Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tech Crampon

Tech Crampon

https://www.wildsnow.com/14513/tech-...echpon-skiing/

http://www.proguiding.com/proski/201...h-crampon.html

Definitely interested to see how well this will work out after more use...

There was some talk about them in gear rumors thread.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...73#post4297173
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Missed that, thanks

Another review here:
    http://offpistemag.com/techcrampon-250-gear-review/
    Neither review mentions that the CAMP Race 290 is only, well, 40 grams heavier, yet avoids this problem:
    "However, on long climbs on steep hard snow I do prefer to traverse, and use the side of my foot. Since the Tech Crampons don’t have many side points they make side hilling tricky and take some getting used to."
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Yes, but these are steel, so where expecting water ice they will be more useful than the CAMP 290

And since the reviews all say it is only useful for moderate snow climbs... take a look at the video on proguiding to see where this could be a very good tool. I agree, that for snow climbs real alu crampons are better. This seems to be lightweight backup assurance if you were to get stuck with a section of WI 2-3

Clever, but I have a hard time imagining a situation in which the energy I save from saving carrying a bit less weight is greater than the energy I save from being able to put my weight on my heel.

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    This seems to be lightweight backup assurance if you were to get stuck with a section of WI 2-3
    Are you really willing to climb WI3... in ski boots....with these??? You never try stand on your mid foot or heel on a WI3 pitch.. when wearing a pack... with skis strapped on the pack....?

They just do not strike me as secure either on the snow, or on your boot... in a variety of situations.

And the situations where they are appropriate would be so narrow that you would be always moments away from not being prepared.

I vote this to be 2015's "tool most likely to be used outside the narrow scope of application for which it is appropriate by people who spend more money on gear than they do time in the terrain."
    Life is not lift served.

I can't tell you how many times I left my crampons in the hotel room and ended up turning back or tip-toe, ballerina slow dancing (and fatiguing) somewhere I shouldn't have been without them. These seem like a good alternate/back-up to have on those tweener days when your less than not sure.

The price point is what is getting me. Seems kinda high. I'm sure I didn't pay much north of 180 for my set of OR Aluminum with a nice bag, how are these pricing at $115. You can't expect to recover years of R&D cost in the first 500 pair. Is uncle Manfred still knocking them out in the basement?
    $45... maybe $60 because there still unique
    ​I am not in your hurry

Given your experience, perhaps you should stop leaving your crampons in the hotel room.

Price point is right.

Not a fan of the design as I mentioned in the other thread because of the reasons that have been brought up here:attachment, inability to use the rest of the foot to relieve stress while climbing.

Hugh Conway Guest
    that wildsnow review is quite a piece of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    The price point is what is getting me. Seems kinda high. I'm sure I didn't pay much north of 180 for my set of OR Aluminum with a nice bag, how are these pricing at $115. You can't expect to recover years of R&D cost in the first 500 pair. Is uncle Manfred still knocking them out in the basement?
    $45... maybe $60 because there still unique
    Agreed. $115 for something so simple and still looks like it was made the guy's garage? Nah, I'll stick with my BD's. I'm sure once he sells a few hundred, the design will be refined and the price might come down. (um titanium version? non stick plates?) I'd let the early adopters fund these changes. Sure would like to see some lock-tight or a more confidence inspiring lock system on those screws too

I think it's a great concept though. Would like to see a similar system for the heel, or maybe a full lightweight crampon that attaches to tech boots.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Agreed. $115 for something so simple and still looks like it was made the guy's garage? Nah, I'll stick with my BD's. I'm sure once he sells a few hundred, the design will be refined and the price might come down. (um titanium version? non stick plates?) I'd let the early adopters fund these changes. Sure would like to see some lock-tight or a more confidence inspiring lock system on those screws too

I think it's a great concept though. Would like to see a similar system for the heel, or maybe a full lightweight crampon that attaches to tech boots.
    Agreed, the concept is super cool, although the execution is still an open question. I just love the idea of a steel "crampon" that compact and packable.

Either way, I'm one of those beta testers, for better or for worse, and I'm going to take them with me in two weeks on a trip to Chile to experiment. I'll let you all know what I think (cuz that's really important, right? ). Gonna take my regular 'pons as well in case these end up being the suck.

I agree, let the early adopters fund the second half.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Cool concept, could come in handy on late season tours. Seems that they could get 'em quite a bit lighter via thinner section, right alloy and heat treat. Would an Al alloy version would work for less technical ground @ roughly half the weight? Is there a patent on these? (I've got some leftover 4130 plate stock awaiting a project.)

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    I agree, let the early adopters fund the second half.
    I agree with all the doubt about the concept, but I think you are all dreaming if you think the retail price point is going to get substantially lower than it is now- maybe, maybe $99, although I doubt it. In general, we all know that the more specialized the gear, the higher the price, and I doubt folks are going to be buying this very specialized piece of gear by the truckload.

Would like to see a similar system for the heel, or maybe a full lightweight crampon that attaches to tech boots.
    That's called the CAMP Race 290, at a weight penalty of only 20 grams per foot, and stowes away very compactly too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1411138597940.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	158359  
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

I would hate the thought of front pointing along worrying that the screw is going to loosen, though if it is tight it won't, right? Side hilling "tricky", I would thick sketchy would be a better way to describe your only secure contact being in front of your big toe.
    Maybe the high price point is to keep BC jongs from buying this if it was only $40 and taking a long sliding fall when they have a slight misstep.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

If you're sidehilling much, use a full 'pon. If you have water ice you should be on steel alloy, so these vs. JS's Camps is apples vs. oranges.

I do a dozen tours a year where an Al alloy version of these would be handy -- e.g., going straight up a couloir in firm conditions in the morning. A mass-produced 7000 series Al alloy version would weigh est. 130g and cost <$15 to make (after initial tooling costs).

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    going straight up
    This is my understanding of it's primary intent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    I agree with all the doubt about the concept, but I think you are all dreaming if you think the retail price point is going to get substantially lower than it is now- maybe, maybe $99, although I doubt it. In general, we all know that the more specialized the gear, the higher the price, and I doubt folks are going to be buying this very specialized piece of gear by the truckload.
    I was just saying that I would like to see a full-plate tech crampon. The toe only thing freaks me out. Although I would top rope some ice in my maestrales with them for kicks.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

What would be the advantage of a full-plate tech 'pon over a currently available (non-tech) step-in 'pon?

I don't see using this.

it's only 40 g lighter than my race 290 crampons, and not as versatile.

the likelihood of needing the steel points and feeling secure with just the front points is not very high.

the only time the aluminum crampons will not work is on hard ice, and I probably not want to be there with such a minimal setup.