Thread: Taint spanker?

Taint spanker?

After much deliberation I bought a 150mm KS supernatural over the X-fusion HILO. Then I read a bunch more specific reviews of the KS and read about servicing the cartridge, and I feel like I may have made a mistake. Does anyone here have experience with the KS? Was it good? Should I return it and never look back?
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

I've got a lev DX that worked great, didn't, got it warrantied, and now has worked great all summer since. I've now used it more since the warranty work than I did before so whatever they did with that model seems to be solid. I imagine there would be even fewer problems with the supernatural since it pulls the cable from the top and doesn't rely on the weird internal string doohickey that the other ones do. Just ride it and see what happens. For what it's worth, my warranty turnaround was pretty painless. It took a little while but I think they were getting a flood of returns when I sent mine back.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I have a Lev 125mm and besides a little creaking it has been nothing but awesome. No issues, no service after 1.5 years of use.

I have two KS-Lev's, one has been rock solid so far, another I've sent back 3 times. I don't think they stock enough replacement parts, if they have them they seem to turnaround pretty quickly, if there stuck on the boat from China, you better have a backup post, cause your gonna be waiting for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    I have a Lev 125mm and besides a little creaking it has been nothing but awesome. No issues, no service after 1.5 years of use.
    Exactly this. Except I have an i950

The cartridge being non serviceable freaks me out. I dig the x-fusion design because it's totally user serviceable, that and I like to tinker.

The supernatural is serviceable, there's instructions on mtbr somewhere. I have an original i950R, same post. Five years on it now, one rebuild, works flawlessly. Great post, keep it.

Everyone I've known who's had the HiLo hated it and had constant problems with it.

I've had both the supernatural and the LEV and really like both of them. I only find 2 problems with the Supernatural;
    1) on some bikes, having the cable attachment at the top can make it tricky to find a good marriage between the cable and the seat collar clamp and the rear linkage and the rear wheel. On my wifes bike, the rear wheel rubs on the cable when the post is down and over time will wear through. I put a couple zip ties in the wear spot and that works better than tape.
    2) the Supernatural does not tolerate mud very well. Twice, my wife's supernatural has seized up while riding in pissing rain at Pisgah because the top release mech gets grit in it. It doesn't actually affect the internals of the post. To fix it, I douche the mech with chain oil and/or run it under a faucet. Good to go.
    3) I know I said 2, but this is minor. The post is a bit "cable sensitive". If it's not working great, it's probably just a gummed up or stretched out cable. I can replace the cable and housing on mine in 20 min and 90% of the time the thing feels like new again. It's quick. It's easy. It's cheap.

The LEV doesn't have either of the above problems. You can have a problem with the kevlar string loosening. You should also learn how to take the post apart because getting in there and greasing it up is good. Also, Kindshock doesn't service the cartridges, and maybe doesn't know how. If you send a post back, they just swap out a new cartridge. However, my buddy Chris has posted up this thread on MTBR on how to service the cartridge:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/...ld-899659.html
    It's really not that hard, and if you run into any problems shoot him a PM on MTBR and he'll walk you through it.

Finstah Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Also, Kindshock doesn't service the cartridges, and maybe doesn't know how. If you send a post back, they just swap out a new cartridge. However, my buddy Chris has posted up this thread on MTBR on how to service the cartridge.
    KS doesn't know how to service their own cartridges, but your buddy Chris does?

I have substantial time on both the HiLo and a KS lev DX. The HiLo worked ok, but sometimes it would migrate down and need to be cycled a few times to stay firm. The stationary cable mount of the Lev is much nicer than the HiLo as well, so you're not buzzing through housing on your rear wheel when the bike goes deep in it's travel, but I believe the Supernatural routes up under the seat like a HiLo so you still may encounter that.

Quote Originally Posted by Finstah View Post
    KS doesn't know how to service their own cartridges, but your buddy Chris does?
    most likely KS finds it somehow easier/cheaper/quicker to just replace a cartridge

Another vote in the "I've used KS posts for about 4 years, never had to service anything" camp.

Is it normal to have a little fore-aft play in the KS post? Or any dropper?

PM Powtron
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    but jed wants to tinker
    I'm guilty of getting my head right and taking shit apart.

Quote Originally Posted by powbmps View Post
    Is it normal to have a little fore-aft play in the KS post? Or any dropper?
    How much is a little? I've got this years 125 Lev and it's got no play at all in the post. I would suspect that no play at all would be the norm but I'm not sure how much play would be too much play.

Only thing I had serious issues with is the recourse cable it came with. That kept snapping at the post connection. There's no set screw, it just loops through the trigger and the lunch point is sharp enough to cut the cable after a few rides. Finally gave up on it and swapped it out for a regular cable and it works great.

Seems like there's a little lateral movement but not much. Anybody ever convert the lever model to remote? Haven't ridden it yet just around the yard but it seems like I may want to convert.

Yeah I did that it's easy as pie and definitely worth it, just have to get the kit. After going from lever to remote, I'd say it's not even worth it to run a dropper if it doesn't have a remote. You'll use it 10X more with a remote and that's the point. Makes riding so much more fun.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

That's disappointing to hear about the HiLo.
    Stupid question: does the dropper post absorb shock like a carbon post can? Riding a hardtail.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

No.

Darn5678
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.