Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Glove repair suggestions

I have a 3-4 year old pair of Hestra Vertical Cuts that are in great shape, other than two small holes in the first finger tips, from normal wear and tear. Any suggestions on how to repair (other than duct tape)? Do seamstresses do work on that kind of stuff? Thanks!

just slather on a little aqua seal and if the holes go right thru you may need some kind of backing, once you got the AQS where you want it you can keep it in place with saran wrap

AQS is great stuff, besides fixing holes I have glued that big seam together where the thumb attaches to the palm of a ski glove
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Depending on the size/shape/location of the holes, you might want to give Shoe Goo a try. I've found it to be about the best flexible repair product out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_Goo
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

I had a local shoe repair do a great job with a leather bag. I would check with a local cobbler as they work with leather. Contacting Hestra is an option too. Of course the rest of us just use duct tape.

shoo goo will work, probably you wana warm the tube up in a cup of hot water to make it flow

shoo goo, AQS, seam seal its all just liquid urethane in various consistencies depending on your app

ductape sucks

Hestra has a bitch'n lifetime warranty program. I suggest you contact them and maybe send them pictures. There is a good chance they may repair or replace your gloves for free.
    Gravity Junkie

I already talked to them and sent pics..they said its normal wear and tear, not covered by warranty...

Here's a pic...shoe goo this? Or thread and needle myself? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1411526384.890062.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	729.2 KB 
ID:	158498

Are you anywhere near these guys. http://www.tec-tahoe.com/ They did excellent work on a wetsuit for me, very nice guys, fair price. For that matter, they should fit in a $5.69 priority mail envelope.

I was surprised to find shoe goo not as durav=ble and hard wearing as AQS for cold weather areas with a lot of friction (ski gloves).

But what everyone else said: shoegoo or AQS.

I glue up all the wear areas on brand new gloves now, before use them.
    Life is not lift served.

Buy a Speedy Stitcher sewing awl.
    You will be repairing /modifying all kinds of stuff once you get one.

If I were to try AQS, is this the product you'd recommend?
    http://www.aquaseal.com/stitchguard.html

Permatex 80902

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    NO!, try this: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/aquaseal

I have used aquaseal to repair gloves for many years. Stay away from shoe goo, it does not measure up to aquaseal. Den

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

yup thats ^^ the stuff, warm it up in a cup of hot water, wrapping the application with saran wrap really does a good job of getting product in the right places without drips or making a fucking mess

store the rest of the tube in a sealed glass jar in the freezer for all the other shit that will break in the next year ...always have a tube going

ok thanks

If you look at my pic above, should I try to reconnect the leather edges around the hole or use this product to basically cover over the hole and create a new "skin"?

You want to make a "new skin" the problem might be that AQS sticks "like shit in a bears fur" and it may leach into/thru the glove insulation but if you could get some backing material even a scrap of masking tape or plastic bag into that hole to stop the migration you would be good to go

You SHOULD have done the repair BEFORE the hole formed as Neck Beard is telling us he knows where he trashes his gloves and does a premptive repair CUZ its much easier to put AQS on a glove that isn't FUBARED ... really smart way to double the life of your glove

I been patching some shitty MEC gloves for years with seamseal. At the moment it's become a how far can I take them challenge.

Same here - aqua seal rules
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

3-4 years? New gloves you cheap sonofabitch.

I'll second the cobbler suggestion or... you may get help if you happen to have a hockey store nearby that does glove repair

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    Same here - aqua seal rules
    wow. just wow.

Holes in gloves show your working kid -

no, callusses show you're working, sally.