Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nuts to put a 10 year old girl on Armada Tantrum 138's as everyday ski?

Is this a poor choice for an everyday driver?
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

100mm under foot ski seems find for a daily driver to me. Thats what lots of us/adults ski on

Why would it NOT be a good option? what are you worried about exactly?

I need to find a 100mm 140cm ski for 8 year old Owen.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Finstah Guest
    Yes, personally I think it is a bad idea. Not so much because of the 100mm waist (although I do think that is a bit too wide for a 10 year old girl as a daily driver) but because the 5 pt sidecut will more-less prevent her from learning to initiate turns through the tip of the ski. Forcing a 10 year old to ski "centered" could easily lead to back seat habits. If you're set on that waist width, maybe look at the Shiro Jr.

Just my opinion. Maybe as a dedicated powder ski though...

Terrible idea. She won't have the power and most likely won't have the ability to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    I need to find a 100mm 140cm ski for 8 year old Owen.
    How on earth could you possibly 'need' to do this.

IMO it's too big as a daily for a 10yr old, unless it snows all the time where ur at. Also, that's a lousy park ski. I would keep the tantrums and get her a skinny ski for farting around. Got my kids powder skis last year, they love powder days now as much as me. If she can carve already, she won't have any issue turning the rockered tantrum.

Greenie must be on the east coast, or not have any kids. My 9 year (extremely tall for her age)old girl was on a pair of 140 Icelantics at 100 at the waist for a whole season and just loved them. Last year at 10 years old she was on 150 cm 90 at the waist and much preferred the icelantics. There are so many variables, though. Depends on the type and style of skiing. You want to train a future racer, sure stick them on skinny race skis and put them in a program. You want your kids ripping around the mountain, and getting that special floating on air feeling, there is nothing wrong with a wider ski...

Quote Originally Posted by Ggreenie View Post
    How on earth could you possibly 'need' to do this.
    Cuz my kid is ready for them. Just cuz you can't ski them doesn't mean he can't.

100mm? Craziest thing I've ever heard on TGR. And I've heard some crazy stuff.

Seriously though. Not sure what all the hullabaloo is. Unless she's competitive mogul skier, why not? My 9 yr old skis a S7 Pro regularly...on the EC.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

100mm would be for a powder ski unless he likes 'em better than his current 80mm daily driver. His AT/tele setup (inserts) is 80mm. Park skis are 70something.

Finstah Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post

Seriously though. Not sure what all the hullabaloo is.
    People offering different opinions on weather a certain ski would be good for a 10 year old is a "hullabaloo?"

Lift line and TGR forum cred will be through the roof with the Tantrums! Unfortunately, using a ski that wide on hardpack could also put undo stress on a rapidly growing young person's hips and knees. And to be honest, promote a shitty skiing technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Finstah View Post
    Unfortunately, using a ski that wide on hardpack could also put undo stress on a rapidly growing young person's hips and knees. And to be honest, promote a shitty skiing technique.
    adult feet closer to 100mm wide, kids feet not really, the cantilevering on the knee would be pretty big, may cause child to avoid edge-seeking

Unfortunately, using a ski that wide on hardpack could also put undo stress on a rapidly growing young person's hips and knees.
    Moreso than landing one's hip on a box rail? I assume you've seen kids in terrain parks?

Finstah Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Moreso than landing one's hip on a box rail? I assume you've seen kids in terrain parks?
    Yes, moreso...

Unless you're talking about crushing yourself on a box rail every-single-turn.

Jeesum, I did not realize this.

I'd better pull my kid's park pass, get him back on the skinny's and doing stem christies. These parks and wide skis sound awful.

Thanks for the heads up Finstah!

I chuckled

Nuts... no, but I think a skinnier ski will be more advantageous to learning how to be a good skier.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Nuts... no, but I think a skinnier ski will be more advantageous to learning how to be a good skier.
    Here we go again.

If that were the case then the 70's must have been the pinnacle of good skier numbers. It's been downhill ever since?

Finstah Guest
    Lift line cred is very important for a lot of kids... and even more important for some parents.

Lift line cred is very important for a lot of kids... and even more important for some parents.
    I make him ski in jeans, a Starter jacket and $20 goggles. Evens it out.

When my stepson was 9-10 we had him on S7 Jr's and he seemed to forget how to carve a turn because those things are just too soft. He is a very powerful skier and can ski everywhere but those things frustrated the hell out of me. Last year (age 11) we put him on some 154 Nordica Fuels 78 waist and he remembered how to carve and could still slarve and ripped the shit out of deep powder when we went west. This year I am back to wanting to score him some powder boards because he is 12 and a big strong kid.

I think 100 is way too wide for a 10 year old girl unless your just skiing pow everyday. For a small person those are going to ski way wider than 100mm. We ski midwest though and my girl is only 4 so what do I know. Buy her those as a pow board but get something else for a daily driver.

And yeah I said carve. My skiing style rarely involves linking more than one turn with the same radius or style but these are kids we are talking about.

Edit to add: If said 10 year old girl is already awesome then whatever. I just had a terrible time coaching my stepson up on skis that wouldn't hold an edge for him. He wanted wide ass pow boards and I might have bought him a pair wider than Nebraska is long had I thought he wouldn't be all sloppy on them.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 09-15-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    When my stepson was 9-10 we had him on S7 Jr's and he seemed to forget how to carve a turn because those things are just too soft. He is a very powerful skier and can ski everywhere but those things frustrated the hell out of me. Last year (age 11) we put him on some 154 Nordica Fuels 78 waist and he remembered how to carve and could still slarve and ripped the shit out of deep powder when we went west. This year I am back to wanting to score him some powder boards because he is 12 and a big strong kid.

I think 100 is way too wide for a 10 year old girl unless your just skiing pow everyday. For a small person those are going to ski way wider than 100mm. We ski midwest though and my girl is only 4 so what do I know. Buy her those as a pow board but get something else for a daily driver.

And yeah I said carve. My skiing style rarely involves linking more than one turn with the same radius or style but these are kids we are talking about.

Edit to add: If said 10 year old girl is already awesome then whatever. I just had a terrible time coaching my stepson up on skis that wouldn't hold an edge for him. He wanted wide ass pow boards and I might have bought him a pair wider than Nebraska is long had I thought he wouldn't be all sloppy on them.
    That's right, because it isn't about whether or not he's having fun, it's about satisfying you.

well, she is awesome. could stand to commit to the parallel turn, but that's about me, not her. we have fun, that's all I want.

this is her...

this is what she wants to do...
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Check with mofro for any kids on skis advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........