Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    For what it's worth...Subaru recommended this fix on our Legacy (06, 95k miles at the time) a few years back. All in they said head gasket, clutch, timing belt etc would be $3,800.

Anything under 100k is super early for a head gasket, so we haggled and got them to the head gasket that repair as a quasi-warranty for $600 total...then did the clutch and other stuff for around $1500.

Sounds like your car is newer model with similar mileage. You should go to them and ask them to subsidize the cost of this repair.

WestCoastPDR Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsdesk View Post
    For what it's worth...Subaru recommended this fix on our Legacy (06, 95k miles at the time) a few years back. All in they said head gasket, clutch, timing belt etc would be $3,800.

Anything under 100k is super early for a head gasket, so we haggled and got them to the head gasket that repair as a quasi-warranty for $600 total...then did the clutch and other stuff for around $1500.

Sounds like your car is newer model with similar mileage. You should go to them and ask them to subsidize the cost of this repair.
    That's a nice goodwill repair. Takes a little effort by service dept manager at the dealership. If you have an established relationship with the dealership they would be more inclined to do this. Always worth a shot asking for it. But it is a 6 1/2 year old vehicle that has been out of warranty for 42 months....

Quote Originally Posted by bobsdesk View Post
    if you can haggle them down to that, it suggests very obviously that it's both over-charging on rates, and fabricating "necessary" work in the order

nice to see Subaru dealers are following the medical model

got a hangnail? okay, we'll address that as soon as we get a triple-panel blood screen, an MRI, a CAT scan, 5-6 x-rays, and a complete physical.

El chup- I have a 2013 low mileage 2.5l outback and have a similar oil leak problem. It's bizarre because I have yet to see a single drop of leaked oil in my driveway, which is white concrete btw. And yet I consistently have to add engine oil (light goes on, especially on hot summer drives from the bay to kirkwood). I took it to the dealer and they also made some comment about "seepage due to your local oil change guy not using a standard Subaru filter".

This was last week. I am monitoring it again today when I drive up to kirkwood.

I have owned 3 other Subies and loved them all. This is the first problem I have encountered. That said, I am leaning towards a honda for my next car (wife doesn't like rolling up to preschool in my rust-bucket old impreza).
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

Damn I'm glad I know how to turn a wrench. Timing belt on a suby ~1hour if I'm slow. Head gaskets, 5-6 hours in the car, 4 hours with the engine out and the clutch is only an extra 15-20minutes at that point
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Hey..Jonathan,(excuse..my..dying..spacebar;-)
    Agree..on..the.."dealer..hosing..you..in..some..ar eas"...I've..dealt..with..similar..up..here..in..M aine..they..rarely..draw..the..
    all-around..highly-skilled..guys,..mostly..specialized..in..areas...( tough..to..find..dealer..specifics..imho).
    Goto..a..specialized..shop..or..two..for..estimate s....
    I've..always..had..good..performance..with..either ..Toyota,..Honda..or..Nissan....Try..finding..the. .best..model..or..go..with..the..vault..on..top..( of..course..that..requires..the..roofrack....get.. solid..Yakima..or..Thule=$.01...you..can..then..ge t..any..boat..on..top..as..well.
    *MAZDA..has..really..stepped..their..engines..up.. too...fwiw.

Marketing..the..4-cyl..vehicles..is..strong..but..the..instant.."mus t..run..it..up..to..60..in..5seconds"..to..get..on to..highways...really..does..a..job..on..4-cylinder..cars..imho(just..opinion)..6-cyl..will..avoid..the..higher..speed..accelleratin g..issues.....$.01.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Sure TGR has a lot of baseless bs (which of course is part of the fun), but you are downright delusional.
    whatever helps you sleep at night. Honda. One full tune up, a 300 dollar break job, and one 100 dollar axle seal in 145k on an 05. I have owned suby. Good cars, but not honda.

Toyota FTW
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    Hey..Jonathan,(excuse..my..dying..spacebar;-)
    Agree..on..the.."dealer..hosing..you..in..some..ar eas"...I've..dealt..with..similar..up..here..in..M aine..they..rarely..draw..the..
    all-around..highly-skilled..guys,..mostly..specialized..in..areas...( tough..to..find..dealer..specifics..imho).
    Goto..a..specialized..shop..or..two..for..estimate s....
    I've..always..had..good..performance..with..either ..Toyota,..Honda..or..Nissan....Try..finding..the. .best..model..or..go..with..the..vault..on..top..( of..course..that..requires..the..roofrack....get.. solid..Yakima..or..Thule=$.01...you..can..then..ge t..any..boat..on..top..as..well.
    *MAZDA..has..really..stepped..their..engines..up.. too...fwiw.

