Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Weight loss (although not easy) can be as simple as the famous Michael Pollan quote: “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Type 1 diabetic here. All I have to add is that I take in about 20-30% less insulin when I change up my exercise vs. doing the same type of exercise. i.e. first time on skis/bike/swimming in a couple weeks. Meaning I become much more sensitive to insulin with new activities. This in theory should work for you type 2s or non-diabetics as well.
    Correct. The glucose receptors activated by glycogen-depleting exercise are not dependent on insulin for their activation. Note that this effect wears off after a few hours!

Treatment for Type 1s is different than that for Type 2s, though. As a Type 1 it's more important that your carbohydrate intake and speed of digestion be totally predictable, so you can cover it with the correct amount of insulin -- no more and no less -- than that it be absolutely minimized. (Of course this is usually easier with fewer carbohydrates.)

For a Type 2, OTOH, it's important to reduce both the amount of carbohydrate and the speed of its absorption ("glycemic index"). Some hints include:
    * Always eat carbs as part of a complete meal, never alone
    * Fat slows digestive transit and absorption, so don't try to eat "low-fat"
    * Use vinegar-based sauces or take a tbsp of vinegar after the meal

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21
    Weight loss (although not easy) can be as simple as the famous Michael Pollan quote: “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”
    You can shorten that to "Eat food" and achieve better results. If you're eating nutrient-rich animal foods instead of nutrient-poor grains, you can consume far fewer "calories" and still feel satisfied.

Paleo is the only diet that takes "Eat real foods, avoid processed foods" seriously. Other diets all add a bunch of silly exceptions: "except for red meat and eggs because cholesterol," and they give bread and beans a free pass because hearthealthywholegrains and cultural bias.

Bread is the original highly processed food. Wheat is both inedible and indigestible in its natural state, and requires extensive processing to become edible and sort-of-digestible...and many beans are, in addition to being indigestible, frankly poisonous when uncooked. (Six uncooked red beans will put you in the hospital.)

"Processed" in this context (bread = orig highly processed food) probably not the same as looking at a modern loaf of bread made from air and preservatives with a little tiny bit of wheat. I've had talks with people who obsess over what is/isn't processed and often their concept of "processed" reminds me of how people talk about "corporate" with broad strokes.

Regarding a shift apparently happening around 1980, the variables of individual human being daily living are pretty gigantic, and CDC's big repository status notwithstanding, I'm not sure any specific year in human recorded history is a fulcrum for Why Are We Fat in 2014. But I'm open to persuasion.

a friend of mine who is generally regarded as an arrogant asshole, he's a lawyer; has the best advice imo, "Stop Eating !". he believes that if you do not eat more than your BMR daily, you will lose over time.

I believe if you take up swimming at least 30 minutes a day, that's the best way as swimming works you aerobically and anaerobically at the same time; all over; but I don't have a lap pool; so I haven't tested it.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    Example: I've never been fat, and I've been irritatingly healthy since going Paleo -- but after a year of doing my best to gain muscle mass (and also gaining a bit of squish), I decided to lean out this summer. I've dropped over 25 pounds in a few months and now have the much-coveted "six pack". I've never counted calories or macros and didn't start: instead, I use techniques like maintaining a functional Paleo diet, intermittent fasting, fasted weight and cardio training, and (when I feel like it) separating high-carb and high-fat meals.

So yeah: keep counting if it works for you -- but once you get tired of counting calories, instead of letting yourself get fat again, consider some of these other techniques.
    Waitdaminute.

After ~3 years of being paleo and "irritatingly healthy", you finally decided to exercise more and restrict your calorie input (the whole point of I.M.- train the body to go longer without needing to refuel) and then lost 25 pounds.

But clearly there MUST be more to it than move more/eat less because you've done the science, right? Government conspiracy even.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

i can write a whole dissertation on this. I do that sort of stuff for a living (Ph.D. in molecular physiology specializing in muscle function, and obesity.

semantically speaking, dropping all carbs from your diet will cause you to lose weight. it is why atkins is successful, but its terrible for you in the long run.

you need carbs, like you need lipids and protein. its about moderation and balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post

The graph is from my 2012 AHS presentati
    The remote control came into existence. Used to have to get up and change the channel prior to 1980.

