Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SoCal Maggs: Mammoth Mountain Owner buys Bear Mountain and Snow Summit

"this thread is an odd combo of win and fail." -Danno

I guess "The Downhill Slide" is not yet complete.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Been rumblings about this for a while. Makes sense for MM. They can cross-market to feeder resorts. Might help with June marketing too. Big "meh" from here on the worry about consolidation issues present with other acquisitions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Mammoth pass now worth the money perhaps. Do SS and BB suck, or are they passable for some fun weekend turns?

Where are we at with El Nino?

you do that,,,,,,,,,, go up to bb on the weekend, while you are at it go to mammoth on the weekends too.

I am stoked. Living in L.A., this means I will be able to get in so many more days this season!

Well. I wonder if Mtn collective will get me half off. $78 is too high for bear Mtn
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Bear and SS are hardly worth the effort. Marginal terrain, usually crappy snow, but if you catch conditions just right they can be fun. I suspect this will be an excuse to raise MM pass prices, if so it is not worth it, if not, then it may be worth something for those living close. For me it is a four hour drive, while MM is 5.5, so i will gladly spend the extra 1.5 hours for a vastly better mountain.

I doubt this is going to be a big advantage for Mammoth. I also don't see the real estate bonanza they anticipate. Prices there have been underwater for years. I suspect this will just be another big blunder like everything since McCoy sold.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

^^ Some truth there. I'm wondering about water rights. Mammoth "Purchased" these mountains as well? BB/SS these places just ooze lame and are over run with snowboarding dickheads who throw 40's out their window on the way down the Mtn. As far as worth it? For about an hour on a huge day ( which are few ) traffic is a complete joke. Then again if this El Nino doesn't pan out this will surely sink Rusty and his ilk and the next chapter will begin.

ETA-Just read that article. Anybody else feel like it was written by hop sing? Anyways-they are doing it for real estate and development reasons? WTF----------------------anybody seen the village that is closed half the season in Mammoth? The piss smelling main lodge. Never mind about that hole that is June. Man this is surely Rusty's last foolish blunder. I wonder if his daddy is still funneling $ to him and if his little divorce is heating up?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenKnee View Post
    I am stoked. Living in L.A., this means I will be able to get in so many more days this season!
    Are you a beginner? If yes, then you should be stoked.

If Snow Valley was also purchased and included in the super pass, it would have been worth it. So close to perfect. ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using TGR Forums
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Just saw this and it's of no use to me or anyone I ski with at mammoth all season long. I hope it helps the area, honestly cause I like it there in the summer. But I'm willing to bet for most of us who Make the trek from socal to mammoth all winter long we will drive right by just like we always do. Unless you ride park or can ski weekdays only up there, then you are stoked!

I was trying to figure out "why" buy those So Cal resorts with teh Global Warmingz making So Cal snow a thing of the past. Do they want their snow making system, lifts, what And maybe this will work for a mid week dump, but I am still just driving up to Mammoth twice a month, so whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

They want them for the real estate associated with them and to turn them into a year round resort. Big Bear is just as, or more popular in summer as a LA get away.

iscariot

They didn't want those resorts being involved in the Epic Pass. That would have killed Mammoth.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyyee View Post
    ETA-Just read that article. Anybody else feel like it was written by hop sing?
    It was run through a English to Spanish and back machine translation to get around the LA Times paywall.

Quote Originally Posted by 45hill View Post
    They didn't want those resorts being involved in the Epic Pass. That would have killed Mammoth.
    I'm hoping you're saying this in jest?

Mammoth and the town are in their 4th year of decline. Sad but true. Look at the numbers. Restaurants suck ( yes,yes I know that is a broad brush stroke but you get it ) Town is almost a mirror imagine of fresno-mexican ghetto and all. The low life element has never been stronger. If they have another shitty snow year you can write them off. Utah/Colorado ( if they get snow ) are all options for So. Ca. And please, pleaseeeee don't tell me about flying into mammoth-such a hit and miss deal it isn't worth the hassle of wondering if you'll land or take off.

That being said ill make sure my pass pays for itself and ignore 90% of the towns business and camp. and if I eat out it is at whoa nelli deli guy at the village.

The added mountains work for me. Sliding on snow and getting out of the city are the goals. But I would only be up during the week .Pretty happy as Snow Summit has some kickass snowmaking infrastructure and they are not afraid to use it. Hopefully new ownership feels the same way.Guess we will find out soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I was trying to figure out "why" buy those So Cal resorts with teh Global Warmingz making So Cal snow a thing of the past.
    Actually it's now called "Climate Disruption" as of a few days ago. (Global Cooling --> Global Warming --> Climate Change --> Climate Disruption = cha-ching free tax $$$ for those in power.)

Back on topic though, I'm not getting a paywall at this link: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...924-story.html
    (But if you do, try a Firefox user agent extension to pretend you're Google, or this: http://lifehacker.com/bypassing-payw...hout-872832245 )

I wonder if Mammy ownership will mean good things for the bike park! Hopefully they have more pull with the Forest Service and can get new trails authorized.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 09-25-2014 at 10:49 PM.

People in Mammoth are excited. Not because of this. The place has been rumbling like a motherfucker with earthquake swarms since yesterday. Last time the place had these swarms property values dropped dramatically.

^^^ talkeetna had a 6.2 yesterday. Is Cascadia next?
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

It's been going for about a week now. The last few days have had some that you can feel. Looks like Hot Creek is going to be vaporized. Too bad as it is one of the best trout streams in the West.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyyee View Post
    I'm hoping you're saying this in jest?

Mammoth and the town are in their 4th year of decline. Sad but true. Look at the numbers. Restaurants suck ( yes,yes I know that is a broad brush stroke but you get it ) Town is almost a mirror imagine of fresno-mexican ghetto and all. The low life element has never been stronger. If they have another shitty snow year you can write them off. Utah/Colorado ( if they get snow ) are all options for So. Ca. And please, pleaseeeee don't tell me about flying into mammoth-such a hit and miss deal it isn't worth the hassle of wondering if you'll land or take off.

That being said ill make sure my pass pays for itself and ignore 90% of the towns business and camp. and if I eat out it is at whoa nelli deli guy at the village.
    Huh?

If Vail bought Big Bear and Snow Summit no one would have reason to come to Mammoth. Mammoth just cornered the SoCal ski market.

You should try the new menu at Lakanuki. Everything is fresh and never frozen. They have done a heck of a job. If you go in early it is not the same scene as late night. Toomey does a great job too.

The worst part about Mammoth is that it is in the middle of nowhere. That's why I like it here.

Now if we can only get a roof on our ice rink.

Quote Originally Posted by HansJob View Post
    ^^^ talkeetna had a 6.2 yesterday. Is Cascadia next?
    This guy talks about all of it....

And kind of alludes to all the western volcano chain shaking causing the glacier breaking off which created a mud flow on Shasta....

I like the idea of real estate prices dropping - or correcting. Everything on the market is overpriced, and in serious need of work. However, I don't like the idea of the volcano blowing (so much for LA having water).

Ok, so now my pass is good at Big Bear, haven't been there since the last El Nino...