Thread: Look Px12....

Look Px12....

Does the gliding AFD on the black/white model cause performance difference versus the teflon fixed AFD on the blue/green model???

Just wondering as former is way cheaper.

I'm aware that the most of the TGR community is above the px12 and would only ride a pivot, but I'm sorry I'm not riding a binding with a turntable on it...

I've skied both styles. I don't really think either way is noticeably better or worse, Marker still uses a similar style on there jesters/duke. I do think the sliding AFD is less durable. (more moving parts).

In theory the sliding AFD offers slightly more a consistent release. Especially if your boot sole is rubber or your AFD is dirty. In practice, it makes the binding a tiny bit less rigid and less durable. Given the choice (at the same price), I'd take the fixed AFD. But I wouldn't pay extra for it.

Same holds true for Marker, Salomon, Tyrolia, etc.

Sliding=more consistent release, but a mechanical device under your foot (less ski feel). Could break.

Teflon=durable, more ski feel, less consistency in release.

Yeah I think I'm gonna go with the px12/axial2-120 w/ fixed Teflon AFD.

High-speed riding on Griffons never felt quite right (regardless of ski) compared to the px12, so I'll just go with that.

Would go with STH2 WTR 16 no prob, except for wide-ass tie wings that will contact snow on the 88 mm ski these are going on when inclinated.

PM sent ...
    That Don't Make No Sense

I was wondering the same thing recently, my old pair of axial 2s never broke but I have snapped the afd off the p15s a few times, that was mounted on plates but there doesn't seem to be much holding it on there. All Rossi bindings feel pretty consistent too me.

AFD plated can can also be easily swapped. I have done this to numerous PX's and older Pivot 10/12's. FWIW, the Sth16 AFD's back to older 957/997/900 metal stanton toes too.
    Click. Point. Chute.