Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    ^^Dave Matthews drummer is such a monster. unreal

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    just checked out that lp. I have newer nas. didn't know he was around that long. thought I'd get a couple tracks. so solid I got it all. cheers

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Cross post here just b/c M/B/M doesn't seem to get traction for discussion.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...e-And-Dreaming

Thread being said, despite what I originally thought was a bad music era at the time turned out to be one of the best. To steal a quote from one of the articles at the link, the music at the time inlcuded:

And yes, I understand many of the mags will fear to be outed as not solely limited to Zappa fans. (see link for my complete disclaimer)

What do you remember about 90s music 20 years on?
    I don't listen to Zappa and that entire lists sucks ass to the prostate.

20 Years Since Many Great 90's Music Debuts

There was something "alternative" going on in late 80s early 90s that was pretty exciting and raw. Coincided with when I left my country home to live in the slums of Isla Vista surrounded by coed trim and drugs and new friends who were "art majors" and liked to drink wine and psychedelics and talk all night in houses lit only with candles and blacklights. Janes Addiction, NIN are two bands that stand out from that time.

The days were filled with sounds of Sublime and grunge like Nirvana and Pearl Jam blaring from balconies overlooking the ocean, me rolling down the sonic landscape of Del Playa lubricated by natty ice or worst.

Funny how the music of the time provides the soundtrack for your life. I am amazed at times I made it through that stage in my life. I know some who did not.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Touch & Go, Amphetamine Reptile, Sub Pop; the soundtrack of the underground 90s. I doubt we'll see such a concentration of solid band rosters again.

Fuel and Collective Soul.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

20 Years Since Many Great 90's Music Debuts

Quote Originally Posted by PlayItLeo View Post
    ^^^ 2Pac, Snoop and Dre made the best hip hop albums of alltime!

As a high schooler in The Bay Area in the early/mid 90's, hip hop was the soundtrack of life. No matter if you were a hippie kid, a grunge kid, a Madonna fan, or whatever, everyone listened to The Dawg Pound, Too Short, Rappin 4Tay, the Grouch and Eligh, Death Row Records, Outkast, Silkk the Shocker, C-Murda, Mac Dre, Eminem, Kurupt, Biggie, etc... Definitely the golden age of hip hop.

Saw this piece about hip hop in '94 on FB a while back and it brought back memories http://grantland.com/hollywood-prosp...greatest-year/

On the opposite end of the musical spectrum, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Green Jello (kidding, but I rocked it), definitely second Silver Chair's Frogstomp album, NIN, Sublime, Alice In Chains, Blind Melon, and of course, Garbage.
    FIFY.....
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post

The 90s was when R.E.M. went from pretty interesting group...
    REM was good in the 80's same with U2

Radiohead's "The Bends" will celebrate it's 20th birthday next year.

my addition to the too cool for school would be the band soul coughing, my favorite is circles

While not entirely 90s I did enjoy the return of these cats a few years back for their reunion tour

These were good 90s too

back on 90s

This thread lost ALL credibility when you mentioned bush.
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Radiohead's "The Bends" will celebrate it's 20th birthday next year.
    not quite 20. but OK Computer was amazing

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    not quite 20. but OK Computer was amazing
    Indeed it was, but to me "The Bends" was the record that paved the way for that masterpiece. I remember hearing "Creep" and just wasn't that impressed, but when "The Bends" came out Radiohead quickly became one of my favorite bands.

In retrospect, the 90's still suck.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Tool
    NIN (yeah, pretty hate machine was technically 1989, whatever)
    The Crystal Method
    The Chemical Brothers
    The Prodigy
    White Zombie
    The Smashing Pumpkins
    The peak of Guns n Roses
    The peak of Metallica
    Dr. Dre
    Snoop Dogg
    Tupac
    Cypress Hill
    Daft Punk
    Underworld
    Orbital
    Pearl Jam
    Soundgarden
    Nirvana
    Red Hot Chili Peppers (yeah, they started in the 80's but were kicking ass the whole way through the 90's)
    Sublime
    Rage Against the Machine
    Beastie Boys
    Garth fucking Brooks
    Foo Fighters
    Weezer
    Stone Temple Pilots

