Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Getting the most out of an AIARE Level 1 class?

Work has moved me from NJ to CO so now that I'll be skiing in avy terrain, it's time for me to get some avy knowledge before I kill myself or my partners.

I'm looking at some classes in mid-December, either with Eli Helmuth or CMS in RMNP. With a mid-december class, is there a risk of a minimal snow pack providing less opportunity for learning? Would I be better served waiting till later in the season?

Anything else I should do to maximize my learning? Is there anything you wish you owned or did before your first class?

Thanks all

Good thread idea. I'm signed up for the level one class at Stevens pass on Jan 9-11 so I will be watching this thread.

I had the same thought about minimal snowpack as Northwest Mountain School offers December dates as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokeSomeRibs View Post
    Work has moved me from NJ to CO so now that I'll be skiing in avy terrain, it's time for me to get some avy knowledge before I kill myself or my partners.

I'm looking at some classes in mid-December, either with Eli Helmuth or CMS in RMNP. With a mid-december class, is there a risk of a minimal snow pack providing less opportunity for learning? Would I be better served waiting till later in the season?

Anything else I should do to maximize my learning? Is there anything you wish you owned or did before your first class?

Thanks all
    Definitely read or at least skim tremper's book beforehand. Show up with a crystal card and magnifying loop and 30 cm snow saw. Depth markings on your probe are nice to have, too. But it's not worth buying a new one just to have them if you already own a probe. Familiarize yourself with your beacon beforehand and practice a little.

I think you'll have an interesting enough snowpack by December. You'll have a few storms worth of layers by then and probably some fun facets to poke.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post

I think you'll have an interesting enough snowpack by December.
    this. An early season snowpack can be a VERY weak/interesting snowpack. Plus the pack may be shallow enough where you are able to dig to the ground and get the full story.

There will be stuff to look at in December. Level 1 is more about travel protocol, terrain selection, gear use, and human factors than about snowpack anyway.

Read Snow Sense in it's entirety before the class.

Going through Tremper's book certainly isn't a bad idea, but it's a bit more in-depth than a level 1 anyway. I'd actually recommend reading Tremper immediately AFTER taking the class.

If you're buying new stuff, practice with your gear beforehand. All of it. Skins, beacon, shovel, probe, pack, slopemeter, etc. Any time the guide has to spend time teaching you (or your classmates) how to use your basic shit is less time spent talking avy stuff. They'll teach the correct methods of how to shovel, but you don't want to make the guide teach you how to assemble and disassemble it, for example. Same with beacon searches, etc.

You won't use a crystal card and magnifying glass in L1. You might use a snow saw to do some basic pit work but AIARE has moved most of that to L2 in order to focus more on terrain and human factors in L1.

If you're not a very fit individual, change that by getting fit. Too many classes see a mixed bag of fitness levels which is really hard for all parties involved.

I'd say volunteer as often as you can during the class to be the test subject who attempts a pit/shovel/etc. test, whatever, as going through the motions and getting a physical feel for the snow/tests really helped me bring it home and memorize it. Versus standing back and watching.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    I'd say volunteer as often as you can during the class to be the test subject who attempts a pit/shovel/etc. test, whatever, as going through the motions and getting a physical feel for the snow/tests really helped me bring it home and memorize it. Versus standing back and watching.
    ^^^ This ^^^

And in class when something isn't clear, ask questions or discuss. If you are missing something, so are others.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

The most important thing is what you do AFTER your training: apply what you were taught, especially trip planning, recognising avalanche terrain and human factors. Doing the course won't help you otherwise.

Show up with a crystal card and magnifying loop
    Are thy still teaching that stuff??? I would check first.
    Life is not lift served.

X2 on knowing your gear before hand. Don't make the instructor have to teach you how to put skins on or work your bindings. Practice skinning at the local ski hill. Also, practice using your beacon, and setting up your probe. There's a ton of info online on how to do all of this.

