Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    I'm of 2 minds ...

do I wish we had a dump like revy to make everything slide on that HUMUNGOUS hoar frost layer ...

or

do we want this lighter snowfall to "repair" the early season pack ???

fark those crystals were all time epic !!! and everywhere ... creeks are now death traps ...

I gota get out there this week and put in de actived cut blocks now or its might be lost for the season ...

solo sounds like the safe option eh?
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

20-35cm for town slated thru Thursday, plus more that's gonna fall as rain down low. I'd say clean flush?

That is what the weather network predicting those figures. Just like the unreliable snow forecast the amounts are on the ambitious side of things. So let's say about 15-25 for town and hope that the rain stays away or just stays down low. Hopefully everything gets cleaned out and we can start again. I imagine some nice bluebird days will come after the snow, with some decent temps in the low minus teens.

Does Golden have the early November rain crust like the Koots and GNP?

Yes there are some aspects out there with a spooky Halloween crust around Golden that is reactive in places. I'm not sure what that crust has been up to with this latest snow (~20cm) as I've been busy with the work thing. I'm planning on going for a few laps on the ski hill after work today to get a quick fix.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenshowers View Post
    That is what the weather network predicting those figures. Just like the unreliable snow forecast the amounts are on the ambitious side of things. So let's say about 15-25 for town and hope that the rain stays away or just stays down low. Hopefully everything gets cleaned out and we can start again. I imagine some nice bluebird days will come after the snow, with some decent temps in the low minus teens.
    Nah, that was the weather office. Weather network is useless, I don't even pay attention to their BS anymore. With the office projecting another 15-25, plus the 10-odd I shoveled earlier today, I'd say we're on track

Eldo- somewhere around 1800 or 2000 is where the crust started. Higher on solar aspects, maybe 22-23

Quote Originally Posted by angrysasquatch View Post
    20-35cm for town slated thru Thursday, plus more that's gonna fall as rain down low. I'd say clean flush?
    Well I think that we're close to the 35cm mark in town and still nuking. If it rains, it could make things very interesting on the roads especially if followed by a cold snap. KHMR will be opening on Dec 5 or 6 for the bonus weekend. The hill could definitely use a good meter down low as it is a tad sporty at the moment.

19 overnight at LL, and 13 overnight at SSV. Looking good in the rockies.

Quay opens on sat (cascade and Mystic)

Quote Originally Posted by angrysasquatch View Post
    Eldo- somewhere around 1800 or 2000 is where the crust started. Higher on solar aspects, maybe 22-23
    Thanks.

Damn, snow moved north and stopped in Kimbo last night and now sun poking out and +6.

We've been getting burned so far this fall on snow. Kinda figured that would happy. Four great snow years in a row is too much to ask for around here.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenshowers View Post
    If it rains, it could make things very interesting on the roads especially if followed by a cold snap.
    The idiot truckers don't need any excuse to make things 'very interesting' on the roads this year. Lost count of the wrecks around Revelstoke. After one week into snow season on the highway 'only' one death and three major road closures - longest 14 hours :-(

Pano got a good dump,reporting 38cm in 24hrs....

Marmot was unreal today!! Faceshots, white room goodness. 22cm at 8:am with some wind loading and about 10 on my car when I left at noon. Lots of bottomless skiing but if you could hold your speed it was up and in your face. My fitness did not match my level of radness today. Sore legs...
    Definately expert skiing only, as we saw lots of intermediates getting worked. Lots of fucked bases I'm sure as the hill went from typical early season rockies to full on mid winter shredding.
    Still snowing!!!
    Best November in Jasper for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Pano got a good dump,reporting 38cm in 24hrs....
    is Pano open to public? or just racers?

Another 17+cm overnight, and 50+ in this storm cycle at The Lake Louise Ski Resort. Ya, OK, I'll go and play in the snow again.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    is Pano open to public? or just racers?

Another 17+cm overnight, and 50+ in this storm cycle at The Lake Louise Ski Resort. Ya, OK, I'll go and play in the snow again.
    Pano Opens to public dec 12

Marmot is calling 55cm in 24 hours (probably 35-40 overnight) and 75 in 48 hours. Delayed opening due to drifting, I am at work buit contemplating ditching. The alpine may be a wind fucked mess. We are now set for December.
    Move along nothing to see here.

Alberta always seems to dodge the pineapples we can get on the "warm side of the Rockies."

I see it's -19 in Banff. Still +7 in Cranbrook so heading out to play disc golf with some buddies before the storm heads south.

I think this warmth came from the south, reports of freezing rain in Crowsnest pass this morning. We got close to a foot of snow this week in town in Invermere, then yesterday/last night it all melted. Guessing by the snow line on the Standford range (east) it was warm to somewhere between 1800 or 2000m (?). If you don't like the weather just wait an hour till it changes again.

From the GNP avy forecast:

A large avalanche cycle occurred yesterday with natural avalanches occurring on all aspects, flattening the alder on avalanche fans. Along the highway corridor 28 size 2-2.5's, 9 size 3's and 2 size 3.5 avalanches were observed yesterday. As temperatures and freezing levels rose the avalanches became wet in character.

Fuck you alder!

Additionally, the summit of the pass topped out at 0*, so things might not be that soaked and miserable down low. If the cold sucks out some of the moisture from the top of the pack, ski quality might be good in a bit too.

2014/2015 Canadian Rockies Thread

Um, yeah, I so rarely ski Alberta anymore but the Lake today was definitely something...special!

Over 70 cms in 36 hours at Marmot... Today was all time. Super deep but very cold. -24 with a biting wind. Massively delayed opening as Marmot is barely ready for 18cms so the upper didn't open until 10:55...Then it was on. Typically empty and faceshots galore. Biggest dump I have seen in awhile in the Rockies. We are fine now for the annual drought. Hopefully half of Edmonton shows up to tomahawk through the trees to pack it all down so we don't lose it. Not enough skiers today to track it all out.

wonder how many avi deaths will happen this weekend? and how many later will be caused by this huge snow, or huge warming later in the year.

Oh well. nice to ski it now.

Fk this weather is nuts. Wind changed around 2pm & promptly dumped ~20cm in town. I had some domestic shite to attend to in Calgary this wkend, but turned around & went back home when the snowplow got stuck sliding backwards down the hill by the radium hot springs 😬

Quote Originally Posted by weibo View Post
    Marmot is calling 55cm in 24 hours (probably 35-40 overnight) and 75 in 48 hours. Delayed opening due to drifting, I am at work buit contemplating ditching. The alpine may be a wind fucked mess. We are now set for December.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    Over 70 cms in 36 hours at Marmot... Today was all time. Super deep but very cold. -24 with a biting wind. Massively delayed opening as Marmot is barely ready for 18cms so the upper didn't open until 10:55...Then it was on. Typically empty and faceshots galore. Biggest dump I have seen in awhile in the Rockies. We are fine now for the annual drought. Hopefully half of Edmonton shows up to tomahawk through the trees to pack it all down so we don't lose it. Not enough skiers today to track it all out.
    Nice! See you boys up there at some point this winter!

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    wonder how many avi deaths will happen this weekend? and how many later will be caused by this huge snow, or huge warming later in the year...
    Yeah, it's kind of bone chilling to read the snowmobile website forums.

Doesn't matter what warnings the locals post, guys got their days off from the job in AB or SK and are going sledding in B.C. this weekend no matter what.

Hoping the worst they experience is getting stuck all day.