Yeah, it was a goddamn renaissance.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    This thread lost ALL credibility when you mentioned bush.
    I was drinking at the time and I think Bush was always a companion band to No Doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity's Gone View Post
    man, i'm going to lose hours on youtube now. have me thinking of dave playing every Tuesday (?) night at Trax in C'Ville for a few bucks. originals and covers. boyd tinsley was the key ingredient, imo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3rvYlemlF0
    That had to be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Tool
    NIN (yeah, pretty hate machine was technically 1989, whatever)
    The Crystal Method
    The Chemical Brothers
    The Prodigy
    White Zombie
    The Smashing Pumpkins
    The peak of Guns n Roses
    The peak of Metallica
    Dr. Dre
    Snoop Dogg
    Tupac
    Cypress Hill
    Daft Punk
    Underworld
    Orbital
    Pearl Jam
    Soundgarden
    Nirvana
    Red Hot Chili Peppers (yeah, they started in the 80's but were kicking ass the whole way through the 90's)
    Sublime
    Rage Against the Machine
    Beastie Boys
    Garth fucking Brooks
    Foo Fighters
    Weezer
    Stone Temple Pilots

Yeah, it was a goddamn renaissance.
    A great but arguably impartial list that shows in retrospect what an amazing period it was for music!
    I still call it The Jake.

A great but arguably impartial list that shows in retrospect what an amazing period it was for music!
    Impartial? Hardly. Nor is that even complete. That is just what's in my itunes between 1990 and 2000. I know I'm missing a lot more good stuff in genres I don't really care for (Rap, hiphop, pop, country).

It was an amazing time for music. Every single category of music was putting out some of their absolute greats putting out their best work. Hell, you could even throw Yanni, Enya, Kenny G and the 3 Tenors in that mix, if that's your thing.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Impartial? Hardly. Nor is that even complete. That is just what's in my itunes between 1990 and 2000. I know I'm missing a lot more good stuff in genres I don't really care for (Rap, hiphop, pop, country).

It was an amazing time for music. Every single category of music was putting out some of their absolute greats putting out their best work. Hell, you could even throw Yanni, Enya, Kenny G and the 3 Tenors in that mix, if that's your thing.
    Stupid iphone replaced what I meant to type, "incomplete" with impartial for some reason, so we are in complete agreement here. It really was an amazing time for every genre of music.

I think every decade is amazing in its own way and most people are going to think the time when they were in their late teens or early twenties was "the greatest" era in music.

I think every decade is amazing in its own way and most people are going to think the time when they were in their late teens or early twenties was "the greatest" era in music.
    Johnny Cash proved a good tune is simply a good tune

No kidding. Growing up in the 80's the Mantra was that 70's music sucked, mainly due to Disco. In the 90's the kids thought 80's music sucked due to Madonna and other pop queens, like Janet jackson, etc. It keeps going.

The amazing thing is thanks to digital music there is far more to choose from today than there ever was back in the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's.

Whoever posted White Zombie - man, that takes me back to DJing in an Industrial club. Nitzer Ebb, KMFDM, NIN, Ministry, etc.... so fun.

I wish Tool would get on spotify.
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    ^^Dave Matthews drummer is such a monster. unreal

Yeah incredible...such a great rythmnist...Like Stuart Copeland from the Police...

Oh yeah TUPAC..noone rapped like him..Im really not a rap fan at all, but when you can put down poetry like that guy did, i dont care what beat you put it to.

Every single category of music was putting out some of their absolute greats putting out their best work. Hell, you could even throw Yanni, Enya, Kenny G and the 3 Tenors in that mix, if that's your thing.
    Zamfir?
    Boxcar Willie?
    Roger Whittaker?
    Artis the Spoon Man?

I like the pure SWPL stoke from crackers boastin' on rap/hiphop appreciation. "I'm so hip I know a black dude, an asian lesbian and a turkish tranny, and I've loved hiphop since the 90s."

go here, look at items no. 107, 116, 14, 8, 7 and then you understand the difference between what people actually like, aesthetically speaking, and what they feel clique-bound to "appreciate" for core hipster points.

Kick it root down!

Damn, I missed that shit!