Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Mazda Miata

Saw the new one at Monterey, I think they did the helluva job. It is very athletic in it's stance and style. If it had the Jaguar logo on it, it would not look out of place.
    Click. Point. Chute.

It wouldn't be a Miata if it wasn't underpowered. It's not like they've ever been fast without engine modifications.
    NA 1.6L: 116 hp (2200lb)
    NA 1.8L: 128-133hp (2300lb)
    NB 1.8L: 140-143hp (2350lb)
    NC 2.0L: 170hp (2450-2550lb)
    ND 2.0L: ~165hp (~2300lb)

So by those specs the ND should have the best power/weight ratio of any Miata thus far (excepting the turbo Mazdaspeed NB).
    Last edited by adrenalated; 10-06-2014 at 11:55 AM.

You're missing the point. It's fast enough. Why more speed? Like I said, I see these ridiculous machines around here on the weekend with their 0-60 in 4 second abilities, and think, what a waste. And, funny thing, a lot of those guys drive like old ladies, because they know they're targets for money hungry municipalities armed with radar guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You're missing the point. It's fast enough. Why more speed? Like I said, I see these ridiculous machines around here on the weekend with their 0-60 in 4 second abilities, and think, what a waste.
    While I agree with you in regard to the Miata, I'm otherwise a fan of having loads of power for the sake of making passing safer. For example, when I used to have my CTS-V and would attempt to pass some slow driver who decides to floor it the second I went to pass them, all I'd have to do is drop it a gear or two and smile as I went roaring past them. Dorks didn't have a chance to block my pass. I could execute my pass safely and effectively. Now that I'm in a slower car, I end up being stuck behind way more of these roadhogging bubble-dwellers than ever before. Spend a summer stuck behind Yellowstone tourists who routinely do 30 in a 60 for stretches of 30+ miles while refusing to use pullouts, and you'll understand exactly what I'm talking about. To me, HP can equal safety and much lower stress levels. Then again, if I was cruising around in a Miata with the top down, maybe I'd chill out and enjoy the scenery a bit more when I'm stuck behind those people.

You're missing the point. It's fast enough. Why more speed? Like I said, I see these ridiculous machines around here on the weekend with their 0-60 in 4 second abilities, and think, what a waste. And, funny thing, a lot of those guys drive like old ladies, because they know they're targets for money hungry municipalities armed with radar guns.
    4 sec 0-60? so 2010..there are cars doing 0-60 under 3 seconds now.

I was talking to a guy who was proud that his 80 something Vette would do 0-60 in 6 seconds, I commented the Z06 is going that in 3 seconds. HE said that is only 3 sends faster...I said it's TWICE as fast...and asked him what what is needed to to move 3,000lb+ to 60mph twice as quick? A ton of fucking power..thats what.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    While I agree with you in regard to the Miata, I'm otherwise a fan of having loads of power for the sake of making passing safer. For example, when I used to have my CTS-V and would attempt to pass some slow driver who decides to floor it the second I went to pass them, all I'd have to do is drop it a gear or two and smile as I went roaring past them. Dorks didn't have a chance to block my pass. I could execute my pass safely and effectively. Now that I'm in a slower car, I end up being stuck behind way more of these roadhogging bubble-dwellers than ever before. Spend a summer stuck behind Yellowstone tourists who routinely do 30 in a 60 for stretches of 30+ miles while refusing to use pullouts, and you'll understand exactly what I'm talking about. To me, HP can equal safety and much lower stress levels. Then again, if I was cruising around in a Miata with the top down, maybe I'd chill out and enjoy the scenery a bit more when I'm stuck behind those people.

Never really thought of using this line of reasoning... More power for safety!

I like it.

I have a 1994 bone-stock Miata, and it's one of the least powerful cars I've owned, and it's really fun to drive. No issues with passing on two lane highways.

Rumour has it the new 2.0L version will make 180hp or so. Along with the weight loss (yay!!) the new car will be far from "unsafe" power-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    I bought a Golf R for my wife's daily driver, and it's made her life way less stressful for this exact reason.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I don't have a problem with the power figure, more that it has taken them a 2L engine to manage it in 2014 when ford have 999cc engine making 140bhp. Yes I'm sure the drivability will be better than that but honestly my NB makes 32mpg which is painful for what is meant to be cheap affordable car - with engine and turbo tech now 20 years on I really expected better.
    Quote Originally Posted by b dubya View Post
    Tricks are for hookers

cuz this is america god damn it so you need a bazillion HP and a glove box big enough for your glock
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know