Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Wow, unexpected love for the NAD. I've got one sitting in the closet and if I ever move to a place to set up all the rest of my 70-80's gear it may enjoy another run.

Not an audophile setup but if you want something reasonable cost (new) and simple: Audiosource AMP-100.

Quote Originally Posted by bl2000 View Post
    ...For those speakers, I HIGHLY recommend you also get a graphic equalizer, probably a 10-bander or so.
    Belay that order. Nuke it. No offense, but graphic EQs are banned from use in music studios for a reason. The nasty resonance that such a unit can fix in your car will knock the crap out of the music you hear at home.

No, use careful speaker placement and time alignment to minimize room issues, then try room treatments. Or get a good software parametric EQ if necessary...less damage.

Quote Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post
    Belay that order. Nuke it. No offense, but graphic EQs are banned from use in music studios for a reason. The nasty resonance that such a unit can fix in your car will knock the crap out of the music you hear at home.

No, use careful speaker placement and time alignment to minimize room issues, then try room treatments. Or get a good software parametric EQ if necessary...less damage.
    I disagree in the context we were discussing - the OP's old speakers. I used a nice Audio Control 10-bander that had minimal (unnoticeable) negative impact on my then-system. I eventually outgrew the need for it or any equalization including bass/treble control. I also tried it on my mom's system's speakers, which are a lot like the OP's and it made a dramatic improvement.

The OP hasn't weighed in since the first post, btw.
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

These sound awesome and are hard to beat, especially for the price. Kind of a secret among cheapo audiophiles.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ifier--300-330
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

RE: Graphic EQs

Quote Originally Posted by bl2000 View Post
    I disagree in the context we were discussing - the OP's old speakers. I used a nice Audio Control 10-bander that had minimal (unnoticeable) negative impact on my then-system. I eventually outgrew the need for it or any equalization including bass/treble control. I also tried it on my mom's system's speakers, which are a lot like the OP's and it made a dramatic improvement.
    I hear you. Audio Control isn't expensive but has a quality standard for budding musicians, so a step up from cheapest units. Given the OP's uses, it probably wouldn't hurt if he were careful. I just try to warn people from making a bad habit of using EQ unless they really understand its limitations, and definitely to avoid old, cheap, or noisy units, especially graphic ones. But now there is digital processing in almost all home theater gear so he won't likely have a need for any outboard unit. The digital gear will be quieter too.

If the OP's still out there, he can find a used Parasound Zamp (30-45wpc) that is much better than the old NAD. But he'd need to use another volume control, probably on a DAC.

looking for just an amp or will a receiver do? You can find some great deals on some very nice 1970's receivers if you look around, lots of them get tossed or put on CL. I've even saved a few from the recycling pile in perfect working order just because they were too nice to see scrapped.
    Nothing wrong with using an equalizer if you think it makes it sound better, I have two (one graphic, one parametric) on two of my systems and I would love to say I can hear noise they produce but I can't, My ears aren't that good I guess. They're usually bypassed (and tone controls turned off) but are great for making poorly recorded tapes listenable, one also gives me an extra set of inputs I use for TV.

How does the NAD do with dubstep, or should I invest in a tube amp?

University was an offshoot of Altec, bet those sound quite nice!

+1 on the 3020, perfect synergy for these speakers.

Are you looking for just an amp (meaning you have a pre-amp)? If not, you need an integrated amp (has a volume knob) or receiver (an integrated amp with a tuner built in)

Remember, these older speakers are more efficient than most new ones and they will amplify flaws in the amp you use or just sound too harsh. Amps from the 60's and 70's tend to be "warmer" sounding. What they lack in resolution they make up for in sweet, easy to listen to sound.

If you are diligent you can find cool 1970's Japanese receivers & amps that would have that "warm" sound these speakers need. There are a lot of people looking for the good ones so you have to work at it to get a good one cheap. An old Fisher 500c would sound good too but good ones are getting expensive, I just sold mine and was surprised. Goodwill / Thriftstore type places, garage / estate sales & Craigslist are often good places to get one from people that think they are just old.

