Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    spook Guest

Barkley defends it, Carter decries it, but studies show spanking can change brain

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/09/15/charles-barkley-defends-it-cris-carter-decries-it-but-studies-show-spanking-can-change-brain-chemistry/?tid=collaborative_1.0_strip_1

Children who are spanked don’t have the option to flee or fight – they must submit to the pain and violence without grabbing, blocking, or defending against the assault to their body. Corporal punishment triggers the release of cortisol.
    Having elevated levels of cortisol for a short period of time is okay, but if this fear response is experienced repeatedly it can damage a young brain and lead to diseased neural networks. Researchers also say that repeated elevations of cortisol can result in a child becoming [de]sensitized to fear, making it easier for them to experience danger and pain and normalize abnormal behavior. Think about how many adults who were hit as children can’t remember the trauma and fear they actually felt at the time but say that being hit was a “good” for them because they’ve only held onto the rationalizations used to justify the violence against them.

I remember my mother spanking me once. She had me over her knees and I was laughing my head off. I seem to recall she burst a couple blood vessels in her hand. She never spanked me again. Still makes me smile thinking about it.

How about soap? Is soap bad? A good friend of mine figures she drank a whole bottle of Palmolive dish soap - her mother would squirt it in her and her siblings mouths when they sassed her or used foul language.

This week in news:

Beating Women is bad
    Beating kids is bad

Next week we will cover racism and maybe rape.

How about employees? I've got who needs a smack for real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

spook Guest
    if the kid on kid violence is a bigger against a smaller all the time i'm sure it fucks kids up because the parents basically condone it. my dad spanked me a lot and he would do it until i cried and if i tried not to cry he kept spanking until i cried and if he thought i was faking it he spanked me until it was real. my mom spanked me once and i laughed so she got a belt and i kept laughing until i banged my head on the table and she quit and said wait til you dad gets home.

spook Guest
    this is amazing. a solid majority in favor of spanking regardless of party, race, region, religion. even more amazing: born again christians 15 percentage points more likely to support spanking than anybody else.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/a...-and-religion/

let's hear it for everybody, but especially for dumbass white trash with a bible.

I'm not a fan of spaking, nor do I feel it constitutes abuse in any way.
    However, the Peterson case isn't about spanking. Or corporal punishment.
    He used a switch, or tree branch. He left welts on the poor kids nuts. Doctors later said some wounds were consistent with the use of an extension cord. It's not the first time, but a pattern of abuse.
    He should be locked up, and when released, then he should be subject to classes, etc. The NFL needs to tell him to fuck off and go somewhere else.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Wearing my Chuck Foreman jersey and agree, go away Beaterson.

Sorry Spook, shit that sounds rough.

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander#2 View Post
    Right? No one should have to go through that.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I remember my mother spanking me once. She had me over her knees and I was laughing my head off. I seem to recall she burst a couple blood vessels in her hand. She never spanked me again. Still makes me smile thinking about it.

How about soap? Is soap bad? A good friend of mine figures she drank a whole bottle of Palmolive dish soap - her mother would squirt it in her and her siblings mouths when they sassed her or used foul language.
    Ha! Same experience. My mom was wailing away and I was laughing. Mom spanking- one and done!

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander#2 View Post
    Wearing my Chuck Foreman jersey and agree, go away Beaterson.

i know it wasn't rough compared to what some kids go through, but the psychological impact and the impact on the relationship is devastating when you're kid. we're cool now but he's changed a lot and i've let a lot go but now that i have a kid it has heightened my understanding of the impact. i could never hit my son. regardless of whether it's a switch or a hand, the only thing the child understands is that his dad -- one of the closest people to him in life -- or not -- is angry and hitting him. personally i think if an adult can't control his anger enough or desensitization enough to not hit a child than he or she should not have children.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    He used a switch, or tree branch. He left welts on the poor kids nuts. Doctors later said some wounds were consistent with the use of an extension cord. It's not the first time, but a pattern of abuse.
    He should be locked up, and when released, then he should be subject to classes, etc. The NFL needs to tell him to fuck off and go somewhere else.
    have you looked up "corporal punishment" in a dictionary? hitting in any manner is clearly corporal punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    i know it wasn't rough compared to what some kids go through, but the psychological impact and the impact on the relationship is devastating when you're kid. we're cool now but he's changed a lot and i've let a lot go but now that i have a kid it has heightened my understanding of the impact. i could never hit my son. regardless of whether it's a switch or a hand, the only thing the child understands is that his dad -- one of the closest people to him in life -- or not -- is angry and hitting him. personally i think if an adult can't control his anger enough or desensitization enough to not hit a child than he or she should not have children.
    Even though you probably deserved it?

