Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

14/15 Aspen Snowmass RFV Thread

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I'm hearing this conversation is still ongoing, and may determine when other lift projects will occur.
    Something was going on yesterday.
    Bunch of the bigwigs were powwowing at the base of 1A.

Fyi: groomers were good early, but none of the steeps were soft B4 noon with the time change.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Something was going on yesterday.
    Bunch of the bigwigs were powwowing at the base of 1A.

Fyi: groomers were good early, but none of the steeps were soft B4 noon with the time change.
    The timing after daylight savings makes me want to ski from noon to six... instead of from 8 - 2... unless there is new snow of course

I think this FIS thing has been a real monkey wrench in their planning.... I can't imagine having to figure out what sort of $$ to put in to an area where you have no clue what future development may entail by 3rd parties.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I think this FIS thing has been a real monkey wrench in their planning.... I can't imagine having to figure out what sort of $$ to put in to an area where you have no clue what future development may entail by 3rd parties.
    Yes, I agree, especially with the city council wild card.

I really like it the way it is, but realize that it will eventually be developed. Personally, I'd rather see a nice hotel than a bunch of townhomes. Either way, I'll be looking at a construction zone for five years.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    First time at Aspen this Saturday, forecast is saying mid 40's, what gets soft first? Best to start at Snowmass and then go over to Highlands? Figure Highland bowl be soft early after noon?

Thinking about a quick visit next week to use up my Mountain Collective pass.

Quick questions for you Roaring MotherForkers:

Anywhere in the area I can park my popup truck overnight and not get harassed by the PoPo? Alternately, is anyone willing to let me park in their driveway? Anyone interested in meeting up for beers and/or turns?

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Best to start at Snowmass and then go over to Highlands? Figure Highland bowl be soft early after noon?
    Just one day? Snowmass groomers up high would be good early, but personally, I rarely go there.

I'd ski Aspen Mt. and Highlands.
    Aspen grooms Copper, Spar and Ruthies everyday. Park at the base of 1A early. 8:45 and rip Ruthies first.
    1A liftline or Corkscrew are north facing and hadn't been totally baked as of Monday.

Then you can drive to Highlands and parking is free after noon.
    Hit the bowl right away and end the day with No Name to Upper Stein to Powder Bowl. Little bit of traversing and skating, but it's full sun all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post

Anywhere in the area I can park my popup truck overnight and not get harassed by the PoPo?
    I'd probably just try a residental area in the west end and be descreet or maybe up Hwy 82 toward the pass. I ride my bike up the pass early and see people parked at North Star Preserve frequently.
    I'm out of town till the 25th or I love to have a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    First time at Aspen this Saturday, forecast is saying mid 40's, what gets soft first? Best to start at Snowmass and then go over to Highlands? Figure Highland bowl be soft early after noon?
    Start on walshs kristis or hyrups and pay attention to micro aspect.... If still crunchy the dumps are similar aspect but lower
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

It's like anywhere else... the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Follow it around and ski runs as they soften up.

I'm moving across town this weekend so not much skiing or beer in the cards for me... had to bail on the Battle in the Bowls, pretty bummed. I have no idea why they are doing it so much earlier this year.

My extremely hot niece is having a bachlorette party at Cloud Nine today.

It would definitely be worth stopping in later this afternoon.

I skied at Aspen Mtn today (Sunday) and had a good day following the sun on the upper mtn. Snow did not really start softening much until after 11 AM.
    Looking over at Highlands Bowl from the Sundeck, and wondering what is happening at Highlands? It looked like a big slide on the Y zones in the bowl. Were the Bowl runs and Temerity runs open? How recent was that slide?
    I was told at Aspen Mtn Spar Gulch and Copper had been closed for control work last week and it looked like a slide had come down in Bingo glades?

Yeah that was all happening 1.5-2 weeks ago, we had a few nights in a row where it didn't get below freezing plus a rain event so our pack went isothermal and wet slides were a huge problem. There were a few days where most expert terrain was closed but things are back to normal now. Patrol handled it all very well.

Here's a video of the Bingo slide on Ajax: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...230251&fref=nf

Any idea how coverage/conditions will be around the Aspen BC toward the end April?

I'm contemplating a trip since Tahoe is now barren and have to pull the trigger soon. My plan would be to split my time between Frisco and Aspen, doing long daytrips from either base. In Aspen, I'd be looking at tours like the Castle/Conundrum combo and Mt. Sopris. But if the conditions are likely to suck, I might just plan a trip to Moab or something.

Thanks in advance.

^^^ Coverage and conditions around Aspen are pretty darn good right now.
    If you tell me what the weather and temps are going to be like for the next month and I'll take a guess at what the conditions will be like end of April.

I obviously have no idea what coverage and conditions will be like but you'll be able to ski something in the backcountry at the end of April for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    ^^^ Coverage and conditions around Aspen are pretty darn good right now.
    If you tell me what the weather and temps are going to be like for the next month and I'll take a guess at what the conditions will be like end of April.
    Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    I obviously have no idea what coverage and conditions will be like but you'll be able to ski something in the backcountry at the end of April for sure.
    Thanks. I totally get the vagaries of weather and what not. So I guess my concern is coverage. If someone asked me the same question about the Eastern Sierra, I confidently could tell them that late April is going to suck given the complete lack of snowfall.

Anyone want to ski a spring line this Saturday? I was thinking sunshine/shimer or sopris.

Quote Originally Posted by dabaier View Post
    Anyone want to ski a spring line this Saturday? I was thinking sunshine/shimer or sopris.
    I just left, but I was up west Sopris early Wednesday and it looked really good.

I skied Sopris on Friday and it was in really good shape. Not sure I can get out for a full day again until next week. Have fun
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Thanks for the information. I was thinking Thomas Lakes Bowl. If you took that route was there snow from the TH and how long did it take you?

Thanks for the information. I was thinking Thomas Lakes Bowl. If you took that route was there snow from the TH and how long did it take you?
    That's what we skied... B/c of how warm it got we went up the summer route. Probably 5.5 ish hours

We had to park below the summer trail head and there were a couple of small bare spots.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Toured around Chair Mountain off McClure Pass on Saturday/Sunday. Lots of sun and good coverage up high (10-12k), but not too much corn to be skied. Fun terrain and nice touring options. Looking to get up Sopris and Hayden before total meltdown.

Thanks. We ended up doing the same in around the same amount of time. Spotty coverage in the trail in a few spots but skied most the way down.

SAVE 1A Party today!

1pm bottom of Norway.
    Beer, brats, babes.

Coverage is good. Probably about as good as Tahoe, but better than the eastside. Its getting very warm the next week. High north was good today. Lower was transitioning south faces already have.
    yesterday outside highlands bowl. i'm guessing this has a name

The bells at about 10 in the morn. On the way out most everything in the bell cord are had douched itself

North facing paths on Pyramid
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5485e.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	320.4 KB 
ID:	179775  
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Nice shots!!

You should have posted up prior. I could have dragged you up for some sled runs, before it got baked.
    Last few days have been full blown, off the hook spring skiing.