Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Moving to SLC

You won't regret the move man. I moved from Atlanta in June and I can never move back (and that statement comes from just experiencing a summer here). Biggest change I had was just moving to a new place without knowing anybody. The alcohol/lds stuff is not what many people make it out to be and isn't that bad. Hope you made your way up to beech for that storm last weekend...looked better than ours.

Sent from my LG-E980 using TGR Forums

I really appreciate all the help so far. I now need some wisdom in planning my drive for this weekend / next week.

Situation:
    -We can leave NC no earlier than ~5 PM on this Saturday
    -Our lease starts on Tues in SLC and we need to arrive that day if at all possible
    -We have a FWD with mediocre tires (already have some lightly used X-ice's waiting for me in SLC)
    -My wife and I can split the driving
    -Our dog Trooper has no issues with motion sickness but obviously is still a dog and has basic needs

My initial plan:
    -Sunday: Drive to St Louis or Kansas City (12 - 15 hours drive time + stops) -- we'll be pumped for day #1 and will have the most energy
    -Monday: Drive to Denver (8 - 12 hours drive time + stops)
    -Tuesday: Drive to SLC via I70 (8 hours drive time + stops)

Complication:
    -It is going to dump this weekend

Any general thoughts? How about the red segment above? Would it be better to take I80? Or should we try to wait the storm out in Denver?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    I really appreciate all the help so far. I now need some wisdom in planning my drive for this weekend / next week.

Situation:
    -We can leave NC no earlier than ~5 PM on this Saturday
    -Our lease starts on Tues in SLC and we need to arrive that day if at all possible
    -We have a FWD with mediocre tires (already have some lightly used X-ice's waiting for me in SLC)
    -My wife and I can split the driving
    -Our dog Trooper has no issues with motion sickness but obviously is still a dog and has basic needs

My initial plan:
    -Sunday: Drive to St Louis or Kansas City (12 - 15 hours drive time + stops) -- we'll be pumped for day #1 and will have the most energy
    -Monday: Drive to Denver (8 - 12 hours drive time + stops)
    -Tuesday: Drive to SLC via I70 (8 hours drive time + stops)

Complication:
    -It is going to dump this weekend

Any general thoughts? How about the red segment above? Would it be better to take I80? Or should we try to wait the storm out in Denver?

Thanks!
    I80 is considerably lower elevation than I70 at their respective peaks, but still high enough to be nasty. I'd check the regional forecasts. I drove through WY from Denver to SLC when we moved out here. It's shorter by hours as well. I'd say take 80 unless the weather is so bad that you have to take nothing.

Unless it's snowing the day you travel though, you should be ok. They're both major, major interstates and will be maintained.

WestCoastPDR Guest
    Take 80 and bring hibachi express from Wilmington and or a tenderloin biscuit from country BBQ in Greensboro. I'll figure out how to get it the extra 9 hours west.

Fk. Now I want a biscuit

Enjoy the trip and if u take 80 watch out for the crazy bridge to nowhere in Nebraska

Maybe a bit late, Have you ever thought of Reno. Cost of living here pretty cheap(still can get a deal on a season pass) , great skiing close by.

Something to consider if things don’t work out in SLC

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    I80 is considerably lower elevation than I70 at their respective peaks, but still high enough to be nasty. I'd check the regional forecasts. I drove through WY from Denver to SLC when we moved out here. It's shorter by hours as well. I'd say take 80 unless the weather is so bad that you have to take nothing.
    A
    Unless it's snowing the day you travel though, you should be ok. They're both major, major interstates and will be maintained.
    I 80, makes no sense the other way. I know we haveabig storm forecasted but much of what we expect to get is from Orographic lift , lake effect. I have not paid any attention to what is going to happen in Nebraska or Wyoming. I know we expect high winds, if that happens in Wyoming they will almost certainly close 80. Be aware that once you hit Laramie there is not much west of there. If they close 80 I would hunker down in Laramie and wait it out.

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastPDR;

Enjoy the trip and if u take 80 watch out for the crazy bridge to nowhere in Nebraska
    Every exit in NE has a bridge to nowhere.
    Take I-74 up to 80, avoid 65 at all costs.

WestCoastPDR Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Every exit in NE has a bridge to nowhere.
    Take I-74 up to 80, avoid 65 at all costs.
    The pedestrian bridge. Not the off ramps and over passes. Those lead to Meth labs

Get to Denver and make the call on 70 or 80 from there, based on weather. If roads are dry with no traffic I-70 is only about 1hr longer than 80 from Denver and way more scenic. Once you get to Vail its pretty much smooth sailing all the way into UT. Even with moderate weather, I'd rather take 70, since it mostly calms down after Vail Pass. With winds and blowing snow, I80 across WY can be one of the shittiest driving experiences you can have...hours upon hours of white knuckle.

Unrelated, but since this thread has the attention of the SLC locals:

Who is/are the best bootfitters in town? Looking to get new boots next month after a couple of shitty fits here in Ontario. I'm seeing a lot of good rep for Inkline. SLC mags in agreement with that?

I am, but Chris helped me a lot and let me sit around his shop, listening, watching and drinking. So I'm a bit biased.

