Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    One more:
    Last edited by From_the_NEK; 09-25-2014 at 11:52 AM.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    I think a lot of the discussion decreased in the MPC submission threads because there was a general feeling that it could influence inclusion of one picture over another in the top 5.
    That makes sense, but I thought this was just for fun. Are people that serious about it? I'm happy to go with the flow as I'm not really a regular contributor.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Quote Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
    Are people that serious about it?
    This is the internet, of course they are!
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.

That makes sense, but I thought this was just for fun. Are people that serious about it? I'm happy to go with the flow as I'm not really a regular contributor.
    I'd like to see more discussion. Maybe I could learn a thing or two. Let's try to avoid "why didn't you pick image...". I'm not sure if the comments should be on the entry thread or the voting thread.

A while back there was a feeling by some that comments unfairly biased people for or against certain pictures. It's also a bit tricky for me to comment when I also participate in the MPCs -- conflict of interest. But in general, I think without getting feedback/comments, for those of us trying to improve, it can be hard to know what works and what doesn't. Maybe one way would be for the MPC organizer, when putting up the voting thread, to explain why he/she chose the finalists and why maybe some other ones didn't make the cut. I know some have done that in the past, and that helps.
    Gallery || Facebook || Instagram
    Go that way, really fast...if something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiilbert View Post
    1:

Very nice -- this would be even better with a piece of treat/object/something interesting just in front of the nose (maybe the treat could be partly out of focus) -- thus really bringing the nose into the focal point of the story as well as the DoF.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Really like the out of focus area in the foreground leading the eyes to the in-focus areas. I think it works very well for the theme, since the DoF is an integral part of the composition and the viewing experience. When there's an in-focus object in the foreground and a blurred background, the sharp foreground just stops the eye and could keep it from wandering the shallow DoF (unless there's something very recognizable/stand-out item in the blurred areas).

Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    I'd like to see more discussion. Maybe I could learn a thing or two. Let's try to avoid "why didn't you pick image...". I'm not sure if the comments should be on the entry thread or the voting thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
    A while back there was a feeling by some that comments unfairly biased people for or against certain pictures. It's also a bit tricky for me to comment when I also participate in the MPCs -- conflict of interest. But in general, I think without getting feedback/comments, for those of us trying to improve, it can be hard to know what works and what doesn't. Maybe one way would be for the MPC organizer, when putting up the voting thread, to explain why he/she chose the finalists and why maybe some other ones didn't make the cut. I know some have done that in the past, and that helps.
    I was thinking along these lines as well. I would be happy to post my thoughts on the photos I end up choosing as well as some of the near misses. I could outline my decision process as well.

I guess my concern is more on the side of things turning into a shit show, but truth isn't around anymore so maybe I should be less concerned?
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Thanks for the feedback Fuzz! I always appreciate your input. I wish the picture had some more color in the background because I think the contrast would have set it off. I didn't set the shot up, just saw the opportunity after she propped her lawn chair against the front door - grabbed my camera and the 50 1.4 real quick and took some shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
    Really like the out of focus area in the foreground leading the eyes to the in-focus areas.
    I agree. Nice shot!

Despite the fall colors coming on strong, there are still some blooms hanging around in the garden out back:

Thanks to "From_the_NEK" who made me realize that there are MPCs on TGR!
    Here's my contribution (I'll just copy&paste the description from the other thread).

"No Pain, No Gain" - I never thought that shooting a road bike race could be very interesting, but boy, was I wrong...
    12°C and heavy rain made for some spectacular shots!

Out of the Dark by Christoph Oberschneider Photography, on Flickr

Friday bump. Lots of great entries so far, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get out and shoot this weekend. Or stay in and shoot. Whatever. Cutoff is 10:00 pm MDT on Monday.

Friday bump. Lots of great entries so far, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get out and shoot this weekend. Or stay in and shoot. Whatever. Cutoff is 10:00 pm MDT on Monday.
    To be honest, I am not sure if this qualifies. But there is a close up / far away kind of thing going on, so I am putting it out there:

"... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

My last two, Pilot Rock Trail - Pisgah Forest/Mills River, NC

BoulderGarden1-2 by cbkoontz, on Flickr

BikesBoulderGarden by cbkoontz, on Flickr

Wave
    by kirknelson, on Flickr

Lots of awesome shots in this MPC

Coyote1-3036 by jrmorris-mt, on Flickr

Great shots this time around. OP is gonna have a heck of a time narrowing it down to 5 for the vote!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I was just thinking the same..

Went through 4 shots that I tried to get for this and didn't like the results.. especially after seeing a few of these.

Love that interest is picking up in the MPC.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Went a little more abstract with mine:

2. Third floor bathroom?

3. On this one the reflection causes the DoF.

"Only" 32 photos to choose from so far and there are still a few hours left to submit more. Have fun BScotch

I thought I was going to be up late writing a report, but it's pretty much done. This will be fun!