using cold water fly line in tropics?

Going to Hawaii (Maui) in a week and want to bring along my 8 weight pole This is not a fishing vacation. I just want to fish a bit with any free time not doing the tourist thing. Went to the local shop today to pick up a few bonefish flies and they told me using my cold water line there would be a bad idea. Is this true? I'd rather not buy some $70 tropical line for maybe a couple hours of fishing.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

It'll be fine. I lost a whole line to a bonefish in Hawaii, walked back to the car, put on the spare, (444), and landed one.
    The main difference at the time was the SI saltwater taper cast better/further/easier. Hawaii's water isn't that hot anyway.
    I use saltwater line for steelhead sometimes. No biggee.
    On a somewhat related note, the new Rio outbound whatever is the same line but labelled for cold or tropic
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Bring a sink-tip too and some clousers and deceivers. The locals have netted the inshore fisheries TO DEATH here in the last 40 years, but go wave it around anyway. You can't catch anything if you don't wet a line.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    It'll be fine. I lost a whole line to a bonefish in Hawaii, walked back to the car, put on the spare, (444), and landed one.
    The main difference at the time was the SI saltwater taper cast better/further/easier. Hawaii's water isn't that hot anyway.
    I use saltwater line for steelhead sometimes. No biggee.
    On a somewhat related note, the new Rio outbound whatever is the same line but labelled for cold or tropic
    Couple Points here:
    The RIO Outbound Short COLD Saltwater and Freshwater are the same. The Tropical has a completely different coating and core.

If wading you might be ok, but if in hot sun or warm water a coldwater line will get gummy and won't shoot well at all. I would pick up a Mianstream Saltwater line for $40 and give yourself a better shot without having to go all in.

^^^agree. I figure the dude's in Maui, wading around while the SO shops/spas/etc. It was almost like a bump until you answered with the technical...

So ive managed to catch a couple of trumpet fish so far. I think those things win the award for the least fightingest fish ever. Its like catching a retarded snake.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

They're a pain to get the hook out of the small ones too. They also stare at you weird.