Corporal punishment is for lazy parents in today's 1st world. Fear of physical harm from a loved one really shouldn't be used as a motivator IMO. I also think that the idea that it is ok to initiate violence if you are right/ Have the power is a dangerous concept. This is backed up by a lot of data. Sweden has outlawed all spanking etc for a while. It will be interesting to see the results.

30 years ago no one would bat an eye. I think it raises an interesting argument of how we judge people in different eras. 100 years ago EVERYONE hit their kids with implements. In the third world kids are still beaten regularly. Are they all monsters?

Lack of discipline is why it sucks to be a teacher now. Parents send their out of control undisciplined brats to public school and it's chaos with no recourse.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Lack of discipline is why it sucks to be a teacher now. Parents send their out of control undisciplined brats to public school and it's chaos with no recourse.
    Similar to the workplace?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Similar to the workplace?
    I have good luck hiring 50 y/o's. My one millennial (with Chinese parents) is excellent.

We never spanked, but we were hard asses. We did the timeout thing. I was against it at first- thought it was touchy feely bullshit, but my ex insisted. It worked. Soon enough, all I had to do was tell my kid to stop doing something or they'd get a timeout and that was it. I see kids in public now acting like animals and I think, "Man, my kid would have NEVER thought of acting like that." And it was all because of consistent, fair punishment. They knew mom and dad didn't give idle threats. When you got "the look", you knew if you kept going your play time was over.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    They knew mom and dad didn't give idle threats..
    Thank you for not crumbling after five minutes and a whimper.

yeah parenting advise from the loud mound of round - excellent - i wouldn't let him watch my goldfish let alone take parenting advice from him

spook Guest
    i didn't learn discipline from being spanked. i learned anger and self-loathing. i learned discipline from wrestling, which has rules. i was in maybe 4 fights my entire life, all in self defense. i have never hit anybody in my life otherwise and i only swung 3 punches in those fights because i had them all wrapped up in about 30 seconds when i got a little bigger. and after that, nobody fucked with me for the rest of my life because i knew what i could do and had no fear and when you look at most people who want to fuck with you without an ounce of fear, they usually think twice about what they want. i was a teacher's kid, had utmost respect for teachers and was a near 4.0 student -- serious athlete with no absences, no parties. never snuck out of the house. never did drugs. honors college, athletic academic scholarship, graduated with honors, etc.

my kid will never be an ounce of trouble to his teachers because he is learning respect for all things.

but i would never work for somebody who runs their business the way you do, so there's that.

this is amazing. a solid majority in favor of spanking regardless of party, race, region, religion. even more amazing: born again christians 15 percentage points more likely to support spanking than anybody else.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/a...-and-religion/

let's hear it for everybody, but especially for dumbass white trash with a bible.
    Not a fan of spanking, but watching CNN this morning I learned that black men spank their kids because of whites and slavery. Who knew? Someone should tell the other spankers of different ethnicities.
    I still call it The Jake.

4.0 student -- serious athlete with no absences, no parties. never snuck out of the house. never did drugs. honors college, athletic academic scholarship, graduated with honors, etc.

but i would never work for somebody who runs their business the way you do, so there's that.
    You have had a job? You still hide behind your disability with self loathing.

Fear is a great motivator. Sounds like it worked for your parents with regard to education.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    and the vikings should be embarrassed to let him play - nfl and vikings are scum.

spook Guest
    You have had a job? You still hide behind your disability with self loathing.

Fear is a great motivator. Sounds like it worked for your parents with regard to education.
    considering how much i have written about it i doubt i am hiding behind anything and as difficult as things are, i don't suffer from self-loathing. i suffer from feeling too much and being psychologically paralyzed, which is typical when you've had your mind exploded and your heart broken repeatedly in a short time at a young age by death. and yes, i have had a job. i was always considered among the most reliable and most dedicated until my issues had destroyed my capacity to deal with the regular bullshit from people over time -- in and out of work. fear had nothing to do with my regard for education. it had to do with seeing all the asshole parents and media telling teachers they weren't worth the money when almost every teacher i knew -- and i knew a lot of them -- worked their asses off. that and i was extremely competitive.

my dad escaped exceptionally poor white trashdom by shutting himself down to the many abuses he suffered and he knew nothing better, so i have gone from resenting him and loathing myself to forgiving him and accepting myself over time because he suffered so much and now so have i. but nothing constructive came from getting spanked and i won't forget it.