Dieting is simple. Eat less, exercise more. My dog eats only meat--won't eat carbs--will lick butter off bread but will not eat the bread it came on. The ultimate no carb guy. He still gets fat if we feed him too much table food.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Waitdaminute.

After ~3 years of being paleo and "irritatingly healthy",
    Irritatingly paleo.

It's a syndrome in it's own right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I don't know shit about diabetes but I do know alot about road cycling.

My advice would be to not listen too much to other people, other people are trying to sell you something, low carbs, no carbs, all carbs, etc etc. Weight loss/diet persons have become in part religious zealots.

Your body however doesn't give two fucks about any of that shit, weight loss is thermodynamics and that shit don't change from person to person. Lets say you cycle 25mi 5 times a week at 20mi, basically flat that's approx 200 watts depending on weight and rider position. Learn what that means for you body both in terms of fueling and weight loss. I know what calories I need to hit daily on that schedule and I can confirm that via the scale over a number of samples and tweak my eating accordingly. After awhile you can feel when your riding the ups and downs of your blood sugar, I know the moment I start flagging a bit because I missed my eating schedule by 15mins. If I'm super cranky when I get in the car gotta eat something, listen to your body it will tell you what you need to know. A bunch of the zealots are gonna bitch but you can eat total dog shit foods and still lose weight because thermodynamics doesn't give a fuck about what the source is, energy in/energy out though certain foods can make that easier or more difficult.

Big events, 65mi plus or shit tons of climbing is a free for all, last century I ate two tacos, half a pineapple, 6 stroopwaffles, 3 oreos and 2 sodas and the next week I was down a full pound. To cycle effectively over time you gotta keep that blood sugar up by any means necessary if not your gonna know it pretty quickly.

Figure out what works for your body and ignore what people trying to sell you on shit are saying, confer with your doctor as to what that means for your diabetes. Pay attention to your body and learn the signals and you'll be a lean son of a bitch in no time if your willing to work for it. From May to Sept I went from 190 19% bf to 173 9% bf eating whatever the fuck I wanted, thermodynamics is not open for discussion, it's a physical reality.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

IME MD's do give dietary advice to Diabetics by sending them to seminars where they tell us to eat less food/less carbs/less sugar/more protein & fat and lose weight but if you don't know shit about diabetes why are you posting about your obviously poor diet in a thread on Diabetes, especially when you are telling us you are an athelete who can't control their diet or their weight and you live in a country where 15-20% of adults are obese ?

If you happen to be young ... good luck with that when you get old
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

If only I knew how to embed... Southpark Season 18, episode 2 - Gluten Free Ebola basically sums everything up.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    IME MD's do give dietary advice to Diabetics by sending them to seminars where they tell us to eat less food/less carbs/less sugar/more protein & fat and lose weight but if you don't know shit about diabetes why are you posting about your obviously poor diet in a thread on Diabetes, especially when you are telling us you are an athelete who can't control their diet or their weight and you live in a country where 15-20% of adults are obese ?

If you happen to be young ... good luck with that when you get old
    I'm not following you, I'm saying listen to your body it will tell you what you need to know and it's 100% objective. I'm literally saying don't listen to me or anyone else over what your own body is telling you.

My personal stuff isn't relevant, I'm not saying he should eat shit food or do what I do I'm saying cycling if you do it alot is a real good way to lose weight and there is ample evidence all over the place to back that up, something I have observed personally.

Maybe he should eat less food or less carbs or maybe more food what I'm saying is his body is going to tell him and that is a far better way to figure out whats going on than asking the internet where lots of people want to sell you some shit about paleo or whatever.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Quote Originally Posted by ArmadaBC View Post
    where lots of people want to sell you some shit about paleo or whatever.
    ....their prehistoric womble novels
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    I believe if you take up swimming at least 30 minutes a day, that's the best way as swimming works you aerobically and anaerobically at the same time; all over
    The way most people go "swim laps" there's no way they're getting much of an anaerobic component to their workout. Swimming anaerobically means short swims at maximum intensity with lots of rest between reps. Swim teams do this, lap swimmers do not--as a rule.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmadaBC View Post
    I'm not following you, I'm saying listen to your body it will tell you what you need to know and it's 100% objective. I'm literally saying don't listen to me or anyone else over what your own body is telling you.

