Shoulder just Dislocated on a.... Sneeze

It was a pretty violent sneeze, but it fucking sucked. Painful. I'm allergic to doctors so I thought I'd ask if anyone has experienced anything similar. I'd assume so, because there sure are a lot of random opinions on the web and this has affected me since I took a really hard swing playing baseball as a kid.

It used to come out while I slept from time to time and almost always goes back in right after. Are these just loose tendons, or do I need to stretch more? Would surgery at some point potentially fix it?

Stretching and seeing doctors are both totally unamerican, right?

Positive vibes to anyone that ever has to tell someone they got injured sneezing, or like, taking a shit or something.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Once a shoulder has been dislocated it may be prone to dislocate repeatedly and easily due to damage to the ligaments around the shoulder--especially for younger people. Stretching more won't prevent disclocation. Surgery is the usual treatment--I can't tell you what the success rate and complication rate is. See an orthopedist if you want to be treated--American or unAmerican doesn't matter. ( I have treated a number of people who have injured themselves shitting--anal fissures. I can't say that telling them was particularly difficult--not like telling someone they have cancer.)

You should see a doctor. Or at least a physical therapist.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Points taken.

Going to see a well regarded physical therapist tomorrow after we had a long chat on the phone. There's really no reason to deal with a shoulder that pops out randomly if I don't have to, thanks for the kick in the ass to get it looked at.

I was |this| close to climbing 5.13 😉, too. Damn.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I dislocated my shoulder going for a high five once. Did it another time going off a diving board showboating for some girls... didn't quite work out for me.

Physio and strength training will definitely help, but you have to be careful patient and diligent. The risk of re-injuring is pretty high, and you and I both know how much of a pain in the ass that is.

If surgery is an option, do it... Especially if you're into climbing or kayaking or any sport where not having your arm securely in it's socket would be the beginning of a really really bad day. I had an arthroscopic surgery on mine and save for some lost flexibility it's pretty much 100%. I was in and out in a couple hours, and I think it was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. A good PT will probably be able to tell just as much as a doctor about your shoulder, unless you go get a CT scan or something.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

get an MRI now...

otherwise you might waste thousands of dollars, and months of your life without knowing what the hell is going on like I did. I think the last time I was pain free was February.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care