Thread: Google Wallet

Google Wallet

So I am wondering why this isn't being more widely used. If it is setup to a debit card or direct to a checking account there are no fees associated with transfers. https://support.google.com/wallet/answer/3122600
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

I was wondering about this. I was in line at the D&D drive thru and the lady in front of me stuck her phone out the window and the lady taking the money scanned her phone, was she using Google Wallet?
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Seems like a great end run around Paypal if you trust the other person.

For buying a burger at McD's?

a) not any easier than removing a card/cash from my wallet, which i carry anyways
    b) My card numbers get stolen often enough, why create another opportunity to get hacked?

My gmail account name and password was in a huge list of hacked accounts last month, doesn't seem worth it to link my bank account.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Ya I think so. I use a similar app for gas at Cumberland Farms, they knock off 10¢ per gal for using it and then u can shop inside with a bar code. Although I think wallet is done by NFC touch and pay but you can send and receive money right through gmail or the app on your droid. Better than the fees PayPal charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    I was wondering about this. I was in line at the D&D drive thru and the lady in front of me stuck her phone out the window and the lady taking the money scanned her phone, was she using Google Wallet?
    This was likely some coupon if it was scanned. The Google wallet, ISIS Wallet (or whatever the fuck VZ changed it to due to terrorists), and now Apple Pay all work via NFC. Touch device to the "swiper" enter PIN...done.

Buddy of mine was a very early adopter of ISIS Wallet. The companies that jumpmed on board offering it as a payment option offered huge savings for those early adopters willing to use it. like $1 burritos at Barbicoa, sign up for a wells fargo card and attach it to ISIS and you got like 15% back on every purchase. Most of the time it was like getting free money for him, but ive also never met a more frugal person in my life..so..

Personally im not totally convinced its safe. I dont know just something about tying my bank or CC info to my phone...??? I believe now that the almighty Apple has FINALLY JUMPED ON BOARD WITH NFC (android has had this like since DAY ONE), that the sheeple that follow them like zombies, and start using Apple Pay en masse. This will get people more comfortable with it and the android users will start using it, more companies will start accepting it...etc etc. Apples always been good at marketing, especially marketing old ideas they didn't come up with in the first place. Pretty sure peeps in Japanzzzzz have been using phones to pay for shit for a while now..

So I just downloaded and installed Google Wallet and it already had my CC info. It may have received the info from purchases made through the Google Play store.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

So I just downloaded and installed Google Wallet and it already had my CC info. It may have received the info from purchases made through the Google Play store.
    VERY likely. Play store, etc. You'd have had to enter a CC if you were using "Softcard" (just another, likely more widespread, NFC payment system), mostly used by Verizon. wonder how thats going to work out with Verizon iPhones? Hmmm... Anyway, like I said, softcard is likely much more widely available at retailers (ive seen it a lot lately), over Google Wallet. I think Google wallet kinda got crushed when the cellular providers decided they had a better way to do thing

You'll see if get more and more used very soon, again IMHO due to friggin APPL

They are definitely linked to play. I was thinking more in the terms of using it for purchasing for items on TGR and the like. Since eBay and PayPal have split I wonder if there will be different pay options

Is google wallet legit to buy and sell with random people on the internet? I just sold a parachute on another forum to a guy in Europe. The buyer said he was having issues with paypal for days and I was inclined to give him a few days to deal with it, but once I said lets forget about it I will just sell it in the USA he paid me with google wallet without asking if that was an OK form of payment. I didn't even know what google wallet was until this moment, but when I installed the app and signed in with my email it says the money is waiting for me unclaimed.

Is there anything I am missing here? Should I refund it by not claiming it and walk away? Is there some google wallet scam I dont know about? Or is this just another way people pay eachother these days and I shouldn't worry about it? Does it have buyer and seller protections like paypal? I know paypal claims are shitty for sellers anyway, but its better than nothing

I was in line at the D&D drive thru and the lady in front of me stuck her phone out the window and the lady taking the money scanned her phone, was she using Google Wallet?
    I hear this is the latest lesbian hook-up trend.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I have it setup on my phone and use it for lunch at whole foods a couple of times a month. But that's about it. It seems like very few people I know use it so p2p transactions are out. Then the nfc credit card terminals are pretty spendy so very few of the merchants I do business with use it. Just today I bought a t shirt and after I swiped my amex I realized that the cc reader was nfc enabled. I'd have used my phone just for the novelty of it had I known. But that's just it, right now it's just a novelty. I'm an unabashed Google fanboi so I'm cool with being am early adopter but I have high hopes that lots of other folks will get on board soon because I love the convenience of just using my phone to pay for things.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    Is there anything I am missing here? Should I refund it by not claiming it and walk away? Is there some google wallet scam I dont know about? Or is this just another way people pay eachother these days and I shouldn't worry about it? Does it have buyer and seller protections like paypal? I know paypal claims are shitty for sellers anyway, but its better than nothing
    As far as I know there isn't any kind of buyer or seller protection with Google Wallet similar to Paypal. I have a couple tenants pay me rent through Google wallet and it is pretty nice. My only complaint is there is little consistency in the speed at which the funds are available. I have one tenant who pays and the money isn't "available" for almost a week and then it takes another few days to transfer it to my bank account. With another tenant the money is available next day.

Any time the buyer is saying they are having problems with paypal, BEWARE.

Shit is not that difficult. If they insist on a method of payment, assume scam.

Unless you are strapped for cash, I would hold out until he can get you payment thru a proven method.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    As far as I know there isn't any kind of buyer or seller protection with Google Wallet similar to Paypal.
    https://support.google.com/wallet/an...5?hl=en&ctx=go

That is fraud protection. Like somebody somehow getting control of your google wallet. If you buy something from somebody using google wallet and they mail you a box of bricks, I think you are SOL.

Google Wallet

Huh, well then since I am the one doing the selling maybe that's even better for me since with PayPal they almost always side with the buyer and refund peoples money anyway if there is a complaint with the transaction. But yeah, probs with PayPal from intl buyer, who ended up paying me with a method I didn't even know existed until money was sent to me without asking if that method was ok is a big red flag for me hence my posting here

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    That is fraud protection. Like somebody somehow getting control of your google wallet. If you buy something from somebody using google wallet and they mail you a box of bricks, I think you are SOL.
    Oh, this?

https://support.google.com/wallet/an...ref_topic=8942

ill bet whatever protections the linked CC/Debit gives are transfered to the "google wallet" account. I have not looked deeply into this though...probably in the TOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I have it setup on my phone and use it for lunch at whole foods a couple of times a month. But that's about it. It seems like very few people I know use it so p2p transactions are out. Then the nfc credit card terminals are pretty spendy so very few of the merchants I do business with use it. Just today I bought a t shirt and after I swiped my amex I realized that the cc reader was nfc enabled. I'd have used my phone just for the novelty of it had I known. But that's just it, right now it's just a novelty. I'm an unabashed Google fanboi so I'm cool with being am early adopter but I have high hopes that lots of other folks will get on board soon because I love the convenience of just using my phone to pay for things.
    Not to mention, NFC is even easier to hack than Bluetooth. If you have that on your smartphone, DISABLE IT. (last I heard, it was).
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.