My personal stuff isn't relevant, I'm not saying he should eat shit food or do what I do I'm saying cycling if you do it alot is a real good way to lose weight and there is ample evidence all over the place to back that up, something I have observed personally.

Maybe he should eat less food or less carbs or maybe more food what I'm saying is his body is going to tell him and that is a far better way to figure out whats going on than asking the internet where lots of people want to sell you some shit about paleo or whatever.
    Yer talking all over the place but what we are talking about specifically in this thread is diabetes because almost 20% of America is obese, most of those people would have developed type II diabetes as a result of eating much the way you do and so you want them to listen to their bodies... and cycle ?

Yer talking all over the place but what we are talking about specifically in this thread is diabetes because almost 20% of America is obese, most of those people would have developed type II diabetes as a result of eating much the way you do and so you want them to listen to their bodies... and cycle ?
    Maybe cavemen didn't develop diabetes as much because they died at 35 years of age generally? Also, are we sure cavemen fried their food? Other than some unintended frying by way of animal fat attached to something they had on a stick over a fire?

What's wrong with ArmadaBC's take? Seems like he's saying listen to your body and do what works for you...go ahead and subscribe to paleo if that works for you...or don't...but there does seem to be a religious fervor with paleo that makes me question it's validity.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    What's wrong with ArmadaBC's take? Seems like he's saying listen to your body and do what works for you...go ahead and subscribe to paleo if that works for you...or don't...but there does seem to be a religious fervor with paleo that makes me question it's validity.
    Do not question Sarah Paleo!!! You liberal fascist bread eating scum.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."
    Ever had beer? Or Bourbon? or.....

I probably have 5-10 drinks a week on average. I'm not fat, but when I cut out alcohol I loose 10 pounds in about 6 week with no other changes in exercise or diet. I look great. Not worth it.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    (You can thank Kate Moss, Lord knows it worked for her...)
    that was cocaine, champagne and cigarettes. hell of a lot more fucking fun than thinspirating in your mirror.

On a more serious not, people training seriously for endurance sports need way more carbs than everyone else. They have completely different needs than normal folk.

"Look good naked...look good naked..."

Shit, I need a beer.
    Living vicariously through myself.

"I just listen to my body man, I don't know why my BMI is so high and I have type II?"

--------

I tried going Paleo for a little while, but didn't really see any benefits.

FWIW - I pretty much eat whatever the hell I want like ArmadaBC does based on what I am doing. I just try to not eat a shit ton of it and skew my diet towards veggies, fruit and nuts as much as possible, more proteins for long days. I still eat a PB and J on whole wheat or lunch every day though. I think most people would benefit from eating a more balanced diet, and smaller portions, but diabetes changes the game a bit I imagine.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Maybe cavemen didn't develop diabetes as much because they died at 35 years of age generally? Also, are we sure cavemen fried their food? Other than some unintended frying by way of animal fat attached to something they had on a stick over a fire?

Well 50 million obese americans would indicate that at least 50million either wana be obese or are not listening ?
    edit:more like 35% of adult americans so 110 million

Buddy starts a road season 17lbs overweight and would be a good example of what is wrong with americas eating habits, yeah sure he lost the lbs but how much better could he have rode if he showed up match fit, what if he gets injured and couldn't ride off those lbs, is this program gona work when he gets old, how many athletes have you seen go to seed and isn't that usually from packing on the lbs?

you don't need to go strict paleo,you don't need to stop eating all carbs,beer, wine yadayada BUT you might wana control your weight?

I'm gona go get a drink

Spats, what was that about the vinegar? Haven't noticed you mention that before.

I only read the first post I thought he was saying he cycles, has diabetes and wants to lose weight. Cycling means eating lots of carbs thus my response that you can indeed lose lots of weight eating carbs and cycling.

If this is diabetes only than I'm a dumb ass though that's probably true regardless.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums