Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Mazda Miata

Mazda Miata

My girlfriend just picked up a 2006 Mazda Miata from her brother, and last night I drove it back from Baltimore to Boston (taking some "back roads" detours along the way ). I am not a sports car aficionado (never owned one, drive a 4Runner) and my "sports car" driving experience is limited to a 2012 BMW 330i convertible that I drove a handful of times.

I've heard from folks who know cars that Miatas are the shit, and I am happy to report that the Miata is fucking FUN AS HELL. Steering is as tight and precise as I've experienced, cornering is stupid easy, six-speed transmission rocks, took it up to 95 with no problems on the highway- I want to drive it everywhere. Makes something as stupid as turning into a parking lot fucking fun as hell. I can't wait to take it on mountain back roads!!!! It was MUCH more fun than the BMW.

Do they look girly? Maybe a little. But I don't care. I want one bad.

Miatas fuckin' rock. That is all.

We need naked pics of the GF before we can properly respond. Ullr demands it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

What irul said.

And, I've driven my buddy's 2001 M Coupe (with coilovers and other stuff) and his Miata of roughly the same vintage. Many BMW engineers consider the Coupe the best car they've made for fun driving. I liked the Miata better. Not nearly as fast as the Coupe, but just more fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I had a '94 M Edition in '97 and '98. They are incredibly fun. Who gives a shit what it looks like.. It's a great drive. Bought one of those instead of a 993, and am probably still alive because of that decision. It's a toy, and it's easy to push it harder than it wants to go, but it's reasonably legal fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

I have a '96 as my beater commuter car. It makes commuting much more fun, that's for sure.

Best value in sports cars, hands down, especially used with low mileage. After a lot of experience, my number one rule is to keep good fresh tires on it that excel in the rain, and never, never drive it in the snow.

If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

I'm hoping that is not dark star's GF. Ullr will not be happy.

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Can you call a miata a sports car? Great car, but a sports car?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

It's the definition of a sports car.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car and please tell us what the first picture you see in that link is of.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    I'm hoping that is not dark star's GF. Ullr will not be happy.

Hey man, don't judge, we're in love.

Best value in sports cars, hands down, especially used with low mileage. After a lot of experience, my number one rule is to keep good fresh tires on it that excel in the rain, and never, never drive it in the snow.
    Hmmm, yes of course I was worried about this, since it's her only car. I know it's super light, but do you think with really good snow tires it's still a horrible idea?

Well, if she lives in a low snow place and gets good snow tires and fill the trunk with cat litter or something, she'll survive, but most most Miata owners park it for the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I'm seriously confused by this post, so, please explain. What do you consider a "sports car".

He's probably thinking something like this:

Buddy of mine in the 90s had a t top 6 speed Camaro that wasn't much different than that car. That was also a great value. Awesome car for the money that he spent on it used.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    He's probably thinking something like this:

Funny, in my fantasy dream world of cool car buying, this car (in this model) was also near the top of my list.

I had a '94 for a while. Doubt I'll ever own a car I enjoy as much.

I don't think Camaros were ever considered a sports car, but a muscle car, especially since they're 4seaters. Heavy, over-powered, and relatively large. AFAIK the only true American "sports cars" are the Corvette and Viper.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I don't think Camaros were ever considered a sports car, but a muscle car, especially since they're 4seaters. Heavy, over-powered, and relatively large. AFAIK the only true American "sports cars" are the Corvette and Viper.
    Mark Donahue and Roger Penske would differ.

Steve McQueen would protest from the Ford camp, also.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Buddy of mine in the 90s had a t top 6 speed Camaro that wasn't much different than that car. That was also a great value. Awesome car for the money that he spent on it used.
    Buddy in HS had a 94 Camaro with the six. Thing was slow as balls. We clocked it at something like... 11 seconds 0-60. Maybe I'm misremembering, but it was at least 9 and I swear it was 11. My Cherokee did 0-60 in under 8. That car definitely had a number of down years. They looked cool, and maybe the 350/454s were fast, but the model you saw most often on the road sure wasn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    There aren't any sports cars built by American manufacturers. Covette et al. are muscle cars. They're not bad cars, but there's no balance between handling and power. Closest contender might be the Ford Focus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Corvette is a muscle car? I know it has a lot of power, but it also has a fiberglass body, big brakes, independent sports suspension, etc. Never driven one, though.

Never driven a Miata, either, but I've always heard great things about them, and they've been a lot less feminine the last few gens. Isn't there that billionaire who buys one every year?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    There aren't any sports cars built by American manufacturers. Covette et al. are muscle cars. They're not bad cars, but there's no balance between handling and power. Closest contender might be the Ford Focus.
    The newer vettes actually do handle very well. But it's more akin to driving a Ferrari or a fast BMW or Mercedes than it is to driving a miata.