Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Thanks for the update hefe - those FL's yuck.

Went to the gorge on sunday, dust on a crust like people said. We found a nasty weak layer about 80 cm down, did a compression test and the column slid right off just cutting it with the snow saw, potential for huge avalanche up there so watch out next time you ski up there. K3 or mustang was also doing avalanche control using explosives

^^How high up? What aspect? We only went to about 1800m and turned around. Too cold to dig a pit, and the burner was calling.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Hey, sorry to spam but is there anyone in the Invermere area on here by chance? I desperately need a pair of skis shipped from there to Squamish as I'd like to avoid the 20-hour trip. I will provide plenty of beer money on top of shipping costs.

Quote Originally Posted by filthyfrenchbum View Post
    Hey, sorry to spam but is there anyone in the Invermere area on here by chance? I desperately need a pair of skis shipped from there to Squamish as I'd like to avoid the 20-hour trip. I will provide plenty of beer money on top of shipping costs.
    invermere is in rockies thread. good luck

Has anyone been up to Mt. Macpherson Fingers or Burnt Knob in the past week? Wondering what the conditions are like?

Managed to spend a couple days at the pass, Wednesday, Thursday. Everything above 1800m was light, boot top pow. some wind affected snow in the alpine, but lots of sheltered options... First day was Mix of cloud and sun and very chilly... Yesterday, blue skies all day, little warmer. 1st day was Ursus Minor. Great snow, beautiful views over to the north side of 8812. Very tempting, to drop in the west side, but with a late start, early season legs, and short days, We skied down the chute and found a slot into dispatchers bowl and out. Great snow, but the light was a bit flat in the afternoon....
    Yesterday, with blue skies, thought we'd try Video, but by the time we got to the base the sun had been going hard for 3-4 hours and a pit showed the layer 120 cm down was still reacting in the moderate range. Didn't see anything moving over the two days, but if something does, its going to be big! So it was just up to the top of the pass between Video and Ursus, that had already slid. Steep and bullet proof for the first 5 turns but then it was soft and sunny! From the bottom it was back up the ridge to 8812 bowl. Best run, by far. Soft and consistent all the way to the ski out... Amazing couple days with great views!

Clouds heading down Ursus

Blue skies looking back

From Ursus Minor, looking over to Ursus Major (Still some big holes back there!)

Day two looking at the west face of Ursus Minor

Looking down into Hospital bowl

On the ridge toward 8812

A few tracks already down the bowl.

A Thanks for the update!

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    ^^How high up? What aspect? We only went to about 1800m and turned around. Too cold to dig a pit, and the burner was calling.
    1900m on east aspect

Other side of the pass could b where it's at or maybe other side of divide

Was raining to ~ 100m below Kootenay Pass yesterday. Filling in slowly above.

Chiming in from south of border out here in Bellingham.

Whats the week look like for snow out your way, I seem to only be able to find rudimentary forecasts, and am wondering if our 8 inches of forecasted rain is heading your way and turning into snow.

Looks better than here. Will have to start paying attention? Enjoy the season.
    off your knees Louie

Supposed to rain up to about 2200m - 2400m this week. Could be just what the pack needs a as reset. Hopefully normal December conditions can follow. Was up at Caribou Basin towards Mica on Saturday and around 3 valley Sunday. Both spots had excellent snow above 1800m. Stable as well. Pretty low tide though still.

I got to the hill this morning to enjoy the reported 14cm of fresh. It was fun but the snow turned to complete elephant snot below about 1800m. I can't imagine the skiing will be any fun anywhere for the next little bit.

Anyone up at Whitewater Monday see this man, Edward? He hasn't been see since he went up. Apparently his vehicle is around the Glory chair. Contact RCMP if any info please.

Can someone press the reset button please

This is the reset button. Hopefully starting fresh after this weekend. Glad I got out last weekend in the good stuff

Glad they found Edward... Must have been some miserable nights.

Can't wait for these temps to drop, this rain is horrible. A good time to get the skis waxed, gear sorted, and trips planned out. It will be back.

I was back at the hill today to see how the snow was before making a decision on touring tomorrow. There was good snow in North Bowl above about 2,000m. and the Sub Peak hike was worth it. The Three Bears area was OK, but the trees that get you back to the Stoke Chair were terrifying. I didn't ski off-piste below that.

I guess it's not so bad I have a ton of work to do this weekend.

Ditching the flatland and heading out Tuesday AM for Nelson for a month, will attempt to turn this storm around and bring the fat flakes on back. Kicking it down by the lake. Evening Ridge, WH2O slack&back if I can score hand me down passes, KPass, Waldie, the Bonningtons, etc...
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

So maybe up high in the pass would be ok...? Only been skiing once this year on a death crust. Crazy shit.

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    So maybe up high in the pass would be ok...? Only been skiing once this year on a death crust. Crazy shit.
    Heard it's okay above 2100m ish
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

Ya get high. Life is good. Lower elevation look out but alpine is skiing well.

Toured in the Rossland Range (Murphy Creek) yesterday. 30-50cm of previously rain soaked, now frozen snow, with <1cm of fluff on top. The frosted surface is edge-able in places, scratchy in others. Best on the roads and in the fresh clear-cut, full obstacle course in the forest, and only marginally better above tree-line. Only up-side was that we weren't punching through, and that we were skiing. Good practice for traversing.