Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BettyDee

BettyDee

I never met her and except for random and sporadic facebook contact and reading her TRs I didn't know her. So I feel weird posting this, but it seems like there should be a thread here for BettyDee. My fb feed is literally full of pictures of her smiling. You get the impression that she was always smiling.

I was in the same area of Patagonia just a short while before Liz's group and I remember thinking what a shame it was that our schedules didn't overlap. The last picture she posted was of a rad looking, glaciated mountain and she commented "pinch me". I was jealous because I know exactly how great it is when it's good down there and how you feel when you're up somewhere in that insane place with perfect snow and it seems like a dream. I have had one or two of my best ski days very close to where she died and I'm pretty sure her last line was one that I've looked at and would have liked to ski. I hope her last days were some of those rare, perfect ones.

This thoughtful piece on the adventure journal blog says it well: "...the knowledge that another amazing spirit is gone from the world, taken from everyone. And let’s not forget the existential echoes, the mortality. Coulda been me. Wasn’t. Let’s hope it isn’t, for a while."

The same article says how meaningless all the RIP messages on social media are, and how important at the same time. I never thought I would be this sad about the passing of a stranger - I'm sure I'm not the only one. I admired her from a distance for her skills, her humour and what seemed like an unfailingly positive attitude.

Her guiding colleagues about what a great and passionate guide she was.

Her hilarious and insightful write up about guiding on Denali

And of course her TRs.

Heartfelt condolences to all those who were close to amazing, beautiful, funny Liz Daley.
    Ride in Peace sister.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

RIP, I have greatly enjoyed her TRs, and the always-smiling attitude she projected through them.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Are you fucking kidding me? She was with the other two? God dammit. RIP, I guess.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

A sticky for the 3 greats would be a good thing.

RIP

Thanks for posting that, klar. I also feel weird that I'm this gut-punched at the loss of someone I only knew from the internet. I think that's a testament to the amazing job she did of taking us with her. Liz brought the kind of stoke that showed who she was by what she loved and lived and wanted to share. I never needed the TR forum because all the best stuff could always be found by pulling up Betty Dee's "latest threads started." She inspired every time and showed a humble generosity in the process. She'll be missed for a very long time but this moment is a punch in the gut for which words fail. Condolences to family, friends and fans.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Are you fucking kidding me? She was with the other two? God dammit. RIP, I guess.
    Separate incident on the same day.

I know how you feel Klar. Although we did have about a million mutual friends and last New Year's Eve she walked into my house and joined my party for a moment thinking it was Tabke's, we never actually met. Still, with the community being as small as it is, the loss of her, of JP, of Andreas... if you knew them you are crushed and you are still crushed even if you didn't know them personally.

Casimiro said it best, as usual.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Well put Klar. A friend here who was close described her as an 'undercover badass', never trying to be anybody other than herself...

A local guide shared a sentiment this morning that resonated, that 'we live the dream, but our dreams are also our biggest challenges'.
    Steve's essay was so spot on, and downright inspiring-
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Adam, I'm surprised you never met her. I expect you probably crossed paths more than you think. It is a small community.

At a time when we all should be getting excited for the upcoming season, it is sobering. The numbers of riders who die each year is not staggering, it's not an epidemic that cripples society, yet it is such a small community that it seems we all lose a friend, or a friend of a friend every year. Or we lose legends. And often they are both legends and friends. And we are sad.

I have watched JP's street segment several times today. It will be how I remember him, as he was a legend I never met. And I will think back to one of those random, amazing early season days that was a perfect day for a perfect girl with a perfect smile. And hope that she sees many more on the other side.
    Living vicariously through myself.

It's quite possible we did cross paths. Our circles are/were certainly very much overlapping.

When she came into my house last year she was looking for Tabke et al. but since there's no cell service in Glacier she couldn't figure out what house was the right house. I guess she figured a lot of music coming from a lit-up house w/ cars out front was a good place to start. She walked into the house and started up the stairs where she met my g/f who promptly served her some whisky, then joked something along the lines of "Aren't you a guide? Shouldn't you know how to navigate in a neighborhood?" before walking her to the right place.

Sadly I was behind a drum set at the top of the stairs and missed the whole thing.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

The best way to honor the dead is to honor the living more.

So here's to BettyDee and may I find the character and strength to honor the loving living.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

thanks for posting Klar. good to see that Liz has her own thread for condolences and to remember her. Like you, I didn't know her but always feel so much pain when this shit happens to our ski/climbing community. Being a regular on sb.com, my wife and I were shocked to hear of the accident and can't believe such an awesome person could be taken away. I'm pretty sure she was my wife's hero and splitboarding inspiration (mine too. ). Fuck this sucks.

Thank you for starting this thread, Klar. That tribute video is heart-wrenching, yet inspiring. If I had daughters I would have them watch it. I do have sons and will most definitely have them watch it. Inspiring for all. I didn't know Liz, but she clearly lived life to the fullest. Vibes to friends and family. She will be missed by strangers also.

She seemed to be the kind of woman I would like my daughters to grow up to be...happy, chasing adventure, getting it done in the mountains. I'm sure her family and friends are crushed by this. I wish I had something to say to them other than that she brightened up this place with her trip reports, and I admired her from afar.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i don't read any blogs, well cept the whiz
    so this is pretty much where i get my stoke from
    and betty always delivered the goods in full for what i perceived the luvs of the doing it and the smiles it put on her pretty face style.
    the fact that she was taken from all of us here who admired her ,family friends and colleges on the same day as 2 of skiings other icons
    has to be one of the shittiest coincidences of fate
    if there is some kind of memorial fund please post a link
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

for the kids that don't know

Always smiling. I'll smile on and give my girl a kiss for you.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I'm glad you started this thread as she deserves her own too. Thanks for doing that
    She was awesome and seemed like a unique soul- I always enjoyed reading about her latest adventures. she will be missed by the world

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    I'm glad you started this thread as she deserves her own too. Thanks for doing that
    She was awesome and seemed like a unique soul- I always enjoyed reading about her latest adventures. she will be missed by the world
    Agree.

A sad loss.

She was the real deal, seriously skilled and professional and yet always wearing a mesmerizing smile in every picture. What a loss to our community. I'll miss the blips of her adventuring spirit. Thanks for making this thread.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    Well said. So sad. RIP.

Thanks for the thread. She seemed to be the type that I would like my daughter to grow up to be, chasing adventure and always smiling.

Raising a glass to you tonight BettyDee, thanks for the stoke!

BettyDee was amazing and always full of stoke, both on and off the hill. It was a privilege to meet and befriend her and eventually share many amazing days this past season in chamonix. Thanks for posting this Klar. Still can't believe it happened though and with Andreas and JP all on the same day, especially with as Klar said her last post on FB was of how amazing conditions were down in South America. I didn't even think for a second that something like this was even capable of happening after seeing that post.

Never met her but she was an inspiration as a splitter getting out there the right way. She rode lines that were seemingly too big to photograph and took the time to share incredible photos. Very sad to see someone that's winning so big in life get snuffed out. Life's fragility rivals its value at times, unfortunate for this to come to pass.