Mountaineering pants

I am back into mountaineering since this summer and I am looking for new pants. I'll use them for trips with glacier walking and some mixed climbing but not straight up ice climbing but also hut to hut walks and approaches On the trips I did and will do in the future I don't think I'll have place in my backpack for an extra set of pants so its needs to be a versatile pant. I am looking for a durable waterproof pant with ventilation.
    A friend recommended the Fjallraven Keb trousers. They have their g1000 fabric wich you can wax so it stays waterproof. It also has ventilation so thats good, but I am not shure about that g1000 fabric, any thoughts on that?
    When going for the tech fabric pants from other brands, what is the way to go? Are there softshell pants that are waterproof enough or go for a light and breathing hardshell? Or maybe a climbing pant (zip-off) for when not on the glacier, approach etc in combination with a packable hardshell rain pant thing?
    I'm lost..

From your description of use, I would definitely be looking for full zip. For me that is a 3 layer hardshell and I adapt my base layer to meet the conditions. I like patagonia because I got them cheap at the local outlet and they have replaced them when they wore out. I also have soft shell pants, but if I was looking for one pair of pants I would go hard shell with full zips.

I have been using a pair of Norrøna Trollveggen bib pants for a few years now. I have used them for hiking, regular skiing in the resort, back country, touring etc. They have great fit and does not limit my movement in any way. They have also kept me dry at all times, even in the shitty Norwegian weather with tons of rain. There is plenty of quality zippers to went out air when needed.

The only wear and tear on my pants are from my ski edges. I do think they could be a little more durable regarding this, but I think most pants could.

Edit: I'm using the Gore Tex version. Not the dri3 version, whatever that is.

Mountaineering pants

IMO your better off with softshell pants for summer mtneering 90% of the time. Look for some with good vents and a nice tight cuff so the aren't snagging in crampons.

If you really think you may need hard shell pants then get some cheep light over pants to stuff in the bottom of your pack. My guess is they will stay there.

Ok interesting choice for that Trollvegen bib, thats a pretty heavy duty pant right? Even more heavy than their Lofoten? I've also been thinking about a pant that I could use for mountaineering and ski touring. A Norrona M fits what you would call 'athletic' and with their new gore-tex pro shell that breaths better than the 'older' pro shell it could be a nice option to spread the costs..
    Please keep the infos/opinions coming, ive seen mostly guys like Rob with softshells this summer, but also with hardshells.. Do all people with softshells have a cheap, light and small waterproof hardshell in their backpacks?

^^^^^^ What he said. Any light and breathing hardshell will get torn to shreds pretty quick if you're wearing and carrying sharp things all day, and you need "waterproof" far less than you'd think. Most times I wear hardshell pants is because I'm expecting cold weather and high winds. Don't know anything about Fjallraven stuff.

Edit: Where will you be using these pants? Weather matters.

Since you're in Europe, have a look at the Mountain Equipment Ibex pants. Tough slim fitting mountaineering pants.

To be honest I never bring the over trousers. I only do 1 or 2 day trips though so i look at weather and venture out when the forecast is good.

If you were going for longer trips, or remote areas with no reliable forecast, the over trousers would be a lot more important.

I'm in Europe; Italy, France and Swiss. Hut and or bivacco trips 3-6/7 days. Higher alpine.
    Hardshell pants would be something like a Norrona Lofoten or Mammut Eiger (3 layer gore-tex). Are those really not that durable with sharp objects and rock?? I cant believe people would spend that much money on a high quality hardshell when it wouldnt last some years..
    Nobody with something about those Fjallraven pants? That Keb model looks pretty interesting and might be some sort of mix between a softshell and hardshell pant??
    A quality softshell + waterproof and breathing over pant would be the same price as one 3 layer hardshell but that combo would me more versatile.. I might need to look for some models with air vents that I'll also could use for ski touring.
    Thanks for all responses so far!

+1 to rob stokes re softshells. I have seldom carried hardshell pants for summer mountaineering, which these days does not include the technical stuff I once did but does include lots of glacier travel and a couple week-long high routes each year. If it's raining, I'm either on non-technical ground or in the tent. So why carry hard shell pants?

I have a couple of Fjallraven jackets. They are nice but they are NOT waterproof, even with lots of wax applied, and they are heavy. Best for cold weather scrambling, but too heavy for summer mountaineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambert View Post
    Ok interesting choice for that Trollvegen bib, thats a pretty heavy duty pant right? Even more heavy than their Lofoten? I've also been thinking about a pant that I could use for mountaineering and ski touring. A Norrona M fits what you would call 'athletic' and with their new gore-tex pro shell that breaths better than the 'older' pro shell it could be a nice option to spread the costs..
    Please keep the infos/opinions coming, ive seen mostly guys like Rob with softshells this summer, but also with hardshells.. Do all people with softshells have a cheap, light and small waterproof hardshell in their backpacks?
    It's a solid pair of pants, for sure. And if you are to only use it during the summer, probably isn't the best choice. I can see how soft shell pants do better in the summer, for some people. I like the pants to protect against wind and rain (and believe me, if you are to be a lot in the mountains, it will rain. Why else would it be glaciers there?) If it's not really windy or rainy, I simply prefer a pair of shorts that will cover past the knee, and keep the hard shell in the backpack.

Another vote for softshell. I've a pair of OR Cirques that I've worn early spring and summer touring, spring alpine ice, and even colder alpine rock. They're great and won't break the bank. Another climbing partner swears by the BD Dawn Patrol, not sure which ones. Rab does some solid softshells as well. Unless you're climbing dripping waterfall ice in the winter or overnighting in a tent or bivy, forget hardshells. If you want to carry a light hardshell layer check out CAMP.

Ok so softshells.. I have looked at some softshell pants..cant figure out what is best.. With gore-tex I know all the differences etc but wow there are a lot of different softshells out there and its hard to find any detailed info..
    Anyone who can school me or is it all pretty much the same?

I hear Lulu Lemon has some new mountaineering spants (half way between shorts and pants) that may not technically be any good, but they will make your ass look amazeballs! Pair them with a pair of technicoloured Smartwool socks and you will be mega warm*

*as long as it's at least 20 degrees C and sunny
    I like huge dumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambert View Post
    Ok so softshells.. I have looked at some softshell pants..cant figure out what is best.
    Go to a store with a selection, check them out and try them on. Get something with stretch and avoid the lightest weight (which are prone to tearing and shredding). Schoeller cloths (various weights) are the standard but there now there are some good tough softshell fabrics from other mills.

Look at the Patagonia Guide or Simple Guide pants. The Guide pants sound more like what you need, soft shell, stretch, crampon guards, water resistant (H2NO), durable, and comfortable. The Simple Guides are much light, and while great here in the Sierra's probably not a good choice for the more variable Euro weather.

caveat: I am a Patagucci fanboi (I live in Venture, their headquarters, so have lots of clients and friends who are employees).

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

The old Alpine Guide pants are great. The new ones, with Polartech Powershield Stretch Woven fabric (in other words, a more expensive version of the excellent fabric they used before) cost much more, and have an integrated belt. Has there ever been an integrated belt that didn't suck? Honestly, I'm curious. Maybe they're still great, but I wasn't excited by the changes.

The Mixed Guide pants have velcro pockets. That's pretty stupid. Oh well.

The Simple Guides seem true to the excellent older versions.

The OR Cirques look pretty damn good.

^^^You are right, I didn't realize they changed them (and ruined them)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Velcro pockets?? *sigh*
    Sometimes I just want to make my own gear..
    I'll probably go with a Euro brand because of the fit..
    Thanks for all responses, softshell seems the way to go..