A quick search of Idaho craigslist found:
    https://boise.craigslist.org/ele/4675712820.html
    https://boise.craigslist.org/ele/4679725446.html
    https://boise.craigslist.org/ele/4679721197.html
    https://boise.craigslist.org/ele/4650192860.html

Also important, vintage amps may need a lot of work. Caps and other parts dry out and corrode over time. I threw my 3020 away last year because it needed to be restored and I didn't have the patience for it. At the minimum expect to spend some time with some deoxit cleaning up all the contacts and stuff.

Poke around here for a bit and you'll get the idea.

http://mail.audiokarma.net/forums/fo...play.php?f=128

Like skis, you can buy something interesting in good shape, take care of it and sell or buy something different if you want without losing much money (or sometimes make money). Careful, it can get addicting. You may be looking for a turntable and some vinyl soon.
    Last edited by stearnsn; 09-26-2014 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesmith7 View Post
    Wow, unexpected love for the NAD. I've got one sitting in the closet and if I ever move to a place to set up all the rest of my 70-80's gear it may enjoy another run.
    The phono section is much of what made these such "giant killers". If you give yours a go be sure to play some vinyl. The "soft clipping" switch was also key to mellow the sound on vintage speakers.

Update. Picked up an old JVC JR-S100 at a thrift store for $30. The setup sounds really good to these untrained ears.

or you could do something really simple like I did....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0687.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	635.0 KB 
ID:	158755

On wheels? Very cool mate.

Do you do bar mitzvahs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    On wheels? Very cool mate.

Do you do bar mitzvahs?
    rack mounted Spectro-Phuckin'-Acoustics.

I prefer bat mitzvahs actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Update. Picked up an old JVC JR-S100 at a thrift store for $30. The setup sounds really good to these untrained ears.
    Nice job. Don't forget to get some Deoxit and, at the minimum, give the jacks and plugs you are using a good cleaning. Also, even though the receiver has 20WPC & your speakers are rated for 40 doesn't mean you an turn it to "11". If it starts clipping it will tear those 50 year old drivers up. Back off before you hear distortion.

If you have any decent FM stations, give that a try, it can sound fantastic.

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by stearnsn View Post
    University was an offshoot of Altec, bet those sound quite nice!

+1 on the 3020, perfect synergy for these speakers.

Are you looking for just an amp (meaning you have a pre-amp)? If not, you need an integrated amp (has a volume knob) or receiver (an integrated amp with a tuner built in)

Remember, these older speakers are more efficient than most new ones and they will amplify flaws in the amp you use or just sound too harsh. Amps from the 60's and 70's tend to be "warmer" sounding. What they lack in resolution they make up for in sweet, easy to listen to sound.

If you are diligent you can find cool 1970's Japanese receivers & amps that would have that "warm" sound these speakers need. There are a lot of people looking for the good ones so you have to work at it to get a good one cheap. An old Fisher 500c would sound good too but good ones are getting expensive, I just sold mine and was surprised. Goodwill / Thriftstore type places, garage / estate sales & Craigslist are often good places to get one from people that think they are just old.

A quick search of Idaho craigslist found:
    https://boise.craigslist.org/ele/4675712820.html
    https://boise.craigslist.org/ele/4679725446.html
    https://boise.craigslist.org/ele/4679721197.html
    https://boise.craigslist.org/ele/4650192860.html

Also important, vintage amps may need a lot of work. Caps and other parts dry out and corrode over time. I threw my 3020 away last year because it needed to be restored and I didn't have the patience for it. At the minimum expect to spend some time with some deoxit cleaning up all the contacts and stuff.

Poke around here for a bit and you'll get the idea.

http://mail.audiokarma.net/forums/fo...play.php?f=128

Like skis, you can buy something interesting in good shape, take care of it and sell or buy something different if you want without losing much money (or sometimes make money). Careful, it can get addicting. You may be looking for a turntable and some vinyl soon.
    ^^^This. huge issue. Replacing the caps in 20+ year old power amps is a small industry. If it's a Krell or similar this may set you back a couple grand. So try before you buy. Don't buy something sound unheard.