The did only sell a few brand if boots last time I was back but that may have changed.

Inkline will take care of ya. Or Luke up at Sports Den off foothill

AGGHHH!

Our car window was smashed last night in Denver. They only stole my extra suitcase that had my softshell and work clothes inside. But, we are now delayed until 1 PM when we can get the window fixed.

#$%*ing scumbags.

/end rant

That suck, sorry to hear that, where were you parked?

I was in the parking lot at the Westin in Westminster CO.

They've been as helpful as they can be with cleaning up the glass and giving us free breakfast, but they aren't technically liable for any of the damage.

Car insurance has a $500 deductible and doesn't cover any lost possessions. My renters insurance would have covered the stuff I lost, but, I cancelled it when I moved out of NC on Saturday.

Oh well, #%@ happens.

I was in the parking lot at the Westin in Westminster CO.

They've been as helpful as they can be with cleaning up the glass and giving us free breakfast, but they aren't technically liable for any of the damage.

Car insurance has a $500 deductible and doesn't cover any lost possessions. My renters insurance would have covered the stuff I lost, but, I cancelled it when I moved out of NC on Saturday.

Oh well, #%@ happens.
    That sucks. On the bright side, there is some snow waiting for you in the Wasatch.

Oh, and I took the GMAT yesterday and got a #$@ing 770! Now to write essays...
    Congrats on the move - sorry to hear of the bad luck in Denver. But this tiny nugget needs to be acknowledged... good job. Remember the little people after you're at Harvard or Stanford.

Final update: We made it safely to SLC on Tues night after getting the window replaced. We worked KSL and Craigslist hard yesterday and furnished 95% of our apartment.

Today was our first day out on the slopes. The snow was in great condition on the groomers with some pockets of powder still left. Ballroom opened today for the first time but we were over on Sugarloaf and missed the rope drop.

If you see a silver Prius with NC tags in the Wildcat parking lot, say "hey!".

Final update: We made it safely to SLC on Tues night after getting the window replaced. We worked KSL and Craigslist hard yesterday and furnished 95% of our apartment.

Today was our first day out on the slopes. The snow was in great condition on the groomers with some pockets of powder still left. Ballroom opened today for the first time but we were over on Sugarloaf and missed the rope drop.

If you see a silver Prius with NC tags in the Wildcat parking lot, say "hey!".
    Be safe,

Resurrecting an old thread instead of starting a new one...

Me, the old lady, and baby in tow are heading to SLC and PC over memorial weekend just for fun as we found cheap flights and have never been. I've heard a lot of great things about the area and we actually plan to check out a few neighborhoods in case we want to get serious about moving there. We have most of the trip planned but can't seem to find any good food places to try. Any rec's?

My wife is a dietician and kind of a food snob but we basically like anything that isn't a chain restaurant.

Is the air quality so bad at times that you should literally wear a mask like in China? Every thing I read online makes it sound ungodly bad. Air quality is really my only concern with SLC so just wondering. Living in PC might not be an option depending on job location and how much $$$ we want to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeezeBall View Post

... but can't seem to find any good food places to try. Any rec's?

My wife is a dietician and kind of a food snob but we basically like anything that isn't a chain restaurant.

Is the air quality so bad at times that you should literally wear a mask like in China? Every thing I read online makes it sound ungodly bad. Air quality is really my only concern with SLC so just wondering. Living in PC might not be an option depending on job location and how much $$$ we want to spend.
    In PC hit up one of Bill Whites's places. He basically owns the non-chain restaurant scene. Chimayo is especially good, though $$$.

Air quality in SLC is usually only an issue in Winter when dealing with the inversion...though this winter did not seem to have as many awful (Beijing like) days as the past few years.

PC is not just Deer Crest or The Colony...doesn't have to be as $$$ as you think.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeezeBall View Post

Me, the old lady, and baby in tow are heading to SLC and PC over memorial weekend just for fun as we found cheap flights and have never been. I've heard a lot of great things about the area and we actually plan to check out a few neighborhoods in case we want to get serious about moving there. We have most of the trip planned but can't seem to find any good food places to try. Any rec's?

The air quality problems in salt lake are due to seasonal weather patterns.

Plenty of good local food around. It's been covered in other threads. Downtown: evaslc.com is nice. Blue plate diner in Sugarhouse is a good spot for diner breakfast. In Park City, there are plenty of other options. Food's just great. Del Mar al Lago has Salt Lake and Park City locations now! Killer ceviche!

Also: the commute to downtown Slc from the I-80 neighborhoods of park city is easier than the commute to downtown Slc from much of the 'burbs on the wasatch front, so long as you run snow tires and know how to drive. But don't tell.

Pretty neat to see this thread come back around. We had an incredible time in SLC. I'm now in grad school in CA and can't wait to return once I graduate. The commute to Tahoe, cost of living, and rat race bro attitude in CA is killing me.

Red iguana is a must. I could come up with a list of really foodie places if you like.

Thanks for the suggestions we'll hit a few of these places up!

I ask about air quality because online info and images make it sound dangerous and I don't want my kids to have lung problems just cause I want to be closer to skiing and biking

I'll keep an eye on PC real estate prices off I80. It would be a little over a year if we are to actually move anyways.