Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
    Umm if you are referring to me go fuck yourself! If not then carry on with the usual shitshow
    Didn't even read the thread. Just saw it dealt with the afterlife. Had to add my $.02 because I'm a special snowflake and my opinion matters. Truth is I'm pretty sure I'm at least a little bit retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by jma233 View Post
    Of course I'm going to tell a 6yo that their dog/gramps/etc is in heaven because its a sweet notion that makes life a little less scary when you're that age.
    If this is truly what you believe and what you want your kid to believe when they're an adult, then at least sack up enough to not "lie" to them. Lying to someone for their comfort is bs. Even if it's for a child. They'll respect you much more for it when they're older.

However, it is perhaps YOU who are caught up in a lie that there is nothing in the hereafter. How are you positively, absolutely certain in your belief, or the lack thereof? Hard for you to be an expert on the subject, is it not? As skeptical of all the accounts of the afterlife as I am, people who have had near death experiences are far more of expert witnesses than those who have not.

Death is a certainty. That we can all agree on. However, what comes next should be contemplated on much more seriously than the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, or any other false equivalency.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    But I'm not dead yet!
    'Ere! 'E says 'e's not dead!
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    If this is truly what you believe and what you want your kid to believe when they're an adult, then at least sack up enough to not "lie" to them. Lying to someone for their comfort is bs. Even if it's for a child. They'll respect you much more for it when they're older.

However, it is perhaps YOU who are caught up in a lie that there is nothing in the hereafter. How are you positively, absolutely certain in your belief, or the lack thereof? Hard for you to be an expert on the subject, is it not? As skeptical of all the accounts of the afterlife as I am, people who have had near death experiences are far more of expert witnesses than those who have not.

Death is a certainty. That we can all agree on. However, what comes next should be contemplated on much more seriously than the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, or any other false equivalency.
    I think I found Shrödinger's cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Dead or alive? Wait, don't look.

Both, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by jma233 View Post
    Didn't even read the thread. Just saw it dealt with the afterlife. Had to add my $.02 because I'm a special snowflake and my opinion matters. Truth is I'm pretty sure I'm at least a little bit retarded.
    No Problem, I'm full blown retarded....just ask my wife!

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...l#.VAkT8LxdWos

In the history of human thought, profundity often comes in the form of recognizing the limitations of our ability to observe reality. Granting mystical proportions to our faulty observations, while very popular (and even profitable), is neither impressive, nor important.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    In the history of human thought, profundity often comes in the form of recognizing the limitations of our ability to observe reality. Granting mystical proportions to our faulty observations, while very popular (and even profitable), is neither impressive, nor important.
    Well said. The hardest thing for people is to accept what they do not and cannot know--how the world can go on without them, or the big one--why is there anything? Does that mean there is a god and an afterlife? No. Does it mean there isn't?. No. It means exactly what it means when my wife asks me where her glasses are--I DON'T FUCKING KNOW.

Highly classified medical secret--we like to tell patients that they died and came back when they haven't actually ever died. It makes us feel like we're hot shits. But please don't tell anyone I said that.

It would be much easier for your wife to accept the fact that her glasses are in a better place then for to admit you don't know. Life's mysteries are much easier to accept if we make up answers then to actually look for answers.

While there are probably things we can never know, to say as such is to admit defeat and to hand the issue over to the religious nutters. That is the beauty of science, we can admit what we don't know, accept it, and look for ways of finding an answer.

Brains do weird shit whether we are awake, sleeping/dreaming dead, or near dead. We have a long way to go to figure it out. I don't know what these people experience in these states, but the simple explanation is that they are just manifestations of screwed up consciousness. The simple solution is usually the correct solutions. Many of these people say they come back with this "universal knowledge", yet they don't know shit anymore then they did before they "died". If they are out buzzing planets, bring back a piece of Mars or Mercury.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Channeling. What ever happened to all those fukkers that were allowing the spirits of dead people to talk though them. Seemed real popular, then faded out, I guess.

Hutash, you ever bring back any animals that said it was awesome?

Death after life, interdasting.
    watch out for snakes

I see dead people!

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post

Hutash, you ever bring back any animals that said it was awesome?
    Brought a few back, but none have said anything about it. A few have tried to bite me, if that means anything.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    I want my kid to believe what she wants to believe. So I'll teach her to be a critical thinker and in the meantime I won't scare the shit out of her with lessons about my perception of death. Its ok to placate a little being that looks first and foremost for security; they'll figure out soon enough that Santa doesnt exist and won't hold it against you.