Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Anyone have the scoop on the 14/15 K2 Pinnacle 130 LV's and how they compare to the Cochise 130's? Fit? Construction? Specs? Looking at these 2 boots for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by ready2tumble View Post
    Looks like the 98-shaped Women's boot is the COCHISE PRO W, which is advertised as 105-flex. Promising! Do you know if it will be the same shell as the men's, or is it going to have a short cuff? I'm just skinny, not short.

Same exact shell.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    So how can a 25.5 be the right fit when my street shoe size is 9.5? Are ski boot sizes that fucked up?
    Allot of people just ski boots that are too big, my feet measure a solid 26.75. But with a foot bed a 25 Cochise seems to be money.

OK anyone know the oven temp/time to heat mold the stock liners?

Just ski that shit, unless it is the pro light, in which case, 10 min on some heat stacks wouldn't hurt.

I'm really surprised about all the hype spilled over the Cochise. It might be a reasonably boot for touring and a little bit freeriding in not demanding conditions but it doesn't come even close to the skiing performance of my Nordica Patron Pro. All the talk about Cochise being the one and only boot for everything is IMO bullshit. I’m almost regretting having bought the Cochise and not a dedicated touring boot since I’m pretty sure now that there is no way yet to replace a good alpine boot by a AT hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    I'm really surprised about all the hype spilled over the Cochise. It might be a reasonably boot for touring and a little bit freeriding in not demanding conditions but it doesn't come even close to the skiing performance of my Nordica Patron Pro. All the talk about Cochise being the one and only boot for everything is IMO bullshit. I’m almost regretting having bought the Cochise and not a dedicated touring boot since I’m pretty sure now that there is no way yet to replace a good alpine boot by a AT hybrid.
    All the hype is opinion based. Not really fair to call an opinion "bullshit" because it's just based on the opinion holder's experience. Many people here who I respect think that both boots and skis should be kept for separate purposes and using touring gear in bounds and vise versa doesn't work for them. Sounds like you're in that camp. I haven't skied the patron pro, so I can't comment on that boot. For me and my home mountain, which has a lot of sidecountry, the cochise/cast combination is a dream come true. Once in bounds is thrashed, short hikes are just there for the taking, and I get to skin with a walk mode and I didn't have to pay for the boot mod. Cranked down in the 130s with an HD race liner, I'm tossing 191 billy goats around in big unforgiving bumps -- which I could not have done in the 120s...those have become a dedicated touring boot for now...

Defending my own experience. Park your hostility. It's cool for us to disagree.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    All the hype is opinion based. Not really fair to call an opinion "bullshit" because it's just based on the opinion holder's experience. Many people here who I respect think that both boots and skis should be kept for separate purposes and using touring gear in bounds and vise versa doesn't work for them. Sounds like you're in that camp. I haven't skied the patron pro, so I can't comment on that boot. For me and my home mountain, which has a lot of sidecountry, the cochise/cast combination is a dream come true. Once in bounds is thrashed, short hikes are just there for the taking, and I get to skin with a walk mode and I didn't have to pay for the boot mod. Cranked down in the 130s with an HD race liner, I'm tossing 191 billy goats around in big unforgiving bumps -- which I could not have done in the 120s...those have become a dedicated touring boot for now...

Defending my own experience. Park your hostility. It's cool for us to disagree.
    Well said.

I don't think the Cochise 130 is the best boot on the planet either, but it's a damn nice boot. I also agree that Patron Pro is an excellent boot and I spent a good chunk of last year on it.

I've never been able to replace a four buckle race boot and I don't expect the Cochise to do that. However, there is some serious merit to having a boot with a walk mode that can drive a bigger ski reasonably well. And I get it roQer, it's annoying when Jerry Gaper reviews something like the Cochise and says it has all the capabilities of a plug but that's not what's going on here.

Having owned both the fit on the 14/15 model is vastly improved and I think people are pretty psyched about it for good reason.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

Keep in mind that it still comes down to the fit. If they aren't a good natural fit for your foot / leg (or close to it with some shop work) then they're not going to perform well. I haven't once thought to myself they were lacking and it's too bad I don't have a regular DH boot. For those of us who ski in places where hiking is common, they're pretty great.

Maybe I missed it in here but is anyone skiing the boot without the red sole insert?

I need some space in my right boot so I took it out and tried it on that way but haven't skied it. Seems like it might feel a little harsh without it given how the rest of the boot board sets up??
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

It may not be a race boot, but I don't need a race boot. The Cochise does everything I want it to do and skis well enough for me - it fits well and is stiff enough. Is it ultra stiff? No, but I don't like ultra stiff boots. I'd have no qualms wearing it at a freeride comp in hardpack conditions. Others would say 'no way' unless they were in a 150 plug boot. Just my opinion. And I don't think anyone compared it to a race boot, to begin with.

I can assume that the BSL remains the same regardless of which soles are on the boot, correct?

2014 Technica Cochise Boot line

Quote Originally Posted by Smails View Post
    Maybe I missed it in here but is anyone skiing the boot without the red sole insert?

