Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2014 Technica Cochise Boot line

Time for a new thread, the boots have changed this year.

I have a couple of questions. I have destroyed my 120's sled skiing so time for a new pair. I like what I am reading about 10% lighter and 8 degrees more articulation when touring. My questions are does the 120 have the same new lighter (and more durable) plastic and the increased range of motion that the 130 has?

Shop was telling me so last night. Apparently the only difference in the lower is the 98mm width which is obtained by just making the lower thicker plastic.

I ski hard but I am only 165 lbs and the older 120's were fine for me before.

http://www.tecnicausa.com/product-de...lor_number=GRN
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Backcountry answered my questions - http://www.backcountry.com/tecnica-c...C000C-YEL-S255

I've got a pair of 26.5 with only twenty days if your interested.

Perfect size. I have new liners from last year. PM me price please.

Message sent

All the new Cochise boots get the same amount of additional rearward cuff mobility. 130 is still lower volume than 120-100.

130 and 120 get the new Triax
    110,100,90 use the same Triax as before

Fit is much improved. New boot has a lot more anatomical shape than the old one. Old one was kind of bullet shaped with a pretty narrow end to the toe box and not a lot of predefined shape. New shell has a much more anatomical toe box, tighter on the medial wall, pre punched navicular, and a much more defined heal pocket. It also wraps a little better over the instep. Won't fit everyone's feet but they're definitely better. They ski a little better too due to a better overall fit.

Can the 2014 Cochise 120 be modified to work in the beast?

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheeler View Post
    Can the 2014 Cochise 120 be modified to work in the beast?
    Yes.

Still on the fence on selling my old original 120s and getting a pair of the new ones. Old ones fit my foot well, except while skinning I get blisters on my inside heals. How much tighter is the heal pocket on the new ones? I'm really tired of blisters every year. Also, I've read that the new 120s have a lower instep? How much lower. I have a massive instep that fits pretty well in the old 120s.

I don't think those areas changed much. Heel seems the same, instep is a tad bit lower. The toebox changed quite a bit. If the old one fit your foot, the new one should also.

Anybody ski both the pro light and the regular 120s? Any big differences in performance?
    I'm considering getting rid of my old pro lights and replace them with 120s. I like my pro lights and have used them inbounds and for touring (70/30) for two seasons. The one thing that bothers me though is that I'm having trouble getting a good fit around my thin calves. Hopefully the buckle on the 120s will help with that. With the new lighter shell I guess the difference between new 120s and old pro lights shouldn't be to big either?

I'm fairly certain Tecnica will sell you the strap from the 120 if you want to avoid having to buy new shells. You could also try a liner that's high volume in the calf and low/whatever you need volume in the foot.

A booster strap might help too, but it's narrower the the tecnica strap thing. So probably not ideal, but if you have one laying around it may be able to give you an idea of whether or not that strap would fix your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Anybody ski both the pro light and the regular 120s? Any big differences in performance?
    I'm considering getting rid of my old pro lights and replace them with 120s. I like my pro lights and have used them inbounds and for touring (70/30) for two seasons. The one thing that bothers me though is that I'm having trouble getting a good fit around my thin calves. Hopefully the buckle on the 120s will help with that. With the new lighter shell I guess the difference between new 120s and old pro lights shouldn't be to big either?
    The liner on the Pro Light is pretty thin up top, and the buckled powerstrap definitely makes a big difference - you can really crank it. I think you'd notice a pretty big improvement in both calf fit and stiffness. You could also get an intuition or other liner and order the buckled powerstrap separately to modify your existing pro lights.

Are people still sizing down in the new models? I tried the 110 last year for a month and they were too big in my normal 26.5. Do I go with 25.5 if I order 120s this year?

Been wearing mine around the house and I can definitely notice the lower instep. A bit painful after a bit actually, only when cranked tight though. Hard to say on the 8 degrees more articulation but they do feel lighter.

Heel fit is better for my skinny ankles. Loving the new colors this year. The green pops.

Quote Originally Posted by bern43 View Post
    Still on the fence on selling my old original 120s and getting a pair of the new ones. Old ones fit my foot well, except while skinning I get blisters on my inside heals. How much tighter is the heal pocket on the new ones? I'm really tired of blisters every year. Also, I've read that the new 120s have a lower instep? How much lower. I have a massive instep that fits pretty well in the old 120s.
    The ankle and heel hold is improved... even after breaking them in (20+ days). At least in my 130's. I have a massive instep too and while it's tighter, it's not a problem - I'd say it actually fits a little better since I don't really need to buckle down the lower foot as much as the old ones.

Not that the orange isn't kind of sweet. But I would LOVE it if the 130 came in that hazard yellow color...
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

i've got a sweet pair of the pro lights in a size 29.5 from last year for sale if anyone is interested........

Quote Originally Posted by cooks View Post
    I'm fairly certain Tecnica will sell you the strap from the 120 if you want to avoid having to buy new shells. You could also try a liner that's high volume in the calf and low/whatever you need volume in the foot.
    A booster strap might help too, but it's narrower the the tecnica strap thing. So probably not ideal, but if you have one laying around it may be able to give you an idea of whether or not that strap would fix your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    The liner on the Pro Light is pretty thin up top, and the buckled powerstrap definitely makes a big difference - you can really crank it. I think you'd notice a pretty big improvement in both calf fit and stiffness. You could also get an intuition or other liner and order the buckled powerstrap separately to modify your existing pro lights.
    Thanks. At a local store they said that it was "difficult" to order powerstraps seperately. I'll send Tecnica a mail and hear what they have to say. I'm going to check out the new shells anyhow so the original question still stands: does the pro lights and 120s ski differently (if you put the same liner and same powerstrap on them)?

I haven't skied the pro lights (only got to play with the liners), but I'd wager yes. The weights end up being pretty similar too. I'd be surprised if there was a noticeable difference. However, I do think the new 2014 shell skis a bit better than the old shell.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I haven't skied the pro lights (only got to play with the liners), but I'd wager yes. The weights end up being pretty similar too. I'd be surprised if there was a noticeable difference. However, I do think the new 2014 shell skis a bit better than the old shell.
    Ok, thanks. Will report back if/when I get in a pair of new cochises.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Not that the orange isn't kind of sweet. But I would LOVE it if the 130 came in that hazard yellow color...
    Dood! Just get the red ones...
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Only reason I went with 120's.

Is there a noticeable difference in fit quality by stepping down to the 98 mm last on the 130s? Shop I tried them on in only had 120s and there was quite a bit of space in the ankle/instep area. Wondering if the 130s are going to be tighter in this area or only in the toes?

2014 Technica Cochise Boot line

Couldn't fit my feet in the 130s, and my 120s fit well. So yeah, noticeable difference in that area. The difference did seem to be mostly liner though - pretty sure my 120s liner in the 130 made it work. Sold my 130s though, so I can't double check.