. He sank all his savings into the venture, worked long hours, really gave it his all. He is awful at it, and now 5 years later they are barely covering the mortgage.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    "Just because you’re passionate about something doesn’t mean you won’t suck at it."

It is nice you care about others so much to "let them in on" the wisdom of ages.

To try and quit is pure failure. To try, fail, and try again with the new perspective of what you learned from failure is the mark of intellect.

TONS of stupid people with no intellect or intelligence need to hear drivel like this guy. SO what? There are plenty of garbage men in this world......

What we need more of is people who follow passion and TAKE RISKS. Being a smart pussy is retarded.
    Do you have a substantial trust fund?

I don't know what moral or practical lesson to draw from this, but someone recently told me about an oncologist that only practices part time so that he can pursue his dream to be an actor.

I guess I thought that was pretty fucked up. I would be looking for another oncologist.

As far as pursuing my passion, I really like women...

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I don't know what moral or practical lesson to draw from this, but someone recently told me about an oncologist that only practices part time so that he can pursue his dream to be an actor.
    the practical lesson is that if you can get yourself into a job that pays well enough, you can do it part time and have enough money to pursue your passion.

I went to law school with an ER doc. In large cities, ER docs make very good money, because nobody wants to do the work. Spending your hard earned skills and limited time patching up gangbangers, fratboys, and streetpeoples doesn't seem to be the passion of anyone smart enough and hard working enough to to be a qualified emergency doc. It wasn't my classmate's passion either, but it paid for all his other passions. He liked to learn, he was good at school (obviously), so he added one shift a month to pay tuition and went to law school. He liked flying small planes, so he added one shift a month to pay for lessons. Once had his license, he added another shift to cover the payment on his plane. He had lots of passoins, and he pursued them all because he could afford to.

Seemed like a dam good model, to me.

Bertrand Russell covered the topic thoroughly:

http://russell-j.com/beginner/COH-TEXT.HTM

Another way to say it is, "Do what you love, and you'll never work a day in your life."

It's no guarantee of wealth, or "success"...but it might lead to pretty good mental health and happiness.

It's also not very common. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    the practical lesson is that if you can get yourself into a job that pays well enough, you can do it part time and have enough money to pursue your passion.

I went to law school with an ER doc. In large cities, ER docs make very good money, because nobody wants to do the work. Spending your hard earned skills and limited time patching up gangbangers, fratboys, and streetpeoples doesn't seem to be the passion of anyone smart enough and hard working enough to to be a qualified emergency doc....

Seemed like a dam good model, to me.
    Other than both being doctors, there's a huge difference in what ER doctors do vs. oncologists. To say the least, ER docs don't have a long term commitment to patients treatment, unlike oncologists.

I go the the ER, I get stabilized and treated and, if necessary, passed on to a specialist for long-term treatment. If I go to an oncologist, I'd like to have someone focused on my long-term treatment and well-being, not a shift-worker.