Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tech Crampon

Shaxe sled building instructions...

^ Oh, okay, thanks, I stand corrected -- and I now see that the K2 website mentions that rescue sled capability of the Shaxe.

So if I'm understanding this correctly:

- Rescue Shovel = kind of their baseline model (need to buy hardware separately for rescue sled)

- Rescue Shovel Plus = what I have, with the attachment hardware already included for rescue sled

- Speed Shovel = saves a mere 15g & $10 compared to the Rescue Shovel, but loses the hoe mode and rescue sled

- Shaxe = So as has been discussed in various reviews, the shovel shaft's grip can be swapped out for an ice axe head, which apparently is secure enough for a B rating (unlike the Ortovox self-arrest tool). But in that diagram, I'm still confused about how the shaft has the hardware going through it to connect the ski tails? Maybe you could post a picture of yours?
    (I know, I should have asked for an in-person demo on Saturday, but I didn't even realize it could be done...)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

So here's a crude mock-up on skis with no holes. Essentially the axe / shovel shaft has two through holes for bolts, and the shovel has a pair of holes at each end of the blade. The photo angle increases it, but the set up is pretty wedge shaped. I have zero sled experience, but I would guess that if you offset the ski holes at the tails, and flipped the shovel at the front to use two wider holes you'd be closer to parallel, and have a more effective set up?

^ Super, thanks!
    (Seems to be the only demonstration anywhere on the internet of how the Shaxe forms a rescue sled.)
    So the holes in the shaft seem to be positioned at the plug for the spike and then again near the attachment for the swappable ice axe head vs shovel grip?
    As for the wedge, all the various rescue sleds we've constructed have been parallel or fairly close. A wedge might be advantage for breaking power going downhill. On the flats it would seem to be less efficient, but anything is going to be a long slog out...
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Yes, just as you thought, at the lower hole the plug looks to be integrated with bushings for the hole, and the upper hole is where the steel pin attaches either shovel handle or axe head. The shaft / shovel blade connection is that other hole (non-through) at the bottom.

The Shaxe has arrived and it looks good
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know