Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    It's tax cheating. Otherwise he'd bill with tax id and invoice. How does a check cover you without a detailed invoice?
    Easy-

He goes to your bank and cashes. Two things here-

#1. You're being cheap ( an assumption)
    #2. He is a hack and willing to risk what most professional masons/concrete contractors won't.
    Invoices are invoices. Up to the guy to pay his taxes. Writing a check is stupid of course but so is hiring a guy ( unless you've done work with him before) 50% of the time everything is fine. Good luck.

this work will more than likely be sub-standard and you will pay twice as much to do it the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, heh, got me. Hey, I'm not worried for myself in this case, just wondering if it's safe for him, which I gather it is. If so, I may be interested in a similar technique in the future, if ya know what I mean.
    Passive aggressive much? You're in the same boat with him legally and you're here asking questions because you know it is a risk? man-people and construction-never ceases to amaze how the brain ceases to function!!

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    This is the type of insight I come here for.
    Bet you didn't know the more expensive one's better before you posted here either. Wait on tenterhooks for Danno's tire change TR.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyyee View Post
    Easy-

He goes to your bank and cashes. Two things here-

#1. You're being cheap ( an assumption)
    #2. He is a hack and willing to risk what most professional masons/concrete contractors won't.
    Invoices are invoices. Up to the guy to pay his taxes. Writing a check is stupid of course but so is hiring a guy ( unless you've done work with him before) 50% of the time everything is fine. Good luck.

this work will more than likely be sub-standard and you will pay twice as much to do it the right way.

Work done. Ahead of schedule. Looks awesome. He made it a point three times to tell me it was warrantied for a year, although the mind boggles how any problem could surface in a year. There's a 7 year old project around the corner that looks fine. Krist, there's fucking concrete and rebar under there. These guys work like dogs. This is good stuff. Besides, ain't no tax paying white people who do this in a hundred mile radius. White people pimping their work, like the moron who took two weeks to get me a quote. This guy stood there and just gave me a number, we negotiated, he got to work. Thanks, Pedro.

Man, this was expensive. But I'm betting it's a wash as far as the home value is concerned.

Hugh Conway Guest
    cracks me the fuck up all of the middle managing dumbfucks who's job it is to produce quotes, call people back, do the easy shit from a desk who can't do it right these days. Dead weight. Man, paying $3 a month extra for car insurance is worth not talking to some sleazebag.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyyee View Post
    Passive aggressive much? You're in the same boat with him legally and you're here asking questions because you know it is a risk? man-people and construction-never ceases to amaze how the brain ceases to function!!
    I fail to see how I'm in the same boat legally, unless somebody finds this thread. "What? He said personal check. Really? Invoice? I didn't know. Honest. It's not as though I do stuff like this every day. Sorry."

I'll just leave this here for those that think that someone who does heavy labor doesn't deserve the same little breaks in life as rich assholes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/25/up...s&emc=rss&_r=0

Pretty hard to play that game if you're a wage slave like me all my life or most of America. Number one reason to start your own biz.

love seeing the maggots get all hinky over grey and black market shit, when you come from Nouveau Riche trustafarian stock, you are always white marketeer.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I fail to see how I'm in the same boat legally, unless somebody finds this thread. "What? He said personal check. Really? Invoice? I didn't know. Honest. It's not as though I do stuff like this every day. Sorry."
    "He told me taxes were included in the final price, as far as I knew he remitted"

Case closed, I see nothing wrong here. Although things are a little different up here in the North...

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    "He told me taxes were included in the final price, as far as I knew he remitted"

Case closed, I see nothing wrong here. Although things are a little different up here in the North...
    In retirement my dad was an under the table helper for a somewhat sketchy AZN dude who did under the table repairs/renos in Vangroovy and Dad said the whole city was full of fucked up reno's that he often ended fixing, so I asked who did good reno's and he said well probably us

Actualy dad did most of the thinking and the azn dude just fucked shit up ...the old man was pretty damn good at fixn/buildn stuff
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know