Marketing..the..4-cyl..vehicles..is..strong..but..the..instant.."mus t..run..it..up..to..60..in..5seconds"..to..get..on to..highways...really..does..a..job..on..4-cylinder..cars..imho(just..opinion)..6-cyl..will..avoid..the..higher..speed..accelleratin g..issues.....$.01.

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

holy frijole, I laughed at a PNWBrit post!

PNWBrit!...
    Back with better keybd... Agree...Honda has given me Zero problems but Nissan has some vehicles with interesting dimensions..

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    holy frijole, I laughed at a PNWBrit post!
    Thanks.

I laugh at pretty much all of yours.

Well when I say that it's that kind of laugh where you shake your head at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

should be a "laugh at being thankful I'm not such a douche" sort of chuckle, but whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by mogul5480 View Post
    El chup- I have a 2013 low mileage 2.5l outback and have a similar oil leak problem. It's bizarre because I have yet to see a single drop of leaked oil in my driveway, which is white concrete btw. And yet I consistently have to add engine oil (light goes on, especially on hot summer drives from the bay to kirkwood). I took it to the dealer and they also made some comment about "seepage due to your local oil change guy not using a standard Subaru filter".
    Our 2009 Outback left small spots of oil on the garage floor. It didn't leak enough to require much oil be added between changes -- maybe only 1/3 quart over 6500-7000 miles. This was with synthetic oil and (IIRC) Purolator or Bosch filters.

I have no idea where the leak was, or if it was in any way related to the disappearing coolant. No signs of coolant seeping into the oil, no visible coolant stains on the exterior of the motor (e.g. none of the tell-tale crust you see when a water pump seeps), no signs of coolant or oil burning out the tailpipe. Did not throw an OBD code, no issues with annual smog check.

Replaced the Outback with a 2010 Nissan Xterra, which has been better all around, except for MPG. And the fulltime AWD of the Subaru was nice in snow. The Xterra is approaching 60K miles, hasn't needed any repairs, doesn't leak or consume any fluids. Just costs more in gas and tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

shit can't just evaporate from within the engine's confines unless it's volatile at room temp anyway (i.e. gasoline)

if you're losing oil or coolant routinely and the block is dry and the parking spot is dry beneath the block, you're burning what's being lost even if you're not detecting it when you put your sniffer to the tailpipe

Had a Subaru before and it was as expensive to maintain as our other car (a BMW). Sounds like a slippery slope here.

Dump the Ru and look at a Mazda CX-5 or CRV or something used in your price range with less than 30K miles. Kinda "Mom" cars but who gives a rats ass if you're hauling kids?

Steved, I'll trade you a good used keyboard for an Impreza.
    Alternatively, dealer says $5k trade-in for our 2009 105k Legacy without having to pay for the head gasket, and with the NSP VIP pricing.
    Biking over there now with the family to see how the ladies like a 2014 Impreza sedan.
    (Unfortunately the local Subaru mechanic is out for the month with a back problem.)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    shit can't just evaporate from within the engine's confines unless it's volatile at room temp anyway (i.e. gasoline)

if you're losing oil or coolant routinely and the block is dry and the parking spot is dry beneath the block, you're burning what's being lost even if you're not detecting it when you put your sniffer to the tailpipe
    True. It's these minor leaks (internal leak then burning) that are hard to diagnose. And even harder to convince an uncooperative dealership to repair under warranty.

Alternatively, dealer says $5k trade-in for our 2009 105k Legacy without having to pay for the head gasket, and with the NSP VIP pricing.
    Quickly ran it through Edmunds -- conclusion: take it. See if you can get a little more $ from the dealer on the trade, and take it.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Quickly ran it through Edmunds -- conclusion: take it. See if you can get a little more $ from the dealer on the trade, and take it.
    Super, thanks.
    Checking out the Impreza backseat right now. . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1410546707596.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	158145  

Super, thanks.
    Checking out the Impreza backseat right now. . .
    If you have a smartphone with you, run the car through Edmunds -- I don't know (and couldn't input) any details such as options, which might make a little difference in the pricing. But $5K looks solidly in the ballpark, esp. for a car with a known blown head gasket.

Yeah $5k seems good for that car especially considering that it's a no-hassle trade in. The Impreza sedan is not a very expensive car.

I'd run it through Kelly before.
    Is Edmunds better?
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/wh...ook-price.html

I'd run it through Kelly before.
    Is Edmunds better?
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/wh...ook-price.html
    I think KBB has improved over the years, but it seems to generate higher $ numbers. Edmunds has seemed more realistic to me.

All YMMV. None of these pricing guides can factor in unusual things, like rare or in-demand cars.

For you guys losing oil into the nethersphere, when was the last time your PCV valve was replaced?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I'd start talking new car but when negotiating, get a few grand more for the trade. They probably think they've got you where they want you, and they do, so your bargaining power is pretty low right now.

And go for the Outback with the 6cyl 3.6R if you can.