Herniated Disk L4/L5 - Getting Back on the Slopes

Hi, I am new here so I am not sure if this is the right place but I was told to come here after an initial post, anyway, I herniated a disk in my lower back about 8 months ago. I can now walk normally now and get a dull pain if I sit for long periods of time. My doctor said I could re-aggravate the injury if I have a severe enough fall on my back.

I was just wondering if there is anyone who knows someone with a herniated disk who was able to continue snowboarding? If so what protective gear did they use? What was the severity of the disk herniation?

Cheers!

There are quite a few here on the board. Did you do a search? You will be called a jong for asking a question which is easily found by searching. Jong

You mention doctor, but not PT. That is the important person to you. Get a good program and follow it.

Impossible for any of us to diagnosis much less forecast health over the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    There are quite a few here on the board. Did you do a search? You will be called a jong for asking a question which is easily found by searching. Jong

You mention doctor, but not PT. That is the important person to you. Get a good program and follow it.

Impossible for any of us to diagnosis much less forecast health over the internet.
    Whey he said^, Jong. Also core strengthening is probably the most important "protective gear" I would recommend to take it easy on the hill and don't fall, but your a snowboarder, you'll fall

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Protective gear is not the answer. Further herniation will not occur from a blow to the back but by things like twisting, landing hard on your butt, hyperflexion. What kind of doc are you seeing.?

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    core strengthening is probably the most important "protective gear"
    This.

And the big question for you OP...could you snowboard worth a shit before you were injured?

Not a doctor but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night...and I've been through this.

Two questions; how did you injure your back and what have you tried so far? From my experience, it is best to do whatever non-surgical rehab you can that helps reduce the pain and realigns the back. I had success with Chiropractic care, other people I know had success with Physical Therapy, massage and even acupuncture.

Once the pain is reduced enough, go running. That sounds really counter-intuitive I know, but it strengthens all of the little stabilizer muscles that your back needs to stay healthy. 80% of the time back pain goes away completely doing nothing more than that.

All that said, full disclosure, years later I did have a recurrence of pain that was bad enough that I had continual sciatic pain down my left leg. I did everything I mentioned above except acupuncture, and the pain went down but did not go away. After a year of this, while sorting laundry, I threw my back out completely and couldn't move. At that point, I got an MRI, found a really good surgeon, and had decompression surgery. That was a Godsend and I've been 100% ever since BUT, I will caution to do that last. During my first bout with back pain I had 2 surgeons tell me I needed disc fusion and I should not run, snowboard, ski etc. again. If you find a doctor that gives you this same prognosis, don't walk, but run as best you can and get a second opinion immediately.

As for snowboarding now, even with pain, I did it and never regretted it. Stay away from the parks and pipes where you could land badly. It will be painful getting up but as long as you can do it, I wouldn't let it stop you from getting out there.

One last thing - stay far away from the pain meds. They don't help and coming back down off of them sucks balls. Nothing stronger than Advil or Tylenol - period.