Dynafit crampon on CRJ

I have a Dynafit setup on my 188 4Frnt CR Johnson pros. I am looking at getting Dynafit Crampons, the ski is 118mm at the waist. I have them mounted at -2cm.

The crampons come in 120 mm &130mm options. Would O be better with the 130mm option?
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Measure the width of the ski at the widest point that the crampon would sit. If it's under 120, get that. Crampons should not extend out any further than needed. It put extra pressure on the crampon and binding. Also, check out B&D crampons for Dynafits. From what I have heard, they are much more solid.

Dynafit crampons are narrower than the stated measurement. You can probably fit a 120mm crampon on a 118mm waisted ski, but you might have to file away some of the crampon material to avoid rub. I'd still give it a try.

You have a few mm of wiggle room, and it isn't like the CRJs are super curvy and short radius. B&D do a 125mm crampon if you needed it, but I wouldn't describe them as more solid than the dynafits. My dynafit crampons have great big ribs stamped into the metal to stop the arms bending in use, whereas my B&D ones only have a couple of little indents on the bends at either side. Not that I've heard of anyone breaking a pair of either...

I don't know if the B&D is any burlier, but after my first year on the Dynafit ski crampons I would certainly recommend taking a look. Basically there are two designs for ski crampons. The Dynafit is mated into the binding and hinges while others are flat mounted to the ski. My only guess is that the hinge design works better on lower angle skin tracks used in Europe, but it was problematic for me last year. When the heel lifters are up you get very little bite without adding some kind of extension to the top of the crampon. B&D's can be used either way with the lock and have an option for a modular extension. Despite their warning I'm thinking of installing their lock for use with my Dynafit crampons for my spring volcano boards.

As far as fit, I'd echo the above comments - get them as tight as possible. If you have a local retailer take them in after the bindings are mounted and try them out.

120mm B&D

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    Dynafit crampons are narrower than the stated measurement. You can probably fit a 120mm crampon on a 118mm waisted ski, but you might have to file away some of the crampon material to avoid rub. I'd still give it a try.
    I disagree. My 14/15 crampon stock order arrived from Dynafit this week & the 120mm (red) crampon measures 122mm between the inner faces of the stiffening ribs & 125mm between the tips. As the stiffening ribs go either side of the ski it's the 122mm width that's the critical dimension. I've still got a couple of pairs left from last year & they're identical.

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    get them as tight as possible.
    Not really that big a deal. 10mm, meh. It's not like you're putting a 130mm crampon on a 75mm ski.

I've seen a par of B&D crampons fail and I've had my own pair bend in use a couple of times. The Dynafits are far better engineered imo..
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I bought 110 which just fit on a 108 mm ski but the next year i get a 120mm ski, so what are the chances of you buying a wider ski and needing to buy another crampon ?

if the slot is there on the binding and the crampon is 130mm I don't really see a reason why anything would break or any reason why you couldn't use a 130mm crampon on a 118mm wide ski?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Finally found a ruler... my orange dynafit crampons ("100mm", about 3 years old, maybe?) are ~104mm internal width, and my B&D crampons ("115mm") are ~118mm internal width.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I don't really see a reason why anything would break or any reason why you couldn't use a 130mm crampon on a 118mm wide ski?
    Side-hilling isn't going to be much fun if your crampons are much wider than the ski.

You could just point straight up the hill, of course...