Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tech Crampon

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    What would be the advantage of a full-plate tech 'pon over a currently available (non-tech) step-in 'pon?
    Possible weight, size, security reduction. (Possible, as in maybe)
    the only time the aluminum crampons will not work is on hard ice, and I probably not want to be there with such a minimal setup.
    Aluminum vs Steel? One word, "Rocks"

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Possible weight, size, security reduction. (Possible, as in maybe)
    Weigh savings, if any, would be marginal. Toe bail vs. tech system would be about the same weight, no? Heel would require standard lever to provide stability sufficient for what rigid 'pons are used for. If you are on terrain that would go with a 'pon with JS's tech heel plug-in, you don't need full plate 'pons.

Re Al alloy vs. steel, as I posted on another thread, we have no fewer than 6 pairs of 'pons in our gear room, 3 Al + 3 steel, and the steel 'pons have not gotten out of our gear room in 10+ years. I have 100+ days on my Al alloy Stubai Ultralights where I have encountered some walking on rock, talus, scree or rock debris on glacier ice -- some days lots of it -- and they have held up great. Steel for frontpointing ice and for technical mixed routes? Sure. Al alloy works fine for everything else.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    the only time the aluminum crampons will not work is on hard ice, and I probably not want to be there with such a minimal setup.
    the likelihood of getting to hard water ice with these seems low. but I guess if you are a core TGR'er out slaying everything day in day out, all of this really matters to the perceived need of an internet product. 2 or 4 ozs seems worth it for a far more versatile product.

I don't understand the obsession over steel crampons on here. We are skiers, we are walking up bloody snow slopes, if you encounter 20ft of hard ice, or 5 mins of easy mixed terrain while in your au crampons you are not gonna instantly die.

Steel for full on climbing, yes, but alu is perfectly good for lighter duty...including short stints of rock and ice!

A friend of mine, who climbs harder and more than all us lot on here, tested some alu grivels for a summer of chamonix alpine climbing a few seasons ago, he climbed on them constantly and eventually wore the points down to little 1cm nubbins, but he didn't die, and it took him literally 10,000's of meters of hard hard alpine mixed climbing.

These little tech toe crampons would be sick in an alu 'just incase' option, but right now don't offer significant weight saving over a light alu crampon which is much much safer and more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    I don't understand the obsession over steel crampons on here.
    They're called "pons" Rob.

Rob nailed it. If you look at actual use you'll note that 95%+ of the time experienced mountain climbers on 95%+ of routes are on Al alloy crampons.

Per Hugh, TGR steel crampon bias may well derive from armchair alpinists fantasizing about climbing waterfall ice like the skinny guys in the climbing magazines. If you aint doing sustained frontpointing on ice Al alloy crampons are all ya need.

Nice new product.
    - Locking system should be easier and quicker
    - I'm also thinking about attaching ascent plates that you could secure in the heel just like those Camp 290 crampons..

Seems like the kind of thing that'd be handy to jog up the Pointe Alphonse Favre or the Col du Passon on those mornings when it was a little colder overnight than you were expecting. If I find myself with a spare hundred quid this winter, I'll happily guinea pig on them.
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

And now the perfect companion to the Tech Crampon...

And now the companion to the Tech Crampon -- "is that an ice axe pick and spike in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

Although usually tucked away in your backpack or pants pocket (hence the name), the POCKET SPIKE can quickly be retrieved in tense situations [...]
    http://www.ortovox.com/3670-pocket-spike-4.html

http://www.ortovox.com/3670-pro-alu-...t-spike-3.html

So 3.4 oz incremental weight for pick & spike, or 7.4 oz for an entire B-rated axe:
    http://skimo.co/camp-corsa-ice-axe

And overall, just under two pounds for the entire shovel + ice axe-esque device, or under a pound and a half for that CAMP axe and this shovel:
    http://skimo.co/arva-plume-shovel
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    And now the companion to the Tech Crampon -- "is that an ice axe pick and spike in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"
    I've been waiting to check this thing out in the flesh, since I have a Pro III shovel already. Could be a nice option for those "maybe I'll need an axe" days. €50 in a few online shops right now.

Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Even though that K2 combo is heavier than a separate shovel and axe, at least you get a real B-rated axe.

This Ortovox tool looks very innovative, but for self-arrest the pick if anything seems worse than a BD Whippet or Grivel Condor?
    (For self-belay, the Ortovox spike seems like it *should* be better ... I think?)

AND you get parts to build a rescue sled, I have an old voile mini and I am thinking of upgrading to the Shaxe

AND you get parts to build a rescue sled, I have an old voile mini and I am thinking of upgrading to the Shaxe
    I've had students use my K2 rescue shovel (pre-Shaxe) at some courses -- seems to work fairly well:

I'm not planning to buy it. But tip-o-the-cap for innovation. This is pretty cool in my book. Would be great for volcano tours when I don't really plan to use axe or shovel but bring them just in case.

Tech Crampon

I received a Shaxe as a gift, weights from my scale:
    Shovel 675g
    Axe 380g
    Everything 860g
    So as it was previously mentioned, about 300g more than a separate shovel and axe.

Just me worrying about loosing the axe and then needing the shovel? Could see this happening booting up a couloir, getting caught by an avalanche and then need to dig up my friends..

Quote Originally Posted by Moralkaka View Post
    Just me worrying about loosing the axe and then needing the shovel? Could see this happening booting up a couloir, getting caught by an avalanche and then need to dig up my friends..
    Booting up a couloir wouldn't happen on a "maybe I should bring an axe" day. Real axe for that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Moralkaka View Post
    Leash

Even though that K2 combo is heavier than a separate shovel and axe, at least you get a real B-rated axe.)
    I ordered one, for 129$ an axe and shovel seems like a good deal but I am not understanding the weight thing?

http://www.earnyourturns.com/21596/first-look-k2-shaxe/

Buddy^^ is talking about 998gms off the shelf which sounds lighter than most combined axe & shovel weights I have looked up??

How about if you needed to build an anchor with the axe? Oops! Now I need a handle for my shovel. There could be a lot of downfalls, but to have it as a backup is probably pretty nice. Could be good to have as a second axe after you use the first in an anchor too.

The less you carry to cut weight, the more you are gonna have to compromise I guess.

I don't own an axe now and my shovel is a shitty little thing I should upgrade so now I have a decent axe and a decent shovel and rescue sled HW for 129$ ... seems like a good idea

I don't own an axe now and my shovel is a shitty little thing I should upgrade so now I have a decent axe and a decent shovel and rescue sled HW for 129$ ... seems like a good idea

Yup, good idea.

I ordered one, for 129$ an axe and shovel seems like a good deal but I am not understanding the weight thing?

http://www.earnyourturns.com/21596/first-look-k2-shaxe/

Buddy^^ is talking about 998gms off the shelf which sounds lighter than most combined axe & shovel weights I have looked up??
    Comparison of course depends on the baseline, but for a B-rated piolet of the same length (50cm) and with a better spike, as light as 250g:
    http://skimo.co/camp-corsa-nanotech-ice-axe

The lightest shovels (with a metal blade of course) range from 302g (ARVA Ultra) to ~500 (ARVA, BCA, Voile):
    http://skimo.co/compare-avy-shovels

Could even combine that CAMP ice axe with the same K2 shovel at 700g while coming in slightly under the total Shaxe weight:
    http://k2skis.com/tools/speed-shovel
    Edit: my original parenthetical aside (and now also italicized) below appears to be incorrect, sorry!
    (Note that the shovel that comes with the Shaxe doesn't have any advantages for a rescue sled -- the key to the K2 rescue shovel is that the shaft has holes that are set up to act as connector bars for the victim's ski tips and tails.)
    Last edited by Jonathan S.; 10-27-2014 at 09:13 AM.

ok I was just looking at weights on MEC but of course its hard to know exactly what I am comparing but I still think its a good idea