I need some space in my right boot so I took it out and tried it on that way but haven't skied it. Seems like it might feel a little harsh without it given how the rest of the boot board sets up??
    I have only skied 6 mellow runs so far but I took out the red sole inserts in mine. I have very high insteps and no way could I get my foot in the boot with the stock liners with those in the boot. I read that they could be removed on the earnyourturns blog. He says the addition of the red insoles was part of the fit change in this year's model compared to last year, and that removing them would restore the instep height of the previous model.
    Last edited by WMD; 01-07-2015 at 02:53 PM.

As a big guy, I have held out on getting any sort of 'lighter' ski boot but just got hold of a pair of the current Cochise Pro Light. My everyday boot is a no-nonsense Demon 130 at 100mm last. I figured that if I'm going to take the plunge might as well go with a brand that I know will fit (at 100mm last) and go for the lightest model (since saving weight is the reason I'm getting them).

After getting a footbed and also heat molding the liner...at 120 flex and being a 3 buckle boot with a plane strap as the cuff cinch, they still felt super flexible up top. Therefore, I bolted on a booster strap to add some extra upper cuff retention. Just got them back yesterday and have yet to ski them but I'll definitely share my thoughts. I will mainly use these in the late Spring and Summer missions in the Sierra with Guardians.

2014 Technica Cochise Boot line

^^^ Toss your demon liner in there. That liner is pretty poor, imo, and totally kills the flex. Granted you may not tour with it that way, but curious on your thoughts. I thought the upper flex was pretty bad with the light liners, also. Intuition ProTour was a significant upgrade while preserving the touring capabilities. I crank the upper 2 buckles pretty hard though.

Anybody running extra spoilage on their Cochises? Where did you source the spoiler? The rear of the liner has a patch of velcro for a spoiler but my 120s didn't come with anything extra besides the red sole shims. Google search makes it sound like some of the older versions shipped with a velcro spoiler. I have chicken legs and need to take up some space in the upper cuff.

Quote Originally Posted by XLBar View Post
    Anybody running extra spoilage on their Cochises? Where did you source the spoiler? The rear of the liner has a patch of velcro for a spoiler but my 120s didn't come with anything extra besides the red sole shims. Google search makes it sound like some of the older versions shipped with a velcro spoiler. I have chicken legs and need to take up some space in the upper cuff.
    I am, just to get a little extra forward lean. I'm using the spoilers that came with the original (2012) liners / boots. You might be able to find some from a ski shop.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 01-26-2015 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks TahoeJ. Do you have a pic of these infamous spoilers?

http://www.evo.com/assets/features/t...%20spoiler.jpg

Not sure how to insert an image. When I lost my original spoilers, the ski shop gave me a pair they had lying around. I didn't need them with the stock liner, but when I switched to intuition liners, they helped.

Go to a shop and ask for some Lange spoilers form an RS/RX or some from a Fischer race boot. Most shops pull a lot of those out of boots and those two are probably the thickest and tallest. If you live near a Surefoot there's a good chance they'll have some of the Langes.

Anyone skied both the 120 and pro 130 from 2015. Do you actually notice the increased stiffness in the 130? I'm sure you notice the smaller last...
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Another sizing question.

I just spent an hour trying on both the 110 and 120 in both 27.5 and 28.5. The flex difference between the two is so little that I'd happily ski either, and while the 120 liner might be a little better (or is it?), I'd be using Intuition Dreamliners anyway, so a moot point.

The issue is the size. I thought that the 330 bsl for the 28.5 sounded massive, and it is a big 28.5 in fact. The 27.5 leaves me with a good finger (1/2 inch or so) in a shell fit, and while my big toe was poking well into the liner, it didn't feel cramped.

I'd be using these boots for about 20% touring, the rest being rope tows, boot packing, ridge hiking, general futzing about, and skiing reasonably fast in variable snow.

What's the opinion of those of you who ski these boots - and have toured in them; would I have enough room to not lose my toenails? My guess is yes, especially with a good Intuition toecap bake, and possibly a small punch.

Damn, they flex good! Possible the nicest boot I've been in.

Edit: My only other boots are Maestrale 28.5. I love them, but have grudgingly come to realise that I could do with a bit more beef in NZ conditions.
    Last edited by Island Bay; 08-20-2015 at 08:53 PM.

^^ Generally speaking, people tend to size down on these boots. Maybe just do a double toe cap on the intuitions to be safe.

Get the 27.5. No question.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    What's the opinion of those of you who ski these boots - and have toured in them; would I have enough room to not lose my toenails? My guess is yes, especially with a good Intuition toecap bake, and possibly a small punch.
    That should be plenty of length, assuming you have a decent fit around the ankle and over the instep, and a footbed to help lock your foot in place. And you don't try to unbuckle the instep buckle to skin, and you aren't a habitual back seat hucker/dweller. And you trim your toenails regularly.

If one or more of the above isn't true, you can be in a two+ finger fit and still slam the end of the boot.