And December will be great for a class. You'll get a close look at the shitty layers that you'll be dealing with the rest of the season, and it'll give you the rest of the season to practice and use your skills.

Lastly, get in the habit of checking the CAIC website everyday. Start now. Peruse through the Observations tab, read past accident reports, and learn from the mistakes of others. This is probably the most valuable tool you can get and it's free, unless you decide to donate to them, which you should.

http://avalanche.state.co.us

Try to get a good group when going into the field. People who seem like they've traveled in the backcountry.

I got stuck in a group with a first time split-boarder. Fucking miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    X2 on knowing your gear before hand. Don't make the instructor have to teach you how to put skins on or work your bindings. Practice skinning at the local ski hill. Also, practice using your beacon, and setting up your probe. There's a ton of info online on how to do all of this.

http://avalanche.state.co.us
    Good advice here ^. I had a guy in my class that had rented all his gear and had never even tried to put his boot in dynafit bindings before showing up to class. You wouldn't believe how much of the class time we spent waiting on this clown. Don't be that guy. Same with all the rest of the gear.

If you've done some reading before the class and at least are familiar with all the terminology, it will help in how much information you absorb and will help you to ask better and more informative questions.

Also, take the drills and rescue scenarios seriously instead of just going through the motion to satisfy the instructor. It may seem silly but where else are you going to get that close to a real rescue scenario? Volunteer to take lead or be a test dummy. Be involved.

Great info everyone. Thanks for weighing in. Keep it coming too! This is probably a good candidate to add to the sticky above?

I did mine in RMNP when the snowpack was thin. NBD there will still be plenty of snowpack variety to learn from and I'm sure you'll find some wind loaded areas for your pit tests.

Make sure you bring appropriate cold weather gear as you'll be sitting for a few hours during portions of the field work.

RMNP is probably my favorite places to ski. Have fun!

I took my L1 with CMS last year. I was very happy with the class. Russel was the teacher. I did a weekend class in March. Stayed right up there in their dorms. I wouldn't worry about the snowpack to much. They focus on mostly other things. They give you reading material before the class. Show up with questions.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post

Read Snow Sense in it's entirety before the class.
    Is this the book?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is...refix=snow+sen

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    That be the one.

Quote Originally Posted by UllrsParadise View Post
    Also, take the drills and rescue scenarios seriously instead of just going through the motion to satisfy the instructor. It may seem silly but where else are you going to get that close to a real rescue scenario? Volunteer to take lead or be a test dummy. Be involved.
    this. Yeah, you'll feel like a dork compared to your high school self, but it's so worth it. You're paying for it. Get your money's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    That be the one.
    Great thank you. Ordering soon. Class in January.

+1 for using your stuff a few times before the class. This might be obvious, but try to avoid ending up in a group with anybody using snowshoes

Quote Originally Posted by wag View Post
    +1 for using your stuff a few times before the class. This might be obvious, but try to avoid ending up in a group with anybody using snowshoes
    I have two buddies taking the class with me and the ratio of clients to guide is 7:1 so hopefully the other 4 have their shit together. Nothing I can do about that.

a healthy person on snowshoes is as fast as a fat person on AT gear.
    long live the jahrator

Bumping this up for the new winter season

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    look around for non AIARE alternative classes
    never took avvy 1
    but took a semester long snow science class thru the u that totally blew away the weekend avvy 2 class for about the same $$$
    it was a 4 hour a week class time w/ 5 hours field time every fri and bonus ask the instructors whatever during happy hour at the gmd or rustler
    that class garnered no cert because skipped a lot of companion rescue and some important things, but
    that certs like a degree aint much more than a piece of paper.
    using the knowledge is what matters
    and that class gave me way more snow geekery knowledge than avvy 2
    dug 10x the pits got to observe the snowpack over a semester vrs. a weeekend
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Show up with a crystal card and magnifying loop and 30 cm snow saw.
    Are these really needed for a level 1 class? I am taking my class soon and